    Message 1 of 1 , Dec 5, 2005

      TUESDAY 6 DECEMBER 2005

      Tuesday of the Second Week in Advent

      . MESSAGE FOR FIFTH CENTENARY OF UNIVERSITY OF URBINO
      . ARCHBISHOP LAJOLO ADDRESSES THE OSCE
      . EUCHARISTIC PRAYER IN HONOR OF THE SORROWFUL HEART OF
      MARY

      MESSAGE FOR FIFTH CENTENARY OF UNIVERSITY OF URBINO

      VATICAN CITY, DEC 6, 2005 (VIS) - Cardinal Secretary of State Angelo Sodano sent a letter to Archbishop Francesco Marinelli of Urbino-Urbania-Sant'Angelo in Vado, Italy, for the occasion of the fifth centenary of the foundation of the University of Urbino in the Italian Marches region.

      The university, which has recently been renamed after Professor Carlo Bo (1911 - 2001), its rector for 54 years, has around 20,000 students.

      The Holy Father, writes the cardinal, "hopes that the cultural formation of new generations will always remain the university's primary aim. To this end, a useful contribution may be drawn from the 'Italo Mancini' Higher Institute of Religious Sciences which has been active in the university for more than 20 years."

      The cardinal's letter continues: "Within the context of the legitimate autonomy which must distinguish relations between Church and State, the university upholds Urbino's vibrant tradition of theology teaching, enabling young people to compare their own existential, intellectual and social search with the supreme synthesis of truth and life revealed in Christ."

      * * *

      ARCHBISHOP LAJOLO ADDRESSES THE OSCE

      VATICAN CITY, DEC 6, 2005 (VIS) - Archbishop Giovanni Lajolo, Holy See secretary for Relations with States, today participated in the 13th meeting of foreign ministers from the 55 member States of the Organization for Security and Cooperation in Europe (OSCE). The OSCE Ministerial Council is being held in Ljubljana, Slovenia, from December 5 to 6.

      Archbihop Lajolo began his English-language address by affirming how participating States share the same fundamental objective: "the consolidation of peace by a simultaneous achievement of security, stability, development and respect for human rights."

      "The Holy See considers its distinctive duty to insist on the continuing central importance of religious freedom for peaceful coexistence and for respect between different cultures in today's multi-ethnic and multicultural societies," he said.

      The secretary for Relations with States gave assurances that the Holy See appreciates "the intention of the participating States to give closer attention to the scourge of human trafficking, and supports the will to adopt a victim-centered approach."

      "As regards the question of migration," the archbishop went on, "the OSCE can offer a valuable contribution so that the policies of participating States keep in mind the unity of the human family, and of the family of each migrant, and offer guarantees of prosperity with respect for all."

      Archbishop Lajolo concluded his comments by stressing that, "in the areas of human trafficking and migration, concrete measures of assistance are needed to alleviate the suffering of many women and men, and to re-establish respect for their human dignity."

      VATICAN CITY, DEC 6, 2005 (VIS) - Yesterday evening, the Holy Father received in audience Cardinal Joachim Meisner of Cologne, Germany.

      VATICAN CITY, DEC 6, 2005 (VIS) - The Holy Father appointed:

      - Msgr. John Arnold of the clergy of the archdiocese of Westminster, England, vicar general and chancellor, as auxiliary of the same archdiocese (area 3,634, population 4,613,284, Catholics 465,587, priests 743, permanent deacons 4, religious 1,746). The bishop-elect was born in Sheffield, England in 1953 and ordained a priest in 1983.

      - Archbishop William Joseph Levada, prefect of the Congregation for the Doctrine of the Faith, as a member of the Pontifical Council for Promoting Christian Unity.

      Memorial of Saint Ambrose, bishop and doctor of the Church

      Todays readings teach us of the compassion and mercy of God.

      Isaiah tells us "They that hope in the LORD will renew their strength".

      To put all your hope in God when things look difficult and trying is an act of faith in God that His will be done.

      Placing all hope in God means we trust God that He knows what is happening in our lives, He sees everything.

      Placing ourselves in His hands we tell Him we accept whatever may happen to us, even if it is not what we wanted or expected because we believe God knows what is best for us.

      This is what Isaiah was writing about when the Israelites complained about their sufferings, grumbling that God does not know what is happening, He does not see, and He does not care.

      The truth is the opposite. God cares so much that He sent His Only Begotten Son so that whoever believed in Him should have eternal life.

      God sees everything in our lives. Jesus told his disciples that not even a single hair falls from our heads without God knowing about it.

      This loving consciousness of God we call divine providence. God created us and did not abandon us but sustains us each day with life and grace even when we fail to pray and thank Him.

      Isaiah goes on to say "they will soar as with eagles’ wings; They will run and not grow weary, walk and not grow faint."

      From this we learn that having faith and hope in God is our source of strength in this life to do all the things we must as daily obligations, and in His service.

      When we are feeling worn out and exhausted from all the cares of daily life Jesus tells us: “Come to me, all you who labor and are burdened,
      and I will give you rest."

      Go to Christ as if He were your most intimate friend. Tell Him all your cares, fears, worries, plans, hopes and needs. Speak to Him confidently and rest in His presence, since this is what Jesus said we should do.

      In the time of Jesus people and animals carried wooden beams across the back of their shoulders as a harness to carry great weights, like pails of water, or an ox the plow. These wooden beams are called yokes.

      Instead of being worn-out by daily cares and chores as our yoke in life, Jesus tells us to take His yoke on our shoulders.

      Jesus' yoke is the fulfillment of love. He calls each of us to be loving and caring as He is. He expects we behave this way with everyone especially those forgotten, lost, abandoned, or those who grate on our nerves.

      The symbol of Jesus' yoke, a wooden beam carried on the shoulders is the cross, Jesus says we must pick it up each day and carry it in order to be His disciples.

      Be not afraid to carry the cross of Christ. It is the sign of your salvation.

      CHAPTER 45: Love Made Perfect (pages 202-205)

      "'One act of pure love' says St. John of the Cross, 'is worth more to God, to the Church, and to the soul, than any quantity of active works of zeal.'" (page 202)

      This spiritual maxim is what made St. Thérèse of Lisieux work in small things with pure love.

      Mama Gili used to say "If you pick up a small piece of paper from the floor, with all your heart for the love of Jesus, that is a great prayer."

      Anything done in pure love is filled with God's presence and bestows grace from grace.

      "We must love not only because Christ loves us, but as Christ loves us." (page 203)

      "It is love that makes men do the unimportant things as though they were important things -- because of the importance of Christ who dwells within their souls and does these unimportant things through them." (page 205)

      Dom Hubert van Zeller, OSB, The Choice of God. (Springfield, Illinois:
      Templegate, reprint 1963) ISBN : 87243-047-2

      1. HOW TO USE LINKS -- RealPlaye

      <http://www.clairval.com/cgi-bin/cgiwrap/flavigny/lettre.php?