    Message 1 of 1 , Jan 30, 2006

      TUESDAY 31 JANUARY 2006

      .PAPAL MESSAGE FOR LENT 2006
      .OTHER PONTIFICAL ACTS

      PAPAL MESSAGE FOR LENT 2006

      VATICAN CITY, JAN 31, 2006 (VIS) - Made public today was The Message of Benedict XVI for Lent 2006. The text, dated September 29, 2005, has as its title a verse taken from the Gospel of St. Mark: "Jesus, at the sight of the crowds, was moved with pity." The full English-language version of the document is given below:

      "Lent is a privileged time of interior pilgrimage towards Him Who is the fount of mercy. It is a pilgrimage in which He Himself accompanies us through the desert of our poverty, sustaining us on our way towards the intense joy of Easter.

      "Even in the 'valley of darkness' of which the Psalmist speaks, while the tempter prompts us to despair or to place a vain hope in the work of our own hands, God is there to guard us and sustain us. Yes, even today the Lord hears the cry of the multitudes longing for joy, peace, and love. As in every age, they feel abandoned. Yet, even in the desolation of misery, loneliness, violence and hunger that indiscriminately afflict children, adults, and the elderly, God does not allow darkness to prevail.

      "In fact, in the words of my beloved Predecessor, Pope John Paul II, there is a 'divine limit imposed upon evil,' namely, mercy. It is with these thoughts in mind that I have chosen as my theme for this Message the Gospel text: 'Jesus, at the sight of the crowds, was moved with pity.'

      "In this light, I would like to pause and reflect upon an issue much debated today: the question of development. Even now, the compassionate 'gaze' of Christ continues to fall upon individuals and peoples. He watches them, knowing that the divine 'plan' includes their call to salvation. Jesus knows the perils that put this plan at risk, and He is moved with pity for the crowds. He chooses to defend them from the wolves even at the cost of His own life. The gaze of Jesus embraces individuals and multitudes, and He brings them all before the Father, offering Himself as a sacrifice of expiation.

      "Enlightened by this Paschal truth, the Church knows that if we are to promote development in its fullness, our own 'gaze' upon mankind has to be measured against that of Christ. In fact, it is quite impossible to separate the response to people's material and social needs from the fulfillment of the profound desires of their hearts. This has to be emphasized all the more in today's rapidly changing world, in which our responsibility towards the poor emerges with ever greater clarity and urgency. My venerable predecessor, Pope Paul VI, accurately described the scandal of underdevelopment as an outrage against humanity. In this sense, in the Encyclical 'Populorum Progressio,' he denounced 'the lack of material necessities for those who are without the minimum essential for life, the moral deficiencies of those who are mutilated by selfishness' and 'oppressive social structures, whether due to the abuses of ownership or to the abuses of power, to the exploitation of workers or to unjust transactions.'

      "As the antidote to such evil, Paul VI suggested not only 'increased esteem for the dignity of others, the turning towards the spirit of poverty, cooperation for the common good, the will and desire for peace,' but also 'the acknowledgement by man of supreme values, and of God, their source and their finality'

      "In this vein, the Pope went on to propose that, finally and above all, there is 'faith, a gift of God accepted by the good will of man, and unity in the charity of Christ.' Thus, the 'gaze' of Christ upon the crowd impels us to affirm the true content of this 'complete humanism' that, according to Paul VI, consists in the 'fully-rounded development of the whole man and of all men.' For this reason, the primary contribution that the Church offers to the development of mankind and peoples does not consist merely in material means or technical solutions. Rather, it involves the proclamation of the truth of Christ, Who educates consciences and teaches the authentic dignity of the person and of work; it means the promotion of a culture that truly responds to all the questions of humanity.

      "In the face of the terrible challenge of poverty afflicting so much of the world's population, indifference and self-centered isolation stand in stark contrast to the 'gaze' of Christ. Fasting and almsgiving, which, together with prayer, the Church proposes in a special way during the Lenten Season, are suitable means for us to become conformed to this 'gaze.' The examples of the saints and the long history of the Church's missionary activity provide invaluable indications of the most effective ways to support development.

