    Message 1 of 1 , Oct 19, 2005

      THURSDAY 20 OCTOBER 2005

      Thursday of the Twenty-ninth Week in Ordinary Time

      . AMENDMENTS TO PROPOSITIONS, CONCERT IN HONOR OF POPE
      . Benedict XVI Reportedly Wants to Meet Alexy II
      . Benedict XVI's Letter on Consecrated Life
      . EUCHARISTIC PRAYER IN HONOR OF THE SORROWFUL HEART OF
      MARY

      AMENDMENTS TO PROPOSITIONS, CONCERT IN HONOR OF POPE

      VATICAN CITY, OCT 20, 2005 (VIS) - No General Congregation will be held today, but Archbishop Nikola Eterovic, secretary general of the Synod of Bishops, together with the special secretary and the relators of the Working Groups, or linguistic groups, will study the collective amendments to the propositions.

        At 6 p.m. in the Vatican's Paul VI Hall, a concert in honor of His Holiness Benedict XVI will be given by the Munich Philharmonic Orchestra, accompanied by the Regensburger Domspatzen choir and the Athestis Chorus. The program includes various pieces, among them: Sanctus from Missa for Holy Year by the Pope's brother Msgr. Georg Ratzinger, Mozart's Ave Verum, and Verdi's Te Deum. At the end of the concert, the Pope is scheduled to address some words to those present.

      VATICAN CITY, OCT 20, 2005 (VIS) - The Holy Father today received in separate audiences:

       - Cardinal Nasrallah Pierre Sfeir, patriarch of Antioch of the Maronites, Lebanon.

       - Cardinal Varkey Vithayathil, C.SS.R., major archbishop of Ernakulam-Angamaly of the Syro-Malabars, India.

       - Cardinal Miguel Obando Bravo S.D.B., archbishop emeritus of Managua, Nicaragua.

       - Cardinal Janis Pujats, metropolitan archbishop of Riga, Latvia.

       - Cardinal Paul Shan Kuo-hsi S.J., bishop of Kaohsiung, Taiwan.

       - Cardinal Marc Ouellet, P.S.S., metropolitan archbishop of Quebec, Canada.

       - Archbishop Joseph Powathil of Changanacherry of the Syro-Malabars, India.

      VATICAN CITY, OCT 20, 2005 (VIS) - The Holy Father gave his assent to the election canonically carried out by the Synod of the Greek-Melkite Church, meeting in Ain Traz, Lebanon, from June 20 to 27, 2005, of Fr. Georges Bakouny as archbishop of Tyre of the Greek-Melkites (Catholics 7,000, priests 11 religious 11), Lebanon. The bishop-elect was born in Beirut, Lebanon, in 1962 and ordained a priest in 1995.

      * * *

      Benedict XVI Reportedly Wants to Meet Alexy II

      VATICAN CITY, OCT. 18, 2005 (Zenit.org).- Benedict XVI wants to meet with the Orthodox Patriarch Alexy II of Moscow, according to the Catholic archbishop in the Russian capital.

      Archbishop Tadeusz Kondrusiewicz revealed that news today in a meeting with journalists reporting on the Synod of Bishops.

      But he acknowledged that he has no information about possible preparations for such a meeting.

      "Let's pray that the meeting between the Pope and Alexy II will take place soon," said Archbishop Kondrusiewicz, 59. "This event will allow us to turn the page on the past and to open a new era of relations between the two Churches."

      The archbishop explained that the idea of Cardinal Walter Kasper, president of the Pontifical Council for Promoting Christian Unity, to hold a synod between Catholic and Orthodox bishops, is shared by the Holy Father, who in turn has received the support of the Moscow Orthodox.

      "It is no longer the time to throw stones at one another, but to pick them up," said Archbishop Kondrusiewicz. "We must pray to God so that the dates of such a synod can be established, and we can try to be good servants of the Holy Spirit."

      * * *

      Benedict XVI's Letter on Consecrated Life
      "Live in Complete Conformity With the Gospel"

      VATICAN CITY, OCT. 18, 2005 (ZENIT.org).- Here is translation of the letter sent to participants in the plenary assembly of the Vatican Congregation for Institutes of Consecrated Life and Societies of Apostolic Life, held Sept. 26-27.

