971Volume 5, Issue 79

    Apr 29, 2005

      MONDAY 2 MAY 2005

      St. Athanasius, Bishop and Doctor of the Church

      . POPE BENEDICT XVI TO WELCOME ITALIAN PRESIDENT ON MAY 3
      . BENEDICT XVI GREETS FAITHFUL AT STUDY WINDOW FOR FIRST TME
      . HOLY FATHER MARKS ONE MONTH SINCE THE DEATH OF JOHN PAUL II
      . POPE BENEDICT'S PRAYER INTENTIONS FOR MAY
      . Benedict XVI's Papal Coat of Arms Presented
      . South Korea Invites Pope to Visit
      . China's Grip on Religious Expression

      POPE BENEDICT XVI TO WELCOME ITALIAN PRESIDENT ON MAY 3

      VATICAN CITY, APR 30, 2005 (VIS) - Holy See Press Office Director Joaquin Navarro-Valls announced today in a statement that "on Tuesday, May 3, Italian President Carlo Azeglio Ciampi, will pay an official visit to His Holiness Benedict XVI."

      VATICAN CITY, APR 30, 2005 (VIS) - The Holy Father approved the election by cardinals of the Order of Bishops, of Cardinal Secretary of State Angelo Sodano as dean of the College of Cardinals. At the same time he approved the election of Cardinal Roger Etchegaray, president emeritus of the Pontifical Council for Justice and Peace and of the Pontifical Council "Cor Unum," as vice dean of the College of Cardinals.

      * * *

      BENEDICT XVI GREETS FAITHFUL AT STUDY WINDOW FOR FIRST TME

      VATICAN CITY, MAY 1, 2005 (VIS) - Today at noon, for the first time since his election to the papacy on April 19, Pope Benedict XVI appeared at the window of the study of the papal apartment to recite the Regina Coeli and address the tens of thousands of faithful that filled St. Peter's Square. The Pope had been living in the Vatican's St. Martha Residence since his election and moved into the apartment on Saturday.

      "I address you for the first time from this window that the beloved figure of my predecessor made familiar to countless people throughout the world. From Sunday to Sunday, John Paul II, faithful to an appointment which had become a pleasant custom, accompanied for over a quarter of a century the history of the Church and the world and we continue to feel him more than ever close to us."

      The Holy Father greeted "with special affection the Orthodox Churches and the Eastern Orthodox Churches that today celebrate the Resurrection of Christ. To these dear brothers and sisters of ours, I address the traditional announcement of joy: 'Christos anesti!' Christ is Risen!" He said he hoped that Easter will be for these Churches " a choral prayer of faith and praise to the One Who is our common Lord, and Who calls us to walk decisively on the path towards full communion."

      "Today we begin the month of May with a liturgical memory so dear to Christians, that of St. Joseph the Worker." He then added, to the applause of the faithful: "You know that my name is also Joseph!" Noting that this feast was instituted 50 years ago by Pius XII "to underline the importance of work and of the presence of Christ and the Church in the world of work," the Pope said he hoped that everyone, especially young people, would have work "and that working conditions are ever more respectful of the dignity of the human person." He had special words for the groups present in St. Peter's Square, including ACLI, the Christian Associations of Italian Workers which this year celebrates the 60th anniversary of its founding.

      Turning his thoughts to Mary, to whom the month of May is dedicated, Benedict XVI remarked how, "through words, and even more by example, John Paul II taught us to contemplate Christ with the eyes of Mary."

      Following the Regina Coeli prayer, the Holy Father said that in recent days he has been thinking "of all people who suffer because of war, illness and poverty. In particular, today I am close to the people of Togo, upset by painful internal struggles. For all these nations I implore the gift of harmony and peace."

      * * *

      HOLY FATHER MARKS ONE MONTH SINCE THE DEATH OF JOHN PAUL II

      VATICAN CITY, MAY 2, 2005 (VIS) - To mark today's one month anniversary of the death of John Paul II, who passed away on the night of April 2, Benedict XVI celebrated Mass in memory of his predecessor at 7.30 this morning in his private chapel.

      At 7 this evening, the Holy Father will make a private visit to the Vatican Grottoes in order to pray at the tomb of the late John Paul II.

