    Message 1 of 1 , Feb 9, 2006

      FRIDAY 10 FEBRUARY 2006

      .IN CHRIST LIES THE FULFILLMENT OF ALL HUMAN ASPIRATIONS
      .REDOUBLE EFFORTS TO ERADICATE WORLD POVERTY
      .AUDIENCES

      IN CHRIST LIES THE FULFILLMENT OF ALL HUMAN ASPIRATIONS

      VATICAN CITY, FEB 10, 2006 (VIS) - This morning, Benedict XVI received participants in the plenary assembly of the Congregation for the Doctrine of the Faith, telling them that in their service to the entire Church, and in particular to bishops, they must highlight "the centrality of the Catholic faith, in its authentic _expression."

      The Pope pointed out how "when the perception of this centrality diminishes, the fabric of ecclesial life also loses its original vivacity and is damaged, decaying into a form of sterile activism or deteriorating into mere worldly political cunning." Yet, if the truth of faith holds a central position in Christian life, human existence "is revived by a love that knows neither rest nor limit."

      "Jesus Christ," the Holy Father went on, "is the Truth made Flesh, Who draws the world to Him. The light radiated by Christ is splendor of truth. All other truths are fragments of the Truth that He is and that leads back to Him. Jesus is the pole star of human freedom, and without Him [that freedom] loses direction, because without knowledge of the truth freedom is distorted and isolated, and is reduced to sterile will."

      Benedict XVI highlighted the fact that Jesus Christ "attracts to Himself all men's hearts, opening them and filling them with joy. In fact, only the truth is capable of occupying the mind and making it fully happy." This happiness, he went on, frees the soul from "the shackles of egoism, making it capable of authentic love."

      "Love for truth also inspires and guides the Christian approach to the modern world, and the Church's evangelizing commitment," said the Pope. The great advances made in the field of scientific knowledge, "have helped us better to understand the mystery of the creation." However this progress "has sometimes been so rapid as to make it very difficult to recognize how it can be compatible with the truths concerning mankind and the world revealed by God. At times, certain scientific assertions have even been opposed to such truths." On this matter, the Pope reaffirmed the need for "deeper knowledge of the truths discovered by reason, in the certainty that there is no cause for competition of any kind between reason and faith."

      Benedict XVI then indicated that "dialogue between faith and reason, religion and science, offers not only the possibility of demonstrating to modern man, in a more effective and convincing manner, the reasonableness of faith in God, but also that of showing that in Jesus Christ lies the definitive fulfillment of all authentic human aspirations. Thus, serious evangelizing efforts cannot overlook the questions arising from modern scientific discoveries and philosophical debate."

      The Holy Father concluded his address by telling the members of the Congregation for the Doctrine of the Faith that "your service to the fullness of the faith is a service to truth and, hence, to joy, a joy that comes from the depths of the heart. ... From this viewpoint, your doctrinal ministry can well be defined as 'pastoral.' Your service is, in fact, a service to the full diffusion of the light of God in the world!"

      * * *

      REDOUBLE EFFORTS TO ERADICATE WORLD POVERTY

      VATICAN CITY, FEB 10, 2006 (VIS) - Archbishop Celestino Migliore, Holy See permanent observer to the United Nations, yesterday participated in the 44th session of the Commission for Social Development of the U.N. Economic and Social Council (ECOSOC), which is meeting to review the results of the first "Decade for the Eradication of Poverty," a United Nations initiative covering the period 1997 to 2006.

      Archbishop Migliore opened his English-language speech by observing that, although between 1981 and 2001 the proportion of the world population living in extreme poverty declined from 40 to 21 percent, "that still leaves far too many countries and peoples living with high levels of poverty."

      Despite "the encouraging progress being made in poverty reduction in several Asian countries," the archbishop went on, "the global picture is mixed, with sub-Saharan Africa having made little or no progress in reducing the incidence of poverty in the 1990s. If these trends continue, only eight African countries will halve extreme poverty by 2015." And "the number of Africans now living on less than 1 U.S. dollar a day has nearly doubled since 1980, from 165 million to 315 million."

      The permanent observer appealed for renewed efforts from the international community. "A three-pronged agenda is needed for developing countries: to improve the terms of trade; to double aid assistance; and to provide further debt relief.

      "Lessons from the experience of some developing countries, particularly in Asia, make it clear that rapid poverty reduction cannot take place without sustainable economic growth in which the poor share equitably in the benefits. Consequently, developing countries' leaders need to be encouraged and assisted in the pursuit of policies that will enable their countries to attain much higher economic growth rates than so far achieved since 2000."

      Archbishop Migliore concluded by emphasizing how the Holy See "continues to see a key role for ECOSOC in monitoring progress towards achieving MDGs (Millennium Development Goals) in the world's poorest countries. Such monitoring needs to be done now, on an annual basis, given the close proximity of 2015," the date by which, according to the MDGs, levels of poverty should be reduced by half.

      VATICAN CITY, FEB 10, 2006 (VIS) - The Holy Father today received in separate audiences:

      - Cardinal Miloslav Vlk, archbishop of Prague, Czech Republic.

      - Cardinal Christoph Schonborn O.P., archbishop of Vienna, Austria.

      - Two prelates from the Episcopal Conference of the Democratic Republic of the Congo on their "ad limina" visit:

      - Bishop Faustin Ngabu of Goma.

      - Msgr. Pierre-Celestin Tshitoko Mamba, bishop-elect of Luebo.

