    Message 1 of 1 , Dec 22, 2005

      TUESDAY 10 JANUARY 2006

      .ANALYZE CAUSES BEHIND THE DEMAND FOR ARMS
      .OTHER PONTIFICAL ACTS
      . EUCHARISTIC PRAYER IN HONOR OF THE SORROWFUL HEART OF
      MARY

      ANALYZE CAUSES BEHIND THE DEMAND FOR ARMS

      VATICAN CITY, JAN 10, 2006 (VIS) - Yesterday, Archbishop Celestino Migliore, Holy See permanent observer to the United Nations in New York, addressed the "Preparatory Committee for the United Nations Conference to Review Progress Made in the Implementation of the Program of Action to Prevent, Combat and Eradicate the Illicit Trade in Small Arms and Light Weapons (SALW) in All Its Aspects."

      The nuncio described the forthcoming review conference as the most important such meeting since the adoption in 2001 of the "Program of Action to Prevent, Combat and Eradicate Illicit Trade in SALW in All its Aspects," which is "having important repercussions on the promotion of disarmament, peace and post-conflict reconstruction, the fight against terrorism and large- and small-scale organized crime." He went on: "The 2006 conference should agree to establish major international cooperative programs and mechanisms to promote key parts of the Program of Action, which may include stockpile management and security, weapons and ammunitions collection and their safe and secure destruction, and national controls on SALW production and transfers. It would therefore be most useful to start a serious reflection on the possibility of negotiating a legally binding instrument on international arms trade ... based on the more important principles of international law."

      "The 2006 review conference could take useful steps to promote effective engagement on SALW, ... by launching a process enabling interested States and relevant organizations to flesh out principles, policies and programs that address the links between efforts to prevent and reduce SALW trafficking, proliferation and misuse.

      "Often this process has focused its attention on the supply side of arms sale," added the permanent observer. "However, if we consider both the humanitarian costs of SALW and the profound connection between them, and the process of human and sustainable development, then it becomes clear that greater attention now needs to be paid to reducing the demand for SALW. To reduce drastically the demand for small arms requires not only political will but better focused research into the dynamics of conflicts, crimes and violence. This obliges us to act responsibly to promote a real culture of peace and life among all members of society.

      "Adequate international norms and programs to address the question of demand are also needed urgently, as well as the implementation of educational and awareness activities through, among other things, the involvement of civil society."

      VATICAN CITY, JAN 10, 2006 (VIS) - The Holy Father appointed Fr. Francisco Javier del Rio Sendino of the clergy of Palencia, Spain, rector of the basilica of Santa Cruz de la Sierra, Bolivia, as bishop of Tarija (area 37,623, population 391,226, Catholics 301,785, priests 45, permanent deacons 1, religious 130), Bolivia. The bishop-elect was born in Palencia in 1942 and ordained a priest in 1965.

      In today's Gospel we see Jesus at the home of St. Peter with his other disciples.

      Jesus leaves the house early to go off alone to pray. He is followed by St. Peter who says: "�Everyone is looking for you.�

      This is a marvelous phrase to hear �Everyone is looking for you.�

      How often have we wished that this were true of the whole world today that everyone is looking for Jesus in their life and in global affairs to help us establish peace.

      We must do more than wish these things. We must also do our share of work that makes this happen.

      We can begin by praying that all people come to know that Jesus is the Saviour of the world.

      We can pray too that God touch each and every person so that their minds and hearts are open to truth and seek it.

      We can also do this work by living lives that reflect the goodness of God and our efforts to be faithful and productive following the Gospel of Jesus.

      We can do this by our good example but also with our kind words and acts of charity.

      We can do this by saying something helpful to a friend or neighbor showing them we care about them so that faith that God too cares about them can be instilled into their minds.

      Take some time today to reflect on thoughtful things, simple and practical things you can do to help promote the kingdom of God by gestures of good will and kindness to others.

      Do not pass up the next opportunity that comes your way. The moment you encounter another human being it has arrived.

      Open your mind and heart to that moment that now is the time to reflect Christ by simplicity and kindness.

      May all of our words and deeds be a gift to Jesus so that we too like St. Peter can turn to him and say: �Everyone is looking for you.�

      PART ONE

      CHAPTER SIX: Recollection and Living in God's Presence (pages 33-37)

      Many have an aversion to the subject of keeping recollected throughout the day living in God's presence. Dom Hubert van Zeller tells us this, and how some complain they have enough difficulty with basic prayer and anything beyond that is not for them.

      "Souls to whom the presence of God is more real than the presence of material things are indeed blessed but they are not likely to come by this happy state without prayer." (page 33)

      "Habitual recollection may be a grace but it can be cultivated, and indeed should be." (page 34)

      Dom Hubert van Zeller makes a few suggestions to aid in the development of recollection: (1) the Jesus prayer, (2) a well organized day, (3) don't waste time in worthless protracted discussions and conversations, (4) insulate yourself when opportune to pray silently amongst others without their knowing, (5) to be gentle and introspective in our comportment and composure, (6) to recite oral prayers slowly and with focus, (7) to be alone when practical, (8) to practice silence.

      "Silence and recollection go together." (page 37)

      Dom Hubert van Zeller, OSB, The Trodden Road. (Boston, MA: Daughters
      of St. Paul,1982) ISBN : 0-8198-7326-8 (cloth); ISBN : 0-8198-7327-6
      (paper)

      � Live EWTN TV - English � EWTN AM/FM RADIO
      � Live EWTN TV - Spanish � Catholic World Today Radio
      � Today's Homily (Video) � Audio of Today's Homily
      � Pope's Wednesday Audience Audio � Radio Catolica Mundial
      � EWTN's The World Over � Mother Angelica Live Video
      � Audio Library � Life On The Rock (Video)
      � The Journey Home (Video) � EWTN Religious Catalogue

      <http://www.clairval.com/cgi-bin/cgiwrap/flavigny/lettre.php?