    Message 1 of 1 , Dec 15, 2005

      FRIDAY 16 DECEMBER 2005

      Friday of the Third Week in Advent

      .CULTIVATE CULTURAL AND SPIRITUAL RESEARCH
      .ITALIAN ARMED FORCES MEET THE POPE
      .HOLY FATHER'S MESSAGE FOR WORLD DAY OF THE SICK
      .AUDIENCES
      .OTHER PONTIFICAL ACTS

      CULTIVATE CULTURAL AND SPIRITUAL RESEARCH

      VATICAN CITY, DEC 16, 2005 (VIS) - Yesterday evening, following the annual pre-Christmas Mass for Roman university students, celebrated in the Vatican by Cardinal Camillo Ruini, the Pope arrived in the basilica to greet the students. The tradition of celebrating this Mass dates back to Servant of God John Paul II, who upheld the custom throughout the 26 years of his pontificate.

      Benedict XVI greeted the rectors, professors, chaplains and students from Italian universities, as well as student delegations from various European and African countries, and participants in a world congress for the pastoral care of foreign students, which is being promoted by the Pontifical Council for the Pastoral Care of Migrants and Itinerant Peoples.

      "Continue your reflections," said the Pope in his address, "on the new humanism, bearing in mind the great challenges of modern times and seeking to bring faith and culture together harmoniously. How important it is at this moment in history to cultivate attentive cultural and spiritual research!"

      The Holy Father expressed his contentment at the fact that the five faculties of medicine in Rome have agreed to collaborate in certain fields concerning life, adding: "From a pastoral perspective, I appreciate the decision to dedicate more profound consideration to the theme of transmitting the faith, with a formative path that involves both students and teachers."

      The Holy Father then called on young people "to follow joyfully the itinerary of your Christian formation," and to associate it with their daily studies. "It is necessary to rediscover the beauty of having Christ as the Master of one's life, and thus freely and consciously renewing one's own profession of faith."

      Turning to consider foreign students, the Pope pointed out how young people leaving their country of origin in order to study "face no small number of problems, especially the risk of a crisis of identity, and of a loss of spiritual and moral values However, he went on, "for many young people the chance to study abroad represents a unique opportunity ... to contribute to the development of their own countries, and to participate actively in the mission of the Church. It is important to continue on the journey we have begun in order to meet the needs of these brothers and sisters of ours."

      With reference to the forthcoming Christmas celebrations, Benedict XVI made a call "to grasp the fullness of the message with which this feast presents us. God became Man, He came to dwell among us. Let us prepare our hearts to welcome Him Who came to save us by giving His life."

      The Holy Father concluded: "May you be guided by Mary Most Holy, 'Sedes Sapientiae.' Her icon, which is being taken around various nations, is now passing from the Polish to the Bulgarian delegation, to continue her 'peregrinatio' in the university cities. May she, the faithful Virgin, Mother of Christ, obtain for each of you and for your academic institutions the light of divine Knowledge, Christ the Lord."

      * * *

      ITALIAN ARMED FORCES MEET THE POPE

      VATICAN CITY, DEC 16, 2005 (VIS) - In the Vatican Basilica at midday today, at the conclusion of a Mass celebrated by Archbishop Angelo Bagnasco, military ordinary of Italy, the Pope met groups from the Italian armed forces.

      In his address, Benedict XVI said: "He Whom we adore in the Sacrament of the altar is the Emmanuel, God with us, Who came into the world for our redemption. ... At Christmas the Messiah will come, ... man's Redeemer will come to free us and will break the chains of error, selfishness and sin that hold us prisoner. Christ will come to free the heart of man with His love. How important it is to ready ourselves to welcome Him with humility and sincerity!"

      "May these closing days of Advent strengthen in each of you the desire to meet Christ, Prince of Peace, source of our true joy."

      The Holy Father affirmed that every day "we experience the precarious and provisional nature of earthly life but, thanks to the incarnation of the only begotten Son of the Father, our gaze is always able to capture the providential love of God which gives meaning and value to all our lives. The liturgy during this period of Advent ... encourages us to trust ourselves to Him, Who can fully realize the expectations of our hearts.

      "Mary, with her 'yes' to the Archangel Gabriel adhered totally to the will of the Lord and gave rise to the great mystery of Redemption. May she accompany us to the meeting with the Emmanuel, God-with-us."

      Benedict XVI concluded by wishing a holy and happy Christmas to all the servicemen present.

