922Volume 5, Issue 35

    Feb 28, 2005

      TUESDAY 01 MARCH 2005

      Tuesday of the Third Week of Lent

      . HOLY FATHER, "WELL AND IMPROVING," CELEBRATED MASS
      . SEMINAR ON HUMAN RIGHTS OF PRISONERS OPENS IN VATICAN
      . POLITICAL POWER AT THE SERVICE OF HUMAN DIGNITY
      . POPE JOHN PAUL'S PRAYER INTENTIONS FOR MARCH
      . Pope's Improvement "Striking," Says Official
      . Parish Movie Halls Making a Comeback
      . Editor's Note

      HOLY FATHER, "WELL AND IMPROVING," CELEBRATED MASS

      VATICAN CITY, MAR 1, 2005 (VIS) - Although a new medical bulletin on Pope John Paul's condition will not be released until Thursday, March 3, Holy See Press Office spokesman Joaquin Navarro-Valls told journalists today that "the Pope is well, and his condition is improving, as I told you yesterday." He spoke briefly as he entered Gemelli Hospital this morning just before 9 a.m.

      An hour later, following his daily visit to the Holy Father, Navarro-Valls indicated to journalists that "everything is normal." He said that the Pope's fifth night in the hospital was "tranquil," he "is a good patient and is continuing his voice exercises." The press office director also said that, as he was leaving Pope John Paul's 10th floor hospital suite, "the Pope was preparing to celebrate Mass."

      A brief visit to the Pope by Cardinal Joseph Ratzinger, prefect of the Congregation for the Doctrine of the Faith, was on today's agenda.

      * * *

      SEMINAR ON HUMAN RIGHTS OF PRISONERS OPENS IN VATICAN

      VATICAN CITY, MAR 1, 2005 (VIS) - An international study seminar on the human rights of prisoners opened this morning at the Pontifical Council for Justice and Peace, which organized the event along with the International Commission of Catholic Prison Ministries (ICCPPC). An estimated 80 experts, scholars and chaplains are in attendance from over 20 countries on five continents.

      The council president, Cardinal Renato Martino opened the meeting this morning. His remarks were followed by a report from Ugo Vetere, director of the Treaty Affairs Division of the United Nations Office on Drugs and Crime, on the theme "Respecting the Human Rights of Prisoners: A Global Challenge." A round table discussion on the question "Are the Human Rights of Prisoners at Risk?" closed out the morning session with interventions from, among others, Silvia Casale, president of the Council of Europe's Committee for the Prevention of Torture and Inhuman or Degrading Treatment or Punishment (CPT), Jean-Paul Laborde, director of the U.N. Terror Prevention Sector in Vienna, and Baroness Vivien Stern, secretary general of Penal Reform International.

      Tomorrow, Cardinal Dario Castrillon Hoyos, prefect of the Congregation for Clergy, will speak on "Respecting the Dignity of Every Human Being: Discovering the Face of Christ in Every Human Being." Christian Kuhn, president of ICCPPC, is scheduled to talk on "Prison Ministry: The Mission of the Church." A second round table will then take place with participation by workers in prison ministry from five countries. The seminar will conclude with a Eucharistic concelebration in Rome's Regina Coeli prison.

      * * *

      POLITICAL POWER AT THE SERVICE OF HUMAN DIGNITY

      VATICAN CITY, MAR 1, 2005 (VIS) - Made public today was the address given by Archbishop Juliusz Janusz, head of the Holy See delegation to the 14th Conference of European Ministers Responsible for Regional and Local Government. The meeting was held in Budapest, Hungary, on February 24 and 25.

      In his talk given in English, Archbishop Janusz, who is also the apostolic nuncio to Hungary, affirmed that the "reason that public administration exists ... is to serve the human being at every level of a State in order to build a more free and responsible society."

      "Good local and regional governance," said the archbishop, "is indeed the 'conditio sine qua non' for local and regional authorities to faithfully keep to their mission of serving the common good of the communities. This local and regional governance, in order to be good, requires a democratic form of government," which should promote "the participation in public life of all people living within the community, without neglecting the stranger among them. ... Adequate information is, in fact, among the principal instruments of democratic participation."

      Archbishop Janusz highlighted the fact that "good governance at a local and regional level implies respect for the principle of subsidiarity," which "does not exclude the necessity of solidarity;" in other words, "without overlooking the broader interests and the possible needs of less influential sectors of society."

      "A good government," he concluded, "is that government in which political authorities do not forget or underestimate the moral dimension of political representation. ... Indeed, political corruption causes a growing distrust with respect to public institutions, bringing about a progressive disaffection in the citizens with regard to politics and its representatives, with a resulting weakening of institutions. At any level - national, regional, local - political power shall be put into practice as a service to the dignity and rights of the human person."

      * * *

      POPE JOHN PAUL'S PRAYER INTENTIONS FOR MARCH

      VATICAN CITY, MAR 1, 2005 (VIS) - Pope John Paul's general prayer intention for the month of March is: "That governments of every nation, in their policies and development plans, should always take account of the poor, emarginated and oppressed."

      His mission intention is: "That each individual Church should be aware of the ever greater urgency of preparing holy Christians, capable of confronting challenges to the new evangelization."

      * * *

      Pope's Improvement "Striking," Says Official

      VATICAN CITY, FEB. 28, 2005 (Zenit.org).- After a visit to the Gemelli Polyclinic, Italian Foreign Minister Gianfranco Fini said that John Paul II's improvement is "striking."

      Fini, who was in the Pope's hospital suite for more than a half-hour today, mentioned Vatican spokesman Joaquín Navarro Valls' press statement in which the latter said that the Holy Father's convalescence is proceeding without complications after his tracheotomy last Thursday.