      * * *

      POPE BENEDICT'S PRAYER INTENTIONS FOR MAY

      VATICAN CITY, MAY 2, 2005 (VIS) - Pope Benedict's general prayer intention for the month of May is: "That those persecuted for the sake of faith and justice may experience the consolation and strength of the Holy Spirit".

      His mission intention is: "That the Pontifical Missionary Works, proposed by the Holy Father and the bishops for the evangelization of all nations, may help the people of God to feel that they have a real part to play in the mission 'ad gentes'."

      * * *

      Benedict XVI's Papal Coat of Arms Presented
      Characterized by Personal Elements and Novelties

      VATICAN CITY, APRIL 29, 2005 (Zenit.org).- Personal elements and novelties characterize Benedict XVI's coat of arms, unveiled in the Vatican's semiofficial newspaper.

      Published Thursday in the Italian edition of L'Osservatore Romano, the new coat of arms has three personal elements: a shell, the "Moor of Freising" and "St. Corbinian's bear."

      There are also two novelties: the substitution of the miter instead of the tiara, and the addition of the white pallium with black crosses draped below the shield.

      For at least eight centuries, popes have had their own personal coat of arms.

      The shield has symbols introduced by then Archbishop Joseph Ratzinger of Munich and Freising, and later as cardinal, but the composition is new.

      The central element, the shield's most noble point, has a large gold shell, whose meaning Ratzinger explained in his autobiography "Milestones, Memoirs: 1927-1977": It is "above all the sign of our being pilgrims, of our being on a journey."

      But it also recalls to legend in which St. Augustine came across a boy on the seashore who was scooping water from the sea and pouring it into a small hole he had dug in the sand. When the saint pondered this seemingly futile activity, it struck him as analogous to limited human minds trying to understand the infinite mystery of the divine.

      Two other symbols, from the tradition of Bavaria, where the new Pope comes from, are also included in the shield.

      The upper left-hand section depicts a brown-faced Moor, crown and collar. This element is not rare in European heraldry, and it is very frequent in the Bavarian tradition. It is called "caput ethiopicum" or "Moor of Freising."

      As Ratzinger himself explained in his autobiography, this element has been included in the shields of the bishops of Freising for some 1,000 years.

      "I do not know its meaning. For me it is it is an _expression of the universality of the Church, which knows no distinctions of race or class since all are one in Christ (Galatians 3:28)," he wrote.

      On the upper right-hand section of the shield is a brown bear with a pack on its back. It is "St. Corbinian's bear."

      The bear is tied to an old Bavarian legend about St. Corbinian, the first bishop and patron saint of the Diocese of Freising.

      According to the legend, when the saint was on his way to Rome, a bear attacked and killed his horse. St. Corbinian punished the bear by making him carry the saint's belongings the rest of the way to Rome.

      The bear symbolizes the beast "tamed by the grace of God," and the pack he is carrying symbolizes "the weight of the episcopate," said Cardinal Ratzinger in his autobiography.

      "The bear with the pack, which replaced the horse or, more probably, St. Corbinian's mule, becoming, against his will, his pack animal, was that not, and is it not an image of what I should be and of what I am?" continues the cardinal in his book.

      On the back of the shield are the keys, in remembrance of Christ's words to Peter: "I will give you the keys of the kingdom of Heaven, and whatever you bind on earth shall be bound in heaven, and whatever you lose on earth shall be loosed in heaven" (Matthew 16:19).

      Benedict XVI decided not to include the tiara that traditionally appeared at the top of each Pope's coat of arms, and replaced it with the pointed miter.

      The papal miter, represented in Benedict XVI's shield, is silver and has three gold stripes, symbolizing the Supreme Pontiff's three powers: order, jurisdiction and magisterium.

      An absolute novelty in Benedict XVI's shield is the pallium, the woolen stole symbolizing a bishop's authority, and the typical liturgical insignia of the Supreme Pontiff, indicating his responsibility to be the shepherd of Christ's flock.

      During the first centuries the Popes wore a real sheepskin on their shoulders. Later they began to use a white woolen band.

      VATICAN CITY, MAY 2, 2005 (VIS) - The Holy Father today received in separate audiences:

      - Seven prelates from the Catholic Bishops' Conference of Sri Lanka, on their 'ad limina' visit:

      - Archbishop Oswald Thomas Colman Gomis of Colombo, accompanied by Auxiliary Bishop Vincent Marius Joseph Peiris.

