    Message 1 of 1 , Sep 19, 2005

      TUESDAY 20 SEPTEMBER 2005

      Memorial of Saint Andrew Kim Taegon, priest and martyr, and Saint Paul Chong Hasang, martyr, and their companions, martyrs

      . HOLY SEE PARTICIPATES IN EUROPEAN HERITAGE DAY
      . IN MEMORIAM
      . The Wisdom of Charles de Foucauld
      . Pope's Letter on Anniversary of Trade Union Solidarity
      . EUCHARISTIC PRAYER IN HONOR OF THE SORROWFUL HEART OF
      MARY

      HOLY SEE PARTICIPATES IN EUROPEAN HERITAGE DAY

      VATICAN CITY, SEP 20, 2005 (VIS) - This year too, the Holy See will participate in the "European Heritage Days," an annual initiative promoted by the Council of Europe in which more than 40 countries are involved.

        This year European Heritage Day will be celebrated on September 25 and is dedicated to the theme: "Memory and Identity. The 'traditio ecclesiae' in intercultural dialogue."

        The Pontifical Commission for the Cultural Patrimony of the Church, the Vatican Museums, and the Pontifical Commission for Sacred Archaeology have all collaborated in preparing the program for the Day.

        During European Heritage Day, entrance to the Vatican Museums and to the catacombs of Rome will be free. At the same time the Pio Christian Museum, which forms part of the Vatican Museums, will house an exhibition entitled: "The 'dogmatic' Sarcophagus, or the Sarcophagus 'of the two Testaments.' The burgeoning faith of the Church transmitted in images."

        On the same day an exhibition will be inaugurated in Rome's Catacombs of St. Calixtus. It is entitled, "The 'traditio ecclesiae' in intercultural dialogue: reflections on the art of the catacombs," and will remain open until October 31.

      * * *

      IN MEMORIAM

      VATICAN CITY, SEP 20, 2005 (VIS) - The following prelates have died in recent weeks:

      - Bishop Jose Miguel Angel Giles Vazquez of Ciudad Altamirano, Mexico, on September 7, at the age of 63.

      * * *

      The Wisdom of Charles de Foucauld
      Book Collects 422 Phrases of the Soon-to-Be-Beatified

      VATICAN CITY, SEPT. 19, 2005 (ZENIT.org).- The Vatican Publishing House has compiled a book of sayings of Charles de Foucauld, the adventurer-turned-monk who will be beatified Nov. 13 in Rome.

      "Io semino, altri raccogieranno" (I Sow, Others Will Reap) contains 422 phrases of wisdom from the French religious.

      Born in Strasbourg in 1858, Charles de Foucauld undertook an adventure in the Moroccan desert in 1883 for which he was awarded the gold medal of the French Geographic Society.

      His religious conversion occurred in 1886. He went on pilgrimage to the Holy Land in 1888.

      After de Foucauld's experience as a Trappist in Syria and as a hermit in Nazareth, in 1901 he was ordained a priest. To imitate Jesus' hidden life in Nazareth, de Foucauld went to live in Tamanrasset, in the heart of the Sahara Desert.

      De Foucauld wrote several books on the Tuaregs, members of a Berber people of the western and central Sahara. He founded the Union of Brothers and Sisters of the Sacred Heart that was committed to the evangelization of the Tuaregs.

      In December 1916 de Foucauld was shot dead in the midst of a skirmish among Berbers of Hoggar. He was 58.

      Here are a few of the phrases collected in the book.

      On adoration: "Adore the Blessed Sacrament should be the center of every person's life."

      On love: "The more you love the better you pray."

      On apostolate: "Every Christian should be an apostle. This is not a suggestion; it is a commandment, the commandment of love."

      On the cross: "The more we embrace the Cross, we draw closer to Christ who is nailed to it."

      On an examen of conscience: "Ask yourself in each situation: 'What would the Lord have done' and do that. This is the only absolute rule."

      On the Eucharist: "The goal of every human life should be the adoration of the Blessed Sacrament."