      To my Venerable Brother
      Archbishop Franc Rodé, C.M.
      Prefect of the Congregation for Institutes of
      Consecrated Life and Societies of Apostolic Life

      On the occasion of this Congregation's Plenary Assembly, I very gladly address my cordial greeting to all the participants. In particular, I greet you, the Secretary and all who work in the Dicastery that you head.

      With my greetings, I also express my gratitude and joy: gratitude because you share with me attention and service to consecrated persons; joy, because through you I know I am addressing the world of consecrated women and men who follow Christ on the path of the evangelical counsels and of their respective charism, inspired by the Spirit.

      The Church's history is marked by interventions of the Holy Spirit, who has not only enriched her with his gifts of wisdom, prophecy and holiness, but has endowed her with ever new forms of evangelical life through the work of the founders and foundresses who have passed on their charism to the family of their spiritual sons and daughters.

      This has meant that today, in monasteries and spirituality centers, monks, religious and consecrated persons can offer the faithful oases of contemplation and schools of prayer, education in the faith and of spiritual guidance.

      Above all, however, consecrated persons continue the great work of evangelization and witness on all the continents, even on the front lines of the faith, with generosity and often with the sacrifice of their lives, even to the point of martyrdom.

      Many of them are totally dedicated to catechesis, education, teaching, the advancement of culture and the ministry of communications. They are close to young people and their families, the poor, the elderly, the sick and lonely people.

      There is no human or ecclesial context where they are not present, frequently silent but always effective and creative, a continuation as it were of the presence of Jesus who went about doing good works to all (cf. Acts 10: 38).

      The Church is grateful for the witness of fidelity and holiness borne by so many of the members of the Institutes of Consecrated Life, for the ceaseless prayers of praise and intercession raised by their communities, and for their life spent at the service of the People of God.

      Today, the consecrated life, like other sectors of ecclesial life, certainly has no lack of trials and problems. "The great treasure of the gift of God", you recalled at the end of your last Plenary Assembly, "is held in fragile earthen vessels (cf. 2 Corinthians 4:7), and the mystery of evil also threatens those who dedicate their whole lives to God" (Congregation for Institutes of Consecrated Life and Societies of Apostolic Life, "Starting Afresh from Christ," n. 11).

      Rather than listing the difficulties that consecrated life encounters today, I would like to confirm to all consecrated men and women the closeness, concern and love for them of the whole Church.

      At the beginning of the new millennium, the consecrated life is facing formidable challenges that it can only confront in communion with the whole People of God, their Pastors and all the faithful. The attention of the Congregation for Institutes of Consecrated Life and Societies of Apostolic Life fits into this context at your Plenary Assembly, which is addressing three very precise themes.

      The first theme concerns the exercise of authority.

      To assure an authentically fraternal life in the search for God's will, this is a precious and necessary service. In fact, it is the Risen Lord himself, newly present among the brothers and sisters gathered in his name (cf. "Perfectae Caritatis," n. 15), who points out the path to take.

      Only if the Superior himself or herself lives in obedience to Christ and sincerely observes the rule can the community members clearly see not only that their obedience to the Superior is not contrary to the freedom of God's children but that it leads them to maturity in conformity with Christ, obedient to the Father (cf. ibid., n. 14).

      The other theme chosen for the Plenary Meeting concerns the criteria for the discernment and approval of new forms of consecrated life.

      "Those who have charge over the Church should judge the genuineness and proper use of these gifts through their office", the Dogmatic Constitution "Lumen Gentium" recalls, speaking of charisms in general, "not indeed to extinguish the Spirit, but to test all things and hold fast to what is good" (n. 12).

      And this is what you too are seeking to do in these days, not forgetting that you must carry out your precious and delicate work in a context of gratitude to God, who continues still today to enrich his Church with ever new charisms with the creativity and generosity of his Spirit.

      The third theme you have addressed concerns monastic life.

      Starting with the contingent situations that also require wise and effective practical interventions, you mean to survey the vast horizon of this reality which has been and still is so important in the Church's history. You seek appropriate ways to relaunch in the new millennium the monastic experience of which the Church today stands in so great a need, for she recognizes in it an eloquent witness to the primacy of God, constantly praised, adored, served and loved with the whole heart, the whole soul and the whole mind (cf. Mt 22: 37).

      Lastly, I am pleased to note that the Plenary Meeting is taking place within the framework of the solemn celebration that the Dicastery has organized on the 40th anniversary of the promulgation of the conciliar Decree "Perfectae Caritatis" on the renewal of religious life.