      * * *

      HOLY FATHER'S MESSAGE FOR WORLD DAY OF THE SICK

      VATICAN CITY, DEC 16, 2005 (VIS) - Made public today was Benedict XVI's Message for the 14th World Day of the Sick, which is celebrated every year on February 11, Feast of Our Lady of Lourdes. In 2006, the Day will be celebrated in Adelaide, Australia, culminating with a Eucharistic celebration in the Cathedral of St. Francis Xavier.

      In the text of his Message, which is dated December 8, the Pope highlights the fact that on the forthcoming Day of the Sick, the Church will have "particular solicitude for the suffering, recalling the attention of public opinion to problems associated with mental distress, which now strikes a fifth part of mankind and constitutes a true social and health care emergency."

      The Holy Father goes on to recall that many countries still lack mental health policies and appropriate legislation. Moreover, "armed conflicts, ... natural catastrophes and the spread of terrorism, as well as causing large numbers of deaths, have given rise to psychological traumas in many survivors."

      Speaking about developed countries, the Pope observes in his Message that, according to experts, "the negative influence of the crisis of moral values" lies at the origin of new forms of mental illness. "This increases the feeling of solitude, undermining and even destroying traditional forms of social cohesion, ... and marginalizing the sick, especially the mentally infirm, who are often considered a burden to families and to the community."

      After thanking people who, "drawing inspiration from human and evangelical principles," care for the mentally ill, the Holy Father writes: "Unfortunately, in may parts of the world, services for these sick people are lacking or insufficient." And he continues: "The social context does not always accept mentally ill people with their limitations, and for this reason too it is difficult to find the necessary human and financial resources.

      "There is a need for greater integration of two factors - appropriate therapy and a new sensitivity to illness - in order to enable those who operate in this sector to meet the needs of these sick people more effectively, as well as the needs of their families who are not able to care for them adequately alone."

      Benedict XVI concludes his Message by addressing "those tried by sickness," inviting them to unite themselves to Christ in order to offer their sufferings "to the Father, in the certainty that all trials accepted with a spirit of resignation are meritorious and attract divine benevolence on all of humanity."

      Finally, the Pope exhorts those who care for the sick, especially doctors, nurses, chaplains, pastoral care leaders and volunteer associations, "to support with effective initiatives families who have to look after the mentally ill." He also expresses hopes for an increase "in acceptance and sharing, thanks also to appropriate laws and health care projects that are provided with sufficient resources for their implementation."

      VATICAN CITY, DEC 16, 2005 (VIS) - The Holy Father today received in separate audiences four prelates from the Conference of the Polish Episcopate on their "ad limina" visit:

      - Bishop Jerzy Mazur S.V.D., of Elk, accompanied by Auxiliary Bishop Romuald Kaminski.

      - Archbishop Ivan Martyniak of Przemysl-Warsaw of the Byzantine-Ukrainian Rite.

      - Bishop Wlodzimierz Roman Juszczak O.S.B.M., of Wroclaw-Gdansk of the Byzantine-Ukrainian rite.

      This evening, he is scheduled to receive in audience Archbishop William Joseph Levada, prefect of the Congregation for the Doctrine of the Faith, accompanied by Archbishop Angelo Amato S.D.B., secretary of the same congregation.

      VATICAN CITY, DEC 16, 2005 (VIS) - The Holy Father elevated:

      - The "sui iuris" Greek-Catholic Metropolitan Church of Romania to the rank of Major Archiepiscopal Church.

      - Archbishop Lucian Muresan of Fagaras and Alba Julia of the Greek Catholics, Romania, to the rank of major archbishop of the same archdiocese.

      Monday of the Fourth Week in Advent

      In the first reading from the Book of Judges we hear the story of Samson's mother being told though she is without child she will conceive and bear a son; he will be the deliverer of Israel from the power of the Philistines.

      We see a similar story in the Gospel of Luke. The angel Gabriel tells Zechariah that he and his wife Elizabeth, though barren shall conceive and bear a son: "He will go before him in the spirit and power of Elijah to turn the hearts of fathers toward children and the disobedient to the understanding of the righteous, to prepare a people fit for the Lord.”

      In these two stories we see God unfolding His divine plan to bring salvation.

      Samson delivered Israel from the power of the Philistines. These Philistines were a terror to the Jews. Their soldiers were fierce. The story of David killing Goliath, a mighty Philistine warrior, was a sign that David was specially chosen by God. In the Jewish culture the word Philistine became synonymous with everything that was considered bad, corrupt and evil.

      God sends his special agent Samson to deliver Israel from the powers of darkness and death.

      This theme is paralleled in today's Gospel reading. St. John the Baptist too is sent to deliver Israel from the powers of darkness and death through a baptism of repentance.

