    Message 1 of 1 , Aug 22, 2005

      Tuesday 23 AUGUST 2005

      . "Jesus Alone Makes Us Free" Is Pope's Message
      . Message to Communion-and-Liberation Meeting
      . Catholic Urges Release of Orthodox Prelate in Macedonia
      . Cardinal Kasper to Preside at Brother Roger's Funeral
      . Ukrainian Greek-Catholic Church Moves Headquarters to Kiev
      . German Press Upbeat on Benedict XVI's Impact

      "Jesus Alone Makes Us Free" Is Pope's Message
      To Communion-and-Liberation Meeting

      VATICAN CITY, AUG. 22, 2005 (Zenit.org).- Benedict XVI signaled to the Meeting for Friendship Among Peoples, organized by the movement Communion and Liberation, that "Jesus alone makes us free."

      In a message signed by Vatican Secretary of State Cardinal Angelo Sodano, the Pope stressed that the title of the 2005 meeting -- "Freedom Is the Most Precious Gift that the Heavens Have Given Men," taken from "Don Quixote" -- "is of extraordinary importance at a historic and cultural time in which nothing is so misunderstood as the term freedom." The meeting is under way in the Italian town of Rimini.

      The papal message explained that "God has our freedom very much at heart."

      "He wants us to be free," it said, "he loves us in as much as we are free, to the point that he accepts the risk that we have of distancing ourselves from him in order to safeguard in us the possibility of acknowledging him without inner constrictions."

      The papal message was read in Rimini on Sunday by the bishop of the diocese, Mariano Nicola, during the opening Mass of the Communion and Liberation meeting.

      "Why does God love our freedom?" the text asked. "Because he sees in us the image of his incarnate Son, who has always adhered freely to the Father's plan, who freely accepted a body and freely abased himself to the point of death on the cross, in the sacrificial oblation which the sacrament of the Eucharist actualizes every day on the altar."

      "Genuine freedom therefore is the fruit of a personal encounter with Jesus," stated the message, explaining that to each of us happens what happened to the Samaritan woman in the Gospel, who "felt reborn interiorly and had the perception of being truly free again when meeting the 'man' who told her everything she had done and showed her true face and her destiny to her."

      Ubi fides

      The text confirmed the words pronounced by Cardinal Joseph Ratzinger (the future Benedict XVI) in Milan, during the burial of Monsignor Luigi Giussani, founder of Communion and Liberation, last Feb. 24.

      The text said, "Ubi fides ibi et libertas" (Where there is faith there also is freedom) and added that "liberation is the most beautiful existential reverberation that faith can elicit in our life."

      Cardinal Ratzinger addressed the Rimini meeting in 1992 and since then the organizers always discussed with the prefect of the Congregation for the Doctrine of the Faith the topic they would study at this event.

      The 26th edition of the meeting, which ends Saturday, will bring together some 700,000 participants in conferences, round-table discussions, shows, artistic exhibitions and sports competitions.

      Communion and Liberation is an ecclesial movement whose objective is the Christian education of its followers and collaboration with the Church's mission in all realms of society. It is active in some 70 countries.

      * * *

      Message to Communion-and-Liberation Meeting
      God "Loves Us Inasmuch as We Are Free"

      RIMINI, Italy, AUG. 22, 2005 (Zenit.org).- Here is a translation of Benedict XVI's message, sent by Cardinal Angelo Sodano, Vatican secretary of state, to the "Meeting for Friendship Among Peoples," being held here since Sunday by the Communion and Liberation movement.

      To His Excellency Monsignor Mariano de Cicolo
      Bishop of Rimini

      Most Reverend Excellency,

      It is with great joy that the Holy Father makes himself present spiritually, through this message, in the 26th edition of the Rimini Meeting entitled "Freedom Is the Most Precious Gift that the Heavens Have Given Men."