      - Bishop Norbert Andradi O.M.I., of Anuradhapura.

      - Bishop Julian Winston Sebastian Fernando S.S.S., of Badulla.

      - Bishop Frank Marcus Fernando of Chilaw, accompanied by Coadjutor Bishop Warnakulasurya Wadumestrige Devasritha Valence Mendis.

      - Bishop Harold Anthony Perera of Galle.

      On Saturday, April 30, he received in separate audiences:

      - Cardinal Crescenzio Sepe, prefect of the Congregation for the Evangelization of Peoples.

      - Cardinal Bernard Francis Law, archpriest of the patriarchal Liberian basilica of St. Mary Major.

      - Archbishop Nikola Eterovic, secretary general of the Synod of Bishops.

      * * *

      South Korea Invites Pope to Visit

      SEOUL, South Korea, MAY 1, 2005 (Zenit.org).- An official delegate of South Korea invited Benedict XVI to visit the Asian country, an invitation the new Pope responded to with a warm smile, reported Fides news agency.

      After the Mass at the April 24 inauguration of the pontificate, South Korea's minister of culture and tourism, Roberto Chung Dong-chae, greeted the Pope personally and congratulated him on behalf of President Roh Moo-hyum and the nation.

      The minister invited the Holy Father to visit South Korea assuring him "this is the desire of the Church in Korea and all the people."

      News of the Pope's election also reached North Korea, despite strict control on information and limited religious freedom, reported Fides.

      The small Catholic Association of North Korea, which is controlled by the government and has no resident priest, sent a message of congratulations and affection to Benedict XVI: "We offer warmest congratulations to His Holiness Benedict XVI, in the grace of God and profound faith of the Catholic Church. We are confident that as Supreme Pontiff he will promote love, peace and justice."

      * * *

      China's Grip on Religious _Expression
      Interview With Director of AsiaNews

      ROME, MAY 1, 2005 (Zenit.org).- Businessmen who invest in China must be committed to the cause of human rights, says the director of the AsiaNews agency of the Pontifical Institute for Foreign Missions.

      Father Bernardo Cervellera, a missionary who has lived in and often visits China, spoke with ZENIT about the thorny problem of religious freedom in the country.

      To promote human rights, Father Cervellera appeals to the international community to promote a campaign for the release of Christians locked up in Chinese prisons.

      Q: Might not the campaign to release imprisoned priests and other Christians be counterproductive for them, triggering reprisals?

      Father Cervellera: It has not been requested by friends of the detained. Totalitarian countries are only afraid of international public opinion. To publish violations of human rights and religious freedom, in particular, is the only way to obtain something.

      AsiaNews' campaign to release 19 bishops and 18 priests, detained in different ways by the Chinese government, has received important support as, for example, from the European Parliament and the bishops' conference of the United States.

      Moreover, we need to tell Westerners who go to do business in China that they should participate in the building of a new civilization, based on the dignity of man. Sometimes businesses do more harm than good in China.

      Q: China argues that it does not enjoy relations with the Holy See -- that is how it justified its absence from John Paul II's funeral -- because the Vatican has relations with Taiwan. Is this the reason?

      Father Cervellera: For at least 20 years, China has continued to say that diplomatic relations with the Vatican don't exist because the Holy See has relations with Taiwan and that, before establishing relations with the Holy See, the Vatican must sever its relations with Taiwan.

      The Chinese government's second argument is that the Vatican must not meddle in the internal affairs of the Church in China, in particular, in the appointment of bishops.

      China does not say, however, that the Vatican has relations with Taiwan because it has no other option. The People's Republic of China severed relations with the Holy See in 1951 and expelled the apostolic nuncio.

      China does not realize that the Holy See has always said that relations with Taiwan are not so important, and proof of this is that the Church does not have a nuncio there, but a "chargé d'affaires." It is not a genuine embassy; the real embassy was the one in Beijing but, for the time being, nothing else can be done.

      Much more serious is the problem of the Pope and the appointment of bishops. In China, such appointments are regarded in terms of a relationship with a foreign power, as they interpret everything in a political, not pastoral, way.

      So the difficulties depend entirely on China, which uses the motive of Taiwan so as not to take steps forward in religious freedom.

      The government is afraid of Taiwan, an island with 23 million inhabitants, in contrast to China's 1.3 billion, because Taiwan is a democratic country and sooner or later it might declare independence.