      On the Gospel: "If we don't live the Gospel, Jesus does not live in us."

      On faith: "Faith is incompatible with pride, vanity and the desire of esteem of others. To believe, we must humble ourselves."

      On Jesus Christ: "Only Christ Jesus deserves to be passionately love."

      On the imitation of Christ: "When you love, you imitate."

      On prayer: "May our lives become a continuous prayer."

      On poverty: "We do not have an appearance of poverty, but rather the poverty of the poor; the poverty that in a hidden life does not live off of rent or donations but only off of manual labor."

      On priests: "The priest is a monstrance whose obligation is to show Jesus. The priest must disappear so that others can see only Jesus …"

      On holiness: "Sanctifying ourselves we will sanctify others."

      See the Vatican bookstore's site at http://www.libreriaeditricevaticana.com

      * * *

      Pope's Letter on Anniversary of Trade Union Solidarity
      Message to Archbishop Dziwisz of Krakow

      VATICAN CITY, SEPT. 19, 2005 (Zenit.org).- Here is a translation of the letter Benedict XVI sent to Archbishop Stanislaw Dziwisz of Krakow, Poland, for the recent 25th-anniversary celebrations of the Polish trade union Solidarity.

      To my Venerable Brother
      Archbishop Stanislaw Dziwisz
      Metropolitan of Krakow

      Twenty-five years have passed since the memorable days during which the workers in the dockyards of Gdansk, and subsequently in other industrial establishments, gave birth to the trade union movement that took the name "Solidarnosc."

      In connection with this date, I place in your hands, Your Excellency, as my Envoy to the Jubilee solemnities, my greeting to the people who actively participated in those events and those who today are concerned with this heritage of the Polish workers' movement.

      We are all aware of the great importance that the birth of this trade union has had in the events of Poland and in the history of the whole of Europe. Not only did it peacefully bring about unexpected political changes in Poland, setting the Polish People on the path of freedom and democracy, but it also pointed out to other peoples of the former Eastern Bloc the possibility of atoning for the historical injustice that left them behind the "Iron Curtain."

      I know how dear to the heart of my great Predecessor, the Servant of God John Paul II, it was that this act of historical justice take place, and that Europe breathe with her two lungs -- the Western and the Eastern. I know how he supported "Solidarnosc" with his authority and, when necessary, also with skillful diplomacy.

      I also know that it was a just cause whose best proof is the collapse of the Berlin Wall and the admittance to the European Union of the countries which had remained behind it after the Second World War.

      I congratulate the Poles who had the courage, with the Church's support, to unite spirits, ideas and forces, and their union has borne fruit throughout Europe to this day. I cordially hope that everyone may enjoy not only freedom, but also the financial well-being of the Country, both families and individual citizens.

      Please convey my greeting to the Authorities of the Republic, to the former and current activists of the Independent Union "Solidarnosc," as well as to the other participants in the Jubilee celebration.

      I impart my Blessing to you all: in the name of the Father, of the Son and of the Holy Spirit.

      From Castel Gandolfo, 23 August 2005
      BENEDICT XVI

      [Translation distributed by the Holy See]

      CHAPTER 10: Corollary (pages 37-45)

      Dom Hubert van Zeller discusses happiness.

      "It is hard to be happy if you expect to be unhappy." (page 38)

      "It is equally hard to be happy if you expect your happiness to come from one direction and from one direction alone." (ibid.)

      In his discussion Dom Hubert van Zeller points out the necessity of humility to experience authentic happiness, since authentic happiness comes from a loving relationship with God.

      "Without humility he will dramatize and idealize himself until there is nothing of his real self left. (next paragraph) In fact without humility it is difficult to see how a man can even begin to be happy. If happiness comes of being the person you are meant to be, and doing the things you are meant to do, and thinking the things you are meant to think, humility is absolutely necessary as a foundation." (page 40)

      It is clear from Dom Hubert van Zeller teaching, that reflects the tradition in ascetical theology, that authentic happiness is conforming to the image of God that God imagines of you and for you from all eternity. The difficulty people encounter is that they are too busy imaging their own self to become something other than that which God's imagines for them. This leaves many living empty lives assuming false impersonations and strange characterizations that deviate from their true self.