      This year's theme is of extraordinary importance at a historic and cultural time in which nothing is so misunderstood as the term freedom. In fact it is true: God has our freedom very much at heart. He wants us to be free, he loves us inasmuch as we are free, to the point that he accepts the risk that we have of distancing ourselves from him in order to safeguard in us the possibility of acknowledging him without inner constrictions.

      But why does God love our freedom? Because he sees in us the image of his incarnate Son, who has always adhered freely to the Father's plan, who freely accepted a body and freely abased himself to the point of death on the cross, in that sacrificial oblation which the sacrament of the Eucharist actualizes every day on the altar. We can also have the experience of being truly free only when, adhering without reservations to Christ's plan, we also participate in freedom.

      Genuine freedom therefore is the fruit of a personal encounter with Jesus. In him, God gives us and restores to us that freedom that we had otherwise lost for ever because of the sin of our forbears. To each of us happens what happened to the Samaritan woman of whom St. John speaks in his Gospel (see 4:5-43). She felt reborn interiorly and had the perception of being truly free again when meeting the "man" who told her everything she had done and showed her her true face and her destiny.

      The rich youth, on the contrary (see Matthew 19:16-22), did recognize in the Lord the possibility of human fulfillment, but did not have the courage to follow him all the way because, as the Gospel says, he had too many riches. He believed mistakenly that true freedom, which he ardently desired, was [the] absence of links, of ties, and of any obedience. And so, although he remained apparently free to act according to his own autonomous choices, he went away sad. We can undoubtedly try to build our life without Christ, but with the one consequence of remaining always alone and disconsolate.

      The message that the Holy Father sent to all participants in the Meeting is that Jesus alone makes us free! One cannot think of freedom without thinking of the term liberation, which forms part of the name of your movement. Jesus is for us liberation! -- liberation from sin, from our false desires, and, ultimately from ourselves. "Ubi fides ibi et libertas": these words, pronounced on the occasion of the funeral of deceased Monsignor Giussani, His Holiness now repeats, confirming that liberation is the most beautiful existential reverberation that faith can elicit in our life.

      With these sentiments the Holy Father sends his best wishes for good work to the participants in the Meeting, and imparts to all his blessing, propitiator of copious heavenly favors.

      In wishing the organizers of the initiative complete success, I confirm my sentiments of fraternal respects.

      Cardinal Angelo Sodano
      Secretary of State

      * * *

      Catholic Urges Release of Orthodox Prelate in Macedonia

      BRUSSELS, Belgium, AUG. 22, 2005 (Zenit.org).- The president of the Commission of the Bishops' Conferences of the European Community appealed for the release of the Orthodox metropolitan of Skopje, sentenced to prison for inciting ethnic violence.

      Bishop Josef Homeyer expressed doubts about the reasons for the sentence, in a letter he sent today to British Prime Minister Tony Blair, president-in-office of the European Council; to Javier Solana, the High Representative for the Common Foreign and Security Policy; and to Olli Rehn, the European Commissioner for Enlargement.

      The Orthodox archbishop, Jovan Vraniskovski of Ochrid, was imprisoned July 26 in Macedonia. He is serving a two-and-a-half-year term after his 2004 conviction for instigating ethnic, racial and religious hatred, discord and intolerance.

      Bishop Homeyer urged the three leaders to make every legal effort to bring about the immediate release of Archbishop Jovan, a representative of the Serbian Orthodox Church.

      On June 23 the Court of Appeal in Bitola upheld the archbishop's conviction.

      In his letter, Bishop Homeyer said that the statements that led to Archbishop Jovan's conviction appeared to be covered by the freedom of religion and of _expression as delineated in Articles 9 and 10 of the European Convention for the Protection of Human Rights and Fundamental Freedoms.

      * * *

      Cardinal Kasper to Preside at Brother Roger's Funeral

      TAIZÉ, France, AUG. 22, 2005 (Zenit.org).- The president of the Pontifical Council for Promoting Christian Unity will preside at the funeral of Brother Roger Schutz, the slain founder of the Community of Taizé.