      In fact, this problem of unity with Taiwan is an attempt by China to keep the country united, using the trick of nationalism. It is the only ideal that remains in China, a country absolutely divided between rich and poor, coastal and interior zones, cities and fields, where many social tensions nest.

      Q: But wasn't the regulation opened recently on the matter of religious freedom in China?

      Father Cervellera: It's not exactly like that. With the new norms, in force since May 1, Christian communities are allowed to have places of worship, but what the regulation seeks is greater efficiency in controlling, and that's all.

      Among Catholics, no one sees any progress. Orthodox are allowed to register, but this does not impede the government from controlling the freedom of the churches, a fundamental right. Progress is not evident; what is more, China is not taking steps forward.

      CHAPTER THREE: GOING INWARDS

      Metropolitan Anthony Bloom ends this chapter with simple advice about prayer. When we wake up in the morning thank God "even if you don't feel particularly happy about the day which is to come." (46)

      Rising above human emotions is essential to begin the spiritual life, as opposed to the life of flesh that cries out to drink deeply of human emotions to the point of pathology. It never matters what "we feel" since feelings and moods rapidly and continually change like the weather and cloud shapes in the sky. Spirituality is about that which endures, indeed, that which endures for all eternity! So when we approach God let us not disrespect Him with our mood swings, what we like or dislike, feelings or flighting sentiments that strikes us at the moment as if we could greet Him with sentimentality equal to a Hallmark greeting card. Accept God, adore God, embrace God, especially when you do not feel in the mood. Train your stubborn heart and will to glorify God, honor Him, and sing His praises particularly when your emotions have you dragged like a cart drawn by wild bull down a path very far from that feeling. Learn to control your emotions with grace and virtue and keep God perpetually in your mind, heart, attitudes and sentiments so that moods and emotional distractions never keep us separated from loving God.

      The second thing Metropolitan Anthony Bloom tells us simply is to thank God for "this day" a "brand new day" a "fresh start" a "day blessed by God" it is "God's day since He owns it" and it is a very precious gift He gives to us, "every person you meet is a gift of God, whether it is bitter or sweet, whether you like or dislike it." (47)

      When we rise above human emotions we appreciate every little thing God perpetually gives us throughout this and every day, not allowing our feelings moods likes and dislikes to cloud our vision and blind us. Who in the world is foolish enough to drive a car at very high speed down a heavily trafficed highway blindfolded? Yet that is exactly what we do analogously with our own lives each day we live spiritually blind. When we are blind in our personal relationships with one another we wreck havoc amongst ourselves, destroying other peoples lives, friendships, and bring sadness and chaos into our lives. When we are blind in religion and deliberately plead ignorance "I just did not know that was a sin" or "I did not know this opinion was wrong to hold" or "I did not know I was supposed to do this or to avoid that" we bring havoc amongst ourselves and increase chaos and darkness in the world, in other words we serve the devil and reject Jesus Christ, the Lord of Light and Truth. Being intellectually blind, spiritually blind and blind in relationships with people and God is actually more dangerous, frightening, and destructful than driving a car at very high speed down a heavily trafficed highway blindfolded.

      The source of all our alienation from God and fellow human beings is blind uncontrolled emotions we allow and empower to rule our lives, guide our thoughts, words and all actions of life. We need balance between rationality and logic and reason to our emotions. When we are imbalanced we do not see things correctly as they really are but distort, twist and lie to ourselves through fear and anger.

      This obviously carries itself into our prayer life, how we think of God, how we approach God and our fellow human beings. The yardstick to measure how we love God is to be honest with ourselves on how we love others.

      Post Script

      Metropolitan Anthony Bloom of Sourozh (1914-2003), died on 4 August
      2003, aged 89, the senior Russian Orthodox archbishop in western
      Europe and among the best known Orthodox clerics in the world. he was
      responsible for parishes of the Patriarchate of Moscow throughout
      Great Britain.

      Archbisop Anthony Bloom, Beginning to Pray (New Tork/Paramus/Toronto:
      Paulist Press, 1970; originally published as: School For Prayer,
      London: Darton, Longman & Todd, 1970)

      <http://www.clairval.com/cgi-bin/cgiwrap/flavigny/lettre.php?

      EUCHARISTIC PRAYER IN HONOR OF THE SORROWFUL HEART OFMARY