      "Even in this era of global interdependence, it is clear that no economic, social, or political project can replace that gift of self to another through which charity is expressed. Those who act according to the logic of the Gospel live the faith as friendship with God Incarnate and, like Him, bear the burden of the material and spiritual needs of their neighbors. They see it as an inexhaustible mystery, worthy of infinite care and attention. They know that he who does not give God gives too little; as Blessed Teresa of Calcutta frequently observed, the worst poverty is not to know Christ. Therefore, we must help others to find God in the merciful face of Christ. Without this perspective, civilization lacks a solid foundation.

      "Thanks to men and women obedient to the Holy Spirit, many forms of charitable work intended to promote development have arisen in the Church: hospitals, universities, professional formation schools, and small businesses. Such initiatives demonstrate the genuine humanitarian concern of those moved by the Gospel message, far in advance of other forms of social welfare. These charitable activities point out the way to achieve a globalization that is focused upon the true good of mankind and, hence, the path towards authentic peace.

      "Moved like Jesus with compassion for the crowds, the Church today considers it her duty to ask political leaders and those with economic and financial power to promote development based on respect for the dignity of every man and woman. An important litmus test for the success of their efforts is religious liberty, understood not simply as the freedom to proclaim and celebrate Christ, but also the opportunity to contribute to the building of a world enlivened by charity. These efforts have to include a recognition of the central role of authentic religious values in responding to man's deepest concerns, and in supplying the ethical motivation for his personal and social responsibilities. These are the criteria by which Christians should assess the political programs of their leaders.

      "We cannot ignore the fact that many mistakes have been made in the course of history by those who claimed to be disciples of Jesus. Very often, when having to address grave problems, they have thought that they should first improve this world and only afterwards turn their minds to the next. The temptation was to believe that, in the face of urgent needs, the first imperative was to change external structures. The consequence, for some, was that Christianity became a kind of moralism, 'believing' was replaced with 'doing.' Rightly, therefore, my Predecessor, Pope John Paul II, of blessed memory, observed: 'The temptation today is to reduce Christianity to merely human wisdom, a pseudo-science of well-being. In our heavily secularized world, a gradual secularization of salvation has taken place, so that people strive for the good of man, but man who is truncated...We know, however, that Jesus came to bring integral salvation.'

      "It is this integral salvation that Lent puts before us, pointing towards the victory of Christ over every evil that oppresses us. In turning to the Divine Master, in being converted to Him, in experiencing His mercy through the Sacrament of Reconciliation, we will discover a 'gaze' that searches us profoundly and gives new life to the crowds and to each one of us. It restores trust to those who do not succumb to skepticism, opening up before them the perspective of eternal beatitude. Throughout history, even when hate seems to prevail, the luminous testimony of His love is never lacking. To Mary, 'the living fount of hope,' we entrust our Lenten journey, so that she may lead us to her Son. I commend to her in particular the multitudes who suffer poverty and cry out for help, support, and understanding. With these sentiments, I cordially impart to all of you a special Apostolic Blessing."

      VATICAN CITY, JAN 31, 2006 (VIS) - The Holy Father:

      - Appointed Fr. Clement Tirkey, vicar general of the diocese of Bagdogra, India, as bishop of Jalpaiguri (area 6,914, population 4,917,688, Catholics 118,700, priests 61 religious 301), India. The bishop-elect was born in Raigarh, India in 1947 and ordained a priest in 1978.

      - Francesco Silvano, Walter M. Bonino, and Antonio Chiminello as consultors of the Prefecture for the Economic Affairs of the Holy See.

      Wednesday of the Fourth Week in Ordinary Time

      Today's Gospel reading teaches us that we are special in the eyes of God who knows us, loves us and appreciates us with all His heart.

      In today’s Gospel we see the people from Jesus’ town of Nazareth look upon him as an ordinary man and without any faith that he was special in the eyes of God.