      Cardinal Walter Kasper will concelebrate Tuesday with four priests of the ecumenical community, founded during World War II by the Swiss religious, son of a Protestant pastor.

      Brother Roger, 90, was murdered Aug. 16 by an apparently unstable Romanian woman during vespers attended by hundreds.

      Cardinal Kasper will deliver the homily. Brother Alois, the Taizé Community's new prior, will address those present at the ceremony, which will be attended by leaders of Christian churches and communities.

      The ceremony, which will start at 2 p.m. local time, and will be broadcast live by KTO French Catholic television. KTO will transmit it later on Internet (http://www.kto.fr). It will also be broadcast by Notre Dame Radio (http://www.radiorcf.com).

      A press statement issued by the (community said: "At the end of the ceremony, during which meditative hymns will be sung, Brother Roger will be buried, in the presence only of brothers of the community, in the small cemetery surrounding the Romanesque church of the town of Taizé, where his mother and several siblings are buried."

      * * *

      Ukrainian Greek-Catholic Church Moves Headquarters to Kiev
      Cardinal Husar Defends Action in the Face of Orthodox Criticism

      KIEV, Ukraine, AUG. 22, 2005 (Zenit.org).- The transfer of the Ukrainian Greek-Catholic Church from Lviv to Kiev, criticized by the Orthodox, is due to pastoral needs and isn't meant to offend anyone, says Cardinal Lubomyr Husar.

      The Church's headquarters was moved Sunday. That day, Cardinal Husar celebrated the Divine Liturgy in a church under construction in the Ukrainian capital, and made an appeal for unity among Christians, Catholics and Orthodox.

      Some 1,000 Orthodox, faithful to the Moscow Patriarchate, protested nearby about the headquarters transfer. The police ensured that there was no violence between them and Catholics.

      Some protesters shouted through megaphones in English: "Husar, go home," and "Uniates, out of here." "Uniate" is the term, often used pejoratively, with which the Orthodox identify Eastern-rite Catholics.

      A poster warned President Viktor Yushchenko not to "sell our people; we are Orthodox, we do not want Uniates on our soil."

      The Ukrainian presidency revealed today that Yushchenko considers the headquarters move an "internal affair" of the Greek-Catholic Church.

      Hoping for good will

      At a press conference in Lviv on Aug. 17, Cardinal Husar said that the negative reaction to the headquarters transfer challenges believers to consider the problem of the division of Churches in Ukraine.

      He expressed the hope that, with the good will of all sides, these events will initiate further steps toward restoration of the original unity.

      The transfer took place on the basis of the decision of Cardinal Husar, as leader of the Ukrainian Greek-Catholic Church and in accordance with Canon 57 of the Code of Canons of the Eastern Churches.

      This was confirmed by the Synod of Bishops of the Ukrainian Greek-Catholic Church, which took place in Kiev last Oct. 5-12, and was blessed by Pope John Paul II.

      Since Sunday the title of the head of the Ukrainian Greek-Catholic Church has been changed from "major archbishop of Lviv" to "major archbishop of Kiev and Halych."

      Cardinal Husar emphasized several times that the transfer of the see is not directed against anybody, but is driven by the objective needs and the present state of development of the Church.

      Appeal to Pope

      He also said that it is hard to understand the reasons for such a negative reaction by the Russian Orthodox Church and the Ukrainian Orthodox Church of the Moscow Patriarchate.

      Asked if the Ukrainian Greek-Catholic Church's reaction to the accusations is not too mild, the cardinal replied: "And what should the attitude of a Christian be?"

      Metropolitan Vladimir of Kiev and All Ukraine sent an open letter to Benedict XVI in Rome, made public today by the Moscow Patriarchate, in which he requests that "the decree signed by your predecessor" authorizing this change of see, be reversed.

      The Orthodox representative argued that, as a German, Benedict XVI might understand the Ukrainian situation better than the Polish-born John Paul II.

      The Ukrainian Greek-Catholic Church belongs to the group of Churches of the Byzantine rite which acknowledge the spiritual authority and jurisdiction of the Pope of Rome.