      "Your impersonation has added nothing to you, and has taken away much. All you have done is to assemble together into an unreal person the separate qualities which you admire in others. If instead you were to take whatever real qualities you have got, and let them make up the person whom God has created, you would have something true at the end of it. This way you may not appear, either to yourself or to others, as much of a hero; but at least you would be true." (page 41)

      "To be haunted by the fear of not living up to the idea of oneself which one has created in the minds of others is worse than the fear of not giving satisfaction to oneself. One gets used to being a disappointment to oneself sooner than one gets used to being a disappointment to others." (page 42)

      "But in either case the effort to be what one is not destroys true liberty, and is very exhausting. How can the soul feel free when there is always the dread of exposure? The only hope of freedom is to proclaim one's independence of the phantom figure whom one has built up out of nothing and to plunge into the reality which is God's will." (ibid.)

      "Our whole business then, is to forget the picture of ourselves which we see reflected in the characters whom we admire. These others have their characters, we have ours. We should forget too the pictures of ourselves which we would like others to admire in us. And lastly we should forget the picture of ourselves which we would have painted had we been God. In fact we should forget the picture of ourselves altogether, and concentrate in finding in ourselves the reality which is Christ." (pages 42-3)

      The wit and humor of Dom Hubert van Zeller gently scolding stubborn souls in this chapter makes it a classic of spiritual counseling. His gentle fatherly advice is intended to sting us into sober reality. This book is an absolute must read for those who wish to advance in the spiritual life being guided by an authentic spiritual master who will lead you to Christ, not your idea of Christ, but to the real Christ of the Gospels who eternally lives and lovingly watches everyone with the heart of a father.

      Happiness, Dom Hubert van Zeller, tells us is not important at all. The only thing we should find important in this life is God's will. Authentic happiness from doing and being a living model of God's will only comes from sacrificing worldly happiness and our attachment to it. It is only through sacrifice that we find authentic happiness. We are reminded of the saying of St. Augustine that we find no peace or rest until we rest with the Lord. Happiness is a by-product of peace. Authentic happiness only comes from seeking the glory of God and not in seeking happiness. Authentic happiness comes from serving God with loving joy. What a joy it is to know God, speak to Him from our minds and hearts in prayer, thinking of Him and seeking His will in all things while forgetting ourselves and being lost in Him. This is true joy. St. Francis of Assisi taught that true joy is in suffering everything for the love of God. It is a true joy that God has sent whatever sufferings come our way -- allowing us to share in the suffering of Christ. But these words are a horror to the culture of death that promotes egotism and pleasure. Seek first the kingdom of God does not mean seek first your good pleasre your personal happiness and that which brings you joy. Rather, it means to seek first God's will and in doing God's will you can be sure of one thing that you must pick up your cross daily and follow Jesus.

      "The rightly ordered desire for happiness becomes hope. The wrongly ordered desire for happiness becomes obsession." (page 44)

      "Sacrifice is always bound to be the supreme test. The higher the destiny proposed, the greater the suffering in its attainment. The closer the union to which a soul is called, the more searching will be the self-sacrifice." (page 45)

      Dom Hubert van Zeller concludes with the thought that it is not suffering or triumph over it that makes us saints but in our pure loving generosity to God to endure all things for Him that wins our hearts to His. This is the true point of suffering -- moving away from self-interest to God's interest. Purity of heart is loving God at all costs and seeking first His good pleasure. It is then that we have peace, joy and authentic happiness.

      Dom Hubert van Zeller, OSB, The Choice of God. (Springfield, Illinois:
      Templegate, reprint 1963) ISBN : 87243-047-2

      <http://www.clairval.com/cgi-bin/cgiwrap/flavigny/lettre.php?