      He preached in the synagogue there and those who knew him were amazed at his words and wisdom.

      Although they thought he was extraordinary in words and deeds they could not accept him as an extraordinary person or a prophet or a holy man or as the Messiah since they knew him and his family.

      This reminds us of the old saying that familiarity breeds contempt.

      How many great men and women were passed over by those who knew them because they found it impossible to imagine they had anything important to say or any important work they could accomplish?

      History is full of examples of great people who were considered inept, unqualified, lacking intelligence, creativity or talent by those who knew them.

      Leonardo da Vinci had to leave his native home of Florence in 1481 and move to Milan because those who knew him, his father and step brothers could not recognize the genius in him and gave him no important work to do.

      Leonardo was passed over by the great patrons of art who gave their commissions for important art works to others that are now obscure and unknown to history.

      Christopher Columbus had to go to Portugal to find anyone who would listen to him and finance his expedition that discovered the New World since those in his native home of Genoa thought him ordinary.

      Even in Portugal the Committee advising King Ferdinand and Queen Isabella of Spain regarding the proposal by Christopher Columbus had the opinion that “so many centuries after the Creation it is unlikely that anyone could find hitherto unknown lands of any value.”

      Great men of genius and science in modern times also suffered from disbelief in them and their work by inferior men who personally knew them.

      In 1864 U.S. Senator Smith of Indiana, after witnessing a demonstration of Samuel Morse’s telegraph said : “I watched his countenance closely, to see if he was not deranged ... and I was assured by other senators after he left the room that they had no confidence in it.”

      Rutherford B. Hayes, U.S. President, after a demonstration of Alexander Bell’s telephone said : “It’s a great invention but who would want to use it anyway?”

      In 1872 Pierre Pachet, professor of physiology at Toulouse said : “Louis Pasteur’s theory of germs is ridiculous fiction.”

      Henry Morton, president of the Stevens Institute of Technology, in 1880, on witnessing Edison’s light bulb said : “Everyone acquainted with the subject will recognize it as a conspicuous failure.”

      A New York Times editorial of 1921 read : “Professor Goddard does not know the relation between action and reaction and the need to have something better than a vacuum against which to react. He seems to lack the basic knowledge ladled out in high schools.”

      As we realize how many men and women of greatness were ignored or disbelieved in their day by those that knew them we are not too surprised the same thing happened to Jesus by his own townsmen.

      The words of Jesus : “A prophet is not without honor except in his native place and among his own kin and in his own house.” are words that many of us also feel are true about ourselves by those who know us and do not place confidence in our ability or else they do not appreciate us as we feel we deserve.

      The important thing to keep in mind is that God knows us and loves us.

      God knows everything about us and is the only one perhaps in our life that ever truly knows us and appreciates us for all that we are.

      After all, God is our creator who made us and knows everything there is to know about us.

      Put yourself in God's presence at different times during the day and gaze at Him in silence knowing that He loves you for all that you are because He made you special and tender to His heart.

      PART ONE

      CHAPTER FOURTEEN: Spirituality Must Survive (pages 67-70)

      Dom Hubert van Zeller laments how modern psychology has taken the place of spirituality for many people today.

      "Spirituality has deeper roots and must survive all movements." (page 69)

      "The law of love is indeed the formula, but you cannot legislate for love. All you can do is to live it, and our contention here is that you cannot live it unless you pray." (ibid.)

      Nothing can replace faith, hope and charity. And our faith, hope and charity must be firmly fixed on Christ and His Church.

      Dom Hubert van Zeller, OSB, The Trodden Road. (Boston, MA: Daughters
      of St. Paul,1982) ISBN : 0-8198-7326-8 (cloth); ISBN : 0-8198-7327-6
      (paper)

      <http://www.clairval.com/cgi-bin/cgiwrap/flavigny/lettre.php?

      EUCHARISTIC PRAYER IN HONOR OF THE SORROWFUL HEART
      OFMARY