      The Ukrainian Church played an important role in the preservation of the self-identity of Ukrainians in the period of Austrian and Polish rule on the territory of western Ukraine, during the 17th to 20th centuries.

      5.5 million faithful

      In 1945 Soviet dictator Joseph Stalin launched a campaign to destroy the Ukrainian Church and Greek-Catholic priests had to go underground. The Church was again legalized on Dec. 1, 1989.

      According to the records of Ukraine's National Committee on Religious Matters, on Jan. 1, 2004, the Ukrainian Church numbered more than 5.5 million faithful. It had 3,328 parishes, 92 monasteries, 2,051 priests and 2,721 churches.

      The Ukrainian Greek-Catholic Church has representatives in Russia, the Baltic countries, Western Europe, North and South America, and Australia.

      * * *

      German Press Upbeat on Benedict XVI's Impact
      Just About All Show Youth Day in Positive Light

      COLOGNE, Germany, AUG. 22, 2005 (Zenit.org).- The German press took note of the unexpected impact that Benedict XVI made on young people, judging by the headlines at newsstands in the city center.

      "Benissimo! ... und tscho" was the headline in Italian and the Bavarian dialect of Cologne's Express newspaper.

      "Very good, and so long," appeared next to a photograph of the Pope blessing the crowd from the Marienfeld hill on Sunday.

      The subheadline said: "1 Million Pilgrims in World Youth Day. 'I Love Cologne!' -- Pope Benedict."

      The Cologne daily Kölner Stadt Anzeiger today showed the Holy Father blessing the crowds with the headline "1 Million Pilgrims With the Pope." The newspaper pointed out that the traffic at the end of the Mass was out of control due to lack of organization.

      The Kölnische Rundschau featured a similar photograph with the headline "1 Million Celebrate With the Pope," and reported on "the long return of pilgrims to Cologne," particularly "übermüdet" (extremely tired) youths leaning against one another as they slept in the central train station.

      Ciao!

      The newspaper sketched a portrait of six pilgrims: Dariusz Rottau, 20, of Poland; Elena Torta, 19, of Italy; Marc Hofmann, 19, of Switzerland; Sister Magdalene Vytuyska, 20, in a black habit, from Ukraine; Nesphory Nkondora, 26, of Tanzania, and Flor Ortega, 29, of Guatemala.

      The Italian headline of the Weltkompakt was "Ciao Benedetto!" (So Long, Benedict!), showing a picture of Marienfeld.

      In its inside photos the Weltkompakt printed testimonies of young people with the title: "I am not alone in my faith."

      The national newspaper Die Welt ran the headline "Pope Preaches Before 1 Million People," and the caption under the photograph adds: "Despite the poor weather, they came for the closing Mass." Die Welt's subtitle read: "Benedict XVI deplores forgetfulness of God at the end of WYD."

      The Frankfurter Allgemeine, also a national newspaper, stated on the front page: "Pope Wishes Germans Peace and Unity."

      The newspaper speaks about a "Weltkatholikentag," a play on words with "Katholikentag" (Catholic Day), the annual national meeting of German Catholics.

      "Who Still Listens to the Pope's Voice?" asked the national newspaper Die Zeit on the front page, featuring a smiling Benedict XVI.

      Die Zeit, which answers the question with profiles of youths who attended World Youth Day, set up a space on its Internet site for the event.

      Apparently only one newspaper of those sold in a supermarket in the city center had a negative report.

      Its headline stated: "End of Chaos in the City." Some clients covered the front page with other newspapers.

      Dom Hubert van Zeller, OSB, (1905-84) was a Benedictine monk at Downside Abbey, England, who write on the spiritual life and was an accomplished painter and sculptor. His book: The Choice of God, was first published in 1956, when he was 51 years old. It is a masterpiece of ascetical writing with a message much needed today. Its 211 pages are divided into 46 small chapters. I will try to cover one chapter per issue of Roman Catholic News.