      Repentance comes from the Greek word "metanoia" which means "to return home". The meaning of repentance then signifies a return to moral and traditional values wholesome to one's home, handed down from the father acting as head of the house.

      In Judaism, tradition and adherence to the Torah, the Hebrew Bible, was something handed down by the father to his children.

      To return home meant to return to religion, to return to the moral code of the ten commandments, and to practice faith and fidelity to that faith in daily living.

      The fierce enemy warrior of the Old Testament symbolized by the Philistines is transformed into the concept of immorality in the New Testament.

      St. John does not combat the physical enemy of a Philistine army like Samson, but rather, the invisible enemy of moral corruption and infedility to religion.

      The task St. John is given is to bring the Jews back home to a pure faith and clean daily living; honesty, integrity and honor are the values he promoted.

      This movement of repentance prepared the Jews to receive Jesus Christ.

      This Advent we too prepare ourselves for the coming of the Messiah's birth on Christmas day.

      In order to prepare ourselves we must first become very honest with ourselves and admit our short-comings and failures before the eyes of God.

      We need to make a resolute will and firm commitment to reform ourselves and return home to the Catholic faith living it more perfectly.

      This New Year take time to study the Catholic faith more responsibly. Give yourself a Christmas present by purchasing a copy of the Catechism of the Catholic Church.

      Perhaps you can suggest this to someone who is wondering what you want for Christmas.

      Try to find ten to fifteen minutes each day to say a prayer and read something in the Catechism to learn your faith more perfectly. Try each day to put these truths into practice and improve yourself to be a better person for yourself, your family and friends, but especially for God.

      This program is the best gift we can offer to the King of Kings this Christmas. Jesus is not looking for a new toy, or new tie. He is expecting us to give ourselves completely to Him. We can only do this if we make a sincere effort to give ourselves completely. Let us return home to Christ and keep his love alive in our lives to the fullest.

      PART ONE

      CHAPTER FIVE: Perfect Prayer (pages 29-32)

      Dom Hubert van Zeller explains the essence of the spiritual life as a redirection of our minds towards reason and logic and away from emtion and sentiment. He tells us the desire or will to pray is the important principle not whether or not we enjoyed it, or felt it sweet.

      Spiritual energy and spiritual drive are the forces that flow from the will. Developing a strong and powerful will is the whole process of the spiritual life. We learn to develop the will of God. We imitate and reflect on the will of Christ. Putting these lessons, reflections and exercises into daily practice we develop a will modeled on Christ.

      Prayer, charity, worship and all human expressions of communicating with God -- through divine grace empower us to develop strong wills that reflect that of Christ.

      Charity towards our neighbor becomes willed daily, exercised daily, and over time we easily draw strength from a will formed in Christ to fulfill charity as an automatic response.

      The same is true in our daily practices of worship. The more we will it, the more we practice it and root it in the will of Christ, the easier we pray drawing strength from a strong will to pray and love God with all our hearts. Christ prays within us "By praying in us, and for us, he teaches us how to pray. We look for a way of praying, and discover that he is the Way. He gives us his thoughts, and his thoughts become our prayers. Too often we congratulate ourselves upon having made a good prayer: we would not do this if we acknowledged our utter powerlessness and dependence on God's grace and inspiration. We do not compose a good prayer: he does." (page 29)

      This lesson brings humilty to the soul. The closer one grows to God, the necessarily, the humbler one must become.

      We oftentimes forget that "the end of prayer is not a better prayer or a perfect prayer or an answered prayer, but God." (page 30-31)

      "All that prayer aims at is drawing closer to God, at uniting the human will with God's. When God blesses this desire with union the soul knows that there is no greater blessing to be had on earth and that personal achievement does not come into it." (page 31)

      Prayer is very simple. It is the raising up of one's mind and heart to God.

      Dom Hubert van Zeller, OSB, The Trodden Road. (Boston, MA: Daughters
      of St. Paul,1982) ISBN : 0-8198-7326-8 (cloth); ISBN : 0-8198-7327-6
      (paper)

      � Live EWTN TV - English � EWTN AM/FM RADIO
      � Live EWTN TV - Spanish � Catholic World Today Radio
      � Today's Homily (Video) � Audio of Today's Homily
      � Pope's Wednesday Audience Audio � Radio Catolica Mundial
      � EWTN's The World Over � Mother Angelica Live Video
      � Audio Library � Life On The Rock (Video)
      � The Journey Home (Video) � EWTN Religious Catalogue

      <http://www.clairval.com/cgi-bin/cgiwrap/flavigny/lettre.php?

      EUCHARISTIC PRAYER IN HONOR OF THE SORROWFUL HEART
      OFMARY