      "The bulletin says that the Holy Father's condition gets better and better very rapidly. This fills everyone's heart with joy," said Fini.

      Later on, when someone asked the foreign minister about the Pope's improvement, he said it was "striking."

      After visiting the Gemelli Polyclinic, Marco Verzaschi, health consultant for the Latium region, confirmed the optimism of the doctors treating the Holy Father.

      "The doctors confirmed John Paul II's good recovery due to his strong spirit," reported Verzaschi.

      "Therefore, we can look to the future with some confidence and in this situation it is possible that his difficulty in speaking will also be surmounted," he said. "Paradoxically, the Holy Father might be able to speak better than he did before."

      * * *

      Parish Movie Halls Making a Comeback
      Tool for Formation and Entertainment, Says Professor

      MILAN, Italy, FEB. 28, 2005 (Zenit.org).- Parish movie halls, being relaunched by the Italian bishops' conference, are being touted as a valid instrument of formation and entertainment.

      Mariagrazia Fanchi, professor of media analysis at the Catholic University of Milan, and promoter of this project, explained to ZENIT that there are more than 1,000 such halls -- in the past they were called "parish cinemas" -- in which films are projected and cinema-forums promoted.

      Together with Alberto Bourlot, professor of theory and techniques of communication at the same university, Fanchi carried out research and wrote a book entitled "La Sala della Comunità" (The Community Hall) on the impact of this reality.

      "The cinema represents, without a doubt, a precious occasion of communication in the world of youth," and must be taken advantage of "opportunely as an occasion of formation and catechesis," Fanchi said.

      In the parish movie halls, recent as well as historical films are shown, and debates are organized afterward. Sometimes, experts comment on them.

      "The cultural project of Community Halls is oriented precisely in this direction. It is an effort to transform an experience of pure entertainment into a moment of growth and communion," said Fanchi. "This is a fundamental point, which calls for an educational project in the culture of images, capable of explaining the functioning of audiovisual and film texts."

      The cultural project seeks among other things to educate in images in order to form "critical consciences of an ethical and aesthetic character," she added.

      Fanchi added: "This awareness allows us to explore the experience of the cinematographic view, which continues to possess an added value in terms of attention and involvement with respect to other audiovisual media, such as, for example, television."

      * * *

      Editor's Note:

      This is one of the most brilliant suggestions by Mariagrazia Fanchi (article cited above) for our age especially for the transformation of our young people to grow in faith and be fortified for the challenges of the future. We know where youth like to go and hang out so let the Church provide the mirror of the secular world, but in the Church context; and guide them to think about life and its meaning which Christ alone can give. There are many films kids like and we need to start showing them that human stories can also have Christian messages too. For example, Peter Weir's "The Truman Show" (1998) starring Jim Carrey (who symbolically represents everyone) is a wonderful modern adaptation of the "Storm at Sea" narrative in the Gospel. Ed Harris play Christof (notice the symbolism?), the creator of the TV show. He says: "I have given Truman the chance to lead a normal life. The world, the place you live in, is the sick place."

      Pastors and Church leaders need to start thinking of intelligent and creative ways to transform the ordinary into the extraordinary to win the minds and hearts of our youth.

      This idea of Mariagrazia Fanchi is found in the Gospel when Jesus says: "for assuredly, I say to you, if you have faith as a mustard seed, you will say to this mountain, 'Move from here to there,' and it will move; and nothing will be impossible for you." (Matthew 17:21) Likewise, the Islamic parody on this Gospel is echoed in the adage: If the mountain won't come to Mohammed, Mohammed must go to the mountain. "If the kids won't go to Church, bring the Church to the kids." The leaders of the Church need to learn how to infilitrate like those who are evil in the world do to get their way. "Behold, I send you out as sheep in the midst of wolves; so be wise as serpents and innocent as doves." (Matthew 10:16) I am not saying or advocating that we must be compromising Christians to get our way, no, on the contrary. I am saying we need to start using our intelligence and step on the gas. Tomorrow is today.

      John N. Lupia,
      Editor

      CHAPTER TWELVE: LISTENING TOGETHER (123-133)

      Abbas Basil presents a model for group lectio that is based more or less on what we do privately, but now each action is given to a member of the group. This method works best with groups of four or eight. (cf. 129 bas de page) A group leader is selected to select the Scripture to be read, choose those who are going to read, keep an eye on the clock, and lead the group in prayer. The first reader reads the passage twice. This is to help get the "literal sense". Reader contribute to nuanced meaning by their interpretive reading. The second reader gives this same passage its third reading. This time each reflects on the allegorical sense, and asks "what is the Lord saying to me right now through these words?" The third reader gives the fourth and final reading. Each listens for the "moral sense" asking: "what does the Lord want me to do?" Then the leader leads the group in prayer.

      On pages 132-133 Abbas Basil gives "Shared Lectio" as described in a more concise way. This is a handy reference sheet for those who would like to form a group for "Shared Lectio".

      I could not help but wonder why Abbas Basil did not mention or draw attention to the priest's homily on Sunday, or weekdays for those who attend daily Mass where they are fortunate enough to have a priest who will give a brief daily homily. This is too "Shared Lectio".

      Rev. M. Basil Pennington, OCSO, Lectio Divina. Renewing the Ancient
      Practice of Praying the Scriptures. (Crossroad, NY, 1998) ISBN 0-8245-
      1779-2 (hardcover); ISBN 0-8245-1736-9 (paperback).

      <http://www.clairval.com/lettre.cgi?language==EN>

      EUCHARISTIC PRAYER IN HONOR OF THE SORROWFUL HEART OFMARY