      CHAPTER ONE: The Choice of God (pages 1-4)

      This chapter is a lectio divina on the Gospel According to St. John 15:4-16. In this reflection Dom Hubert van Zeller explains the "Choice of God."

      Holiness is the result of one's personal choice by "putting God first under all circumstances, in everything, and all the time." (page 1)

      Dom Hubert van Zeller goes on to pose the proposition "I choose God" through four different points of view.

      First, it "may mean : "Where there is a conflict of claims, I give in to the demand of God.' (ibid.)

      Second, it " may mean: "Where there is a decision to be made, conflict or no conflict, I choose the course that is more likely to further God's interest." (ibid.)

      Third, it "may mean this: "In every creature, in every happening, in every place and peasure and success and failure, and at every moment of the day or night, I want God to be praised. I want God to get more out of all these things than I do. I want everything to be entirely subject to Him. If necessary I am ready to forgo the pleasure of knowing that what I have just said is the slightest use to Him or to anybody. I choose what He lets me know, what He lets me suffer, what He lets me have for the running of my spiritual and physical life." A number of people say this kind of thing every day. They read it out of their prayer-books. But very few mean it. If they meant it and were faithful to it they would be saints." (ibid.)

      Fourth, "When the saint says "I choose God" he is really saying "I am not going to choose any more: my happiness consists in letting God choose." My will is to do the will of Him who sent me. I live, now not I, but Christ lives in me. I choose, now not I, but Christ chooses for me. I have chosen to be identified with the choice of God." (pages 1-2)

      "When the soul has fully chosen God, he has chosen absolute Goodness and rejected relative goodness."(page 2)

      "The habit of chosing God is one which is built up in the soul by grace, and in the measure that the habit is preserved its implications of the choice are seen to expand." (page 3)

      Caritas Christi urget nos, is the Latin phrase that says "The Love of Christ urges us". Perfection is love, and God is love. To be perfect is to be filled with God and God's love. If the love of Christ fills the universe, why not our own minds and hearts? This, is the result of our choice. God makes us free to choose Him or reject Him. But when we say we choose Him we must mean it in the four ways we have just read above.

      "But whatever we mean when we say "I choose God", and however little we realize at the time the implications of our choice, the fact remains that we could not even make the choice at all were it not that God had chosen us first. In electing to become Christ's disciples we are doing no more than ratifying the election as it has stood eternally in His mind" (page 3)

      "The important question is not why we choose Him but why He chooses us." (ibid.)

      "He chooses us for the refexion of Himself which He sees there -- for the power which He has given us of shaping our lives according to His. He looks to us for perfection: not our perfection, but His. And because by His grace we can become perfect, He chooses to see us as recipients of His love -- as lovable. The God of love cannot but love what He has deemed capable of loving, cannot refuse to love Himself. What He loves in me is what He has put into me of Himself." (ibid.)

      John 15:4,16 "Whoever lives in Me and I in him bears much fruit, . . . You did not choose Me. I chose you. And I have appointed you to go out and to bear fruit - fruit that will be lasting"

      "My perfection consists not in what I do, but in what I let Him do in me. . . The saint is the one who has begun with everything from the moment he was baptized, and has freely and perfectly yielded to the Christ-life building itself up within him. "I live, now not I, but Christ liveth in me." (page 4)

      "I should not imagine, then, that in making the supremely important choice of my life I am bestowing a benefit upon God. " (ibid.)

      "God has called us out of servitude that we may choose what He has chosen for us."

      John 15:15 "No longer do I call you servants,[f] for the servant[g] does not know what his master is doing; but I have called you friends, for all that I have heard from my Father I have made known to you. "

      Dom Hubert van Zeller, OSB, The Choice of God. (Springfield, Illinois: Templegate, reprint 1963) ISBN : 87243-047-2

      <http://www.clairval.com/cgi-bin/cgiwrap/flavigny/lettre.php?

      EUCHARISTIC PRAYER IN HONOR OF THE SORROWFUL HEART
      OFMARY