      I hope that the fundamental guidelines offered by the Council Fathers at that time for the progress of the consecrated life will also be a source of inspiration today for all who dedicate their lives to the service of the Kingdom of God.

      I am referring primarily to what the Decree "Perfectae Caritatis" describes as "vitae religiosae ultima norma," "the final norm of the religious life," that is, the "sequela Christi." A genuine recovery of religious life is impossible without seeking to live in complete conformity with the Gospel, without putting anything before the one Love, but finding in Christ and in his words the essence that is deeper than any Founder's or Foundress' charism.

      Another basic directive of the Council was to give oneself generously and creatively to one's brothers and sisters, never giving in to the temptation of withdrawal into self, never being content with past achievement and never indulging in pessimism or weariness.

      The flame of love that the Spirit kindles in hearts is an incentive to questioning oneself constantly on humanity's needs and on how to respond to them, knowing well that only those who recognize and live the primacy of God can truly respond to the real needs of men and women, made in the image of God.

      I would like to take up yet another of the very important directives presented by the Council Fathers in the Decree Perfectae Caritatis: the consecrated person's constant commitment to cultivate a sincere life of communion (cf. n. 15), not only in the individual communities but with the whole Church, because charisms should always be safeguarded, deepened and constantly developed "in harmony with the Body of Christ continually in the process of growth" ("Mutuae Relationes," n. 11).

      These are the thoughts on the themes treated at your Plenary Assembly which I am eager to entrust to you for reflection. I accompany you with my prayers, and as I invoke God's help and the protection of the Most Holy Virgin upon you and your activity, I impart my Blessing to each one of you as a pledge of my affection.

      From Castel Gandolfo, Sept. 27, 2005, Memorial of St. Vincent de Paul.

      CHAPTER 29: Charity (pages 132-137)

      "We love God not in our dreams or reasonings, but in our relationships with Him and with our neighbor." (page 132)

      God is charity, and those who abide in it abide in God. Therefore, we must be ever mindful of the commandment to love one another.

      Many focus on the vertical relationship, that is, in the soul's relationship with God forgetting the horizontal relationship, that is, with neighbors. Authentic love abides in both vertical and horizontal relationships since that is the only fulfillment of the commandment to love as Christ has and still loves, Christ is the eternal flame of love.

      Dom Hubert van Zeller warns us : "There are souls who love God with all their might, or think they do, and who take only a patronizing interest in the charity which affects their neighbor." (page 133)

      "Few are so loving that charity is second nature." (page 134)

      "Like every other virtue, charity has to bepreserved against a false conception of itself, against a self-portrait which ius a caricature." (ibid.)

      Dom Hubert van Zeller warns us again : "Self-love can make a man embrace lepers, give alms, do deeds of high heroism. All the finest fruits of charity, can be turned inside out and made to serve self." (page 135)

      "Where self dictates the terms of charity, ordering the works to be performed in the name of charity, there can only be pride in whatever is the outcome." (ibid.)

      "Is there generosity in giving when the credit for the gift is prized beyond the purpose of the giving?" (ibid.)

      We are morally obligated to transmit charity to our neighbor. Charity does not make us immune to suffering, but we often do suffer on account of it -- in a fallen world. Knowing this many shrink from charity avoiding the cruelty of neighbor and their rebukes. This is a sure sign of pride where the soul protects its own ego from harm. Humilation is feared to the neglect of humilty. The authentically charitable soul cares not what it can or will suffer since the commandment to love and being faithful to Christ in his demands are far more important than human respect.

      Today's Gospel reading at Mass calls our attention to this very principle:

      Jesus said to his disciples: “I have come to set the earth on fire, and how I wish it were already blazing! There is a baptism with which I must be baptized, and how great is my anguish until it is accomplished! Do you think that I have come to establish peace on the earth? No, I tell you, but rather division. From now on a household of five will be divided, three against two and two against three; a father will be divided against his son and a son against his father, a mother against her daughter and a daughter against her mother, a mother-in-law against her daughter-in-law and a daughter-in-law against her mother-in-law.” (Luke 12:49-53)

      Dom Hubert van Zeller, OSB, The Choice of God. (Springfield, Illinois:
      Templegate, reprint 1963) ISBN : 87243-047-2

      <http://www.clairval.com/cgi-bin/cgiwrap/flavigny/lettre.php?