      Monday of the Sixth Week in Ordinary Time

      "Consider it all joy, my brothers and sisters, when you encounter various trials, for you know that the testing of your faith produces perseverance."

      These Words of God seem hard to many people to accept, because they have not as yet fully taken on the mind of Christ.

      We complain about the weather, spilling milk, splitting a fingernail and many little things of no consequence.

      How do we expect to endure the hardships, suffering and trials of life when we cannot accept small things that do not have any lasting impact on our lives but are fleeting inconveniences?

      We gaze at Christ hanging on the cross and forget that He asks each one of us to take up our cross daily and follow Him.

      Where are we following Him? It is to Mount Calvary where He hangs suspended from the cross suffering His bitter passion.

      Most people do not like this theology.

      It scares people that are squeamish and who shrink from pain and suffering.

      But pain and suffering sent by God are not negative, but holy correction to change us into better men and women fit for the kingdom of God.

      Because we are so indifferent and complacent the traumas of life are required to get us to move and change.

      Pain and suffering in and of themselves are not good, not desirable, and anyone who seeks them for their own sake is morbid and not mentally healthy.

      However, when God sends us suffering it is to transform us and give us character and strength.

      This reading from the Epistle of St. James about perfect joy inspired St. Francis of Assisi to write about it too.

      These ideas were written down in a book called in Italian: Fioretti, or Little Flowers.

      In the Little Flowers of St. Francis we read:

      Brother Leo in great amazement asked him: "Father, I beg you in God's name to tell me where perfect joy is."

      And St. Francis replied; "When we come to St. Mary of the Angels, soaked by the rain and frozen by the cold, all soiled with mud and suffering from hunger, and we ring at the gate of the monastery and the brother porter comes and says angrily: 'Who are you?' And we say: 'We are two of your brothers.' And he contradicts us, saying: 'You are not telling the truth. Rather you are two rascals who go around deceiving people and stealing what they give to the poor. Go away]' And he does not open for us, but makes us stand outside in the snow and rain, cold and hungry, until night falls - then if we endure all those insults and cruel rebuffs patiently, without being troubled and without complaining, and if we reflect humbly and charitably that that porter really knows us and that God makes him speak against us, oh, Brother Leo, write that perfect joy is there!

      'And if we continue to knock, and the porter comes out in anger, and drives us away with curses and hard blows like bothersome scoundrels, saying; 'Get away from here, you dirty thieves - go to the hospital! Who do you think you are? You certainly won't eat or sleep here'-- and if we bear it patiently and take the insults with joy and love in our hearts, Oh, Brother Leo, write that that is perfect joy!

      And if later, suffering intensely from hunger and the painful cold, with night falling, we still knock and call, and crying loudly beg them to open for us and let us come in for the love of God, and he grows still more angry and says: 'Those fellows are bold and shameless ruffians. I'll give them what they deserve.' And he comes out with a knotty club, and grasping us by the cowl throws us onto the ground, rolling us in the mud and snow, and beats us with that club so much that he covers our bodies with wounds--if we endure all those evils and insults and blows with joy and patience, reflecting that we must accept and bear the sufferings of the Blessed Christ patiently for love of Him, oh, Brother Leo, write: that is perfect joy!

      'And now hear the conclusion, Brother Leo. Above all the graces and gifts of the Holy Spirit which Christ gives to His friends is that of conquering oneself and willingly enduring sufferings, insults, humiliations, and hardships for the love of Christ. For we cannot glory in all those other marvelous gifts of God, as they are not ours but God's, as the Apostle says: 'What have you that you have not received?' But we can glory in the cross of tribulations and afflictions, because that is ours, and so the Apostle says: 'I will not glory save in the Cross of Our Lord Jesus Christ.'"

      To whom be honor and glory forever and ever. Amen.

      PART TWO

      CHAPTER TWENTY-TWO: Love Of God Makes Us Self Forgetting (pages 98-100)

      This particular chapter is one of Dom Hubert van Zeller's gems. He explains the psychology of those in the spiritual life and their vain self-perceptions as phases that need to be overcome and re-directed in order to attain holiness. This growth process is called "self-forgetting". Along the path of spiritual growth one becomes self-aware of all their imperfections while desiring to make a good impression on others. Their eagerness to be perfect makes them over anxious about themselves and the effects they produce on others.

      "As they advance they see that God is more important than sanctity and that sanctity is not an end in itself. They aim at sanctity only because they are aiming beyond sanctity." (page 100)

      The danger of trying to live up to the expectations of others -- to be what they perceive us to be -- to be what we think ourselves to be -- to try to keep and maintain an image of oneself takes us off the path towards God and the sanctity we desire and makes us live a false life as a character in fiction.

      Spiritual growth in "self-forgetting" is when we no longer care what other people think of us and no longer pursue some self-projected image of ourselves, but rather, we simple be what and who we are absorbed in God and serving Him by bringing others to Him, and living holy lives devoted to Him and prayer.

      Dom Hubert van Zeller, OSB, The Trodden Road. (Boston, MA: Daughters
      of St. Paul,1982) ISBN : 0-8198-7326-8 (cloth); ISBN : 0-8198-7327-6
      (paper)

      <http://www.clairval.com/cgi-bin/cgiwrap/flavigny/lettre.php?

      EUCHARISTIC PRAYER IN HONOR OF THE SORROWFUL HEART
      OFMARY