1139Volume 6, Issue 70

    Jul 26 6:54 AM

      SATURDAY 12 AUGUST 2006

      * * *

      WEAR THE BROWN SCAPULAR OF OUR LADY OF MOUNT CARMEL AND PRAY THE
      ROSARY DAILY
      FOR THE CONVERSION OF THE WHOLE WORLD AND FOR CHURCH UNITY

      . POPE: I HOPE TO SPEND THESE WEEKS IN A CLIMATE OF PEACE
      . ANGELUS: ALL SIDES IN MID EAST CONFLICT, LAY DOWN YOUR ARMS
      . HOLY FATHER'S PRAYER INTENTIONS FOR AUGUST
      . NOTICE
      . VOICE OF THE VATICAN

      POPE: I HOPE TO SPEND THESE WEEKS IN A CLIMATE OF PEACE

      VATICAN CITY, JUL 29, 2006 (VIS) - Yesterday evening, following his journey from Valle d'Aosta, the Pope reached his summer residence in Castelgandolfo, south of Rome. Immediately on arrival, he appeared at the balcony of the Apostolic Palace to greet people gathered in the square below.

      "I am pleased to be back in your beautiful town," the Holy Father said, "in this palace with its restored facade and its extraordinary beauty. I will spend some weeks here with you and I hope to spend them well, in peace and with the Lord's blessing, as a sign of which I now give you my blessing. May Almighty God, Father Son and Holy Spirit, bless you. ... We will meet on Sunday, God willing."

      * * *

      ANGELUS: ALL SIDES IN MID EAST CONFLICT, LAY DOWN YOUR ARMS

      VATICAN CITY, JUL 30, 2006 (VIS) - At midday today, Benedict XVI greeted pilgrims gathered in the internal courtyard of the Apostolic Palace at Castelgandolfo and prayed the Angelus with them.

      The Pope recalled that, apart from a brief apostolic trip to Germany in September, he will stay at Castelgandolfo until the end of the summer. He then went on to express his thanks to the pilgrims who "with the warmth of their presence help to underline, even in the family atmosphere of my summer residence, the universal ecclesial horizon of this our [regular] appointment with the Marian prayer.

      "At these moments," the Holy Father added, "I cannot fail to think of the ever more serious and tragic situation of the Middle East: hundreds of dead, many injured, a vast mass of homeless and displaced people, cities and infrastructures destroyed, while hatred and thirst for revenge seem to be growing in the hearts of many.

      "These facts clearly demonstrate that it is not possible to re-establish justice, create a new order and build real peace when there is recourse to ... violence. More than ever, we see how much the Church's voice is at once prophetic and realistic when, in the face of war and conflicts of all kinds, she indicates the path of truth, justice, love and freedom. This is the path that humanity today must also follow in order to achieve the desired good of real peace."

      "In the name of God," the Pope cried out, "I address all those responsible for this spiral of violence, that all sides immediately lay down their arms! To political leaders and international institutions I ask that no efforts be spared in order to obtain the necessary cessation of hostilities and thus to begin to build, through dialogue, a lasting and stable coexistence of all the people of the Middle East. I ask men and women of good will to continue and to intensify the sending of humanitarian aid to those needy and much tried peoples. But above all, may faithful prayers to the good and merciful God continue to be raised from all hearts, that He may concede His peace to that region and to the world entire.

      "I entrust this heartfelt appeal," Benedict XVI concluded, "to the intercession of Mary, Mother of the Prince of Peace and Queen of Peace, who is so venerated in the countries of the Middle East, where we soon hope to see the reign of that reconciliation for which the Lord Jesus offered His precious Blood."

      * * *

      HOLY FATHER'S PRAYER INTENTIONS FOR AUGUST

      VATICAN CITY, JUL 31, 2006 (VIS) - The Holy Father's general prayer intention for the month of August is: "That orphans may not lack the care necessary for their human and Christian formation."

      His mission intention is: "That the Christian faithful may be aware of their own missionary vocation in every environment and circumstance."

      * * *

      NOTICE

      VATICAN CITY, JUL 31, 2006 (VIS) - As previously advised, VIS will be closed during the entire month of August. Service will resume on Friday, September 1.

      * * *

      VOICE OF THE VATICAN

      The world is in turmoil. This is nothing new. This human condition of conflict emerged with the fall of the human family when it rebelled against God about ten thousand years ago. All of human history from prehistoric times to the present bears the same essential characteristics of this human struggle resulting from our fall from grace and our essential need for God’s help.

      War, murder, and violence of every kind are the unfortunate expression of humans in conflict when it reaches a critical point of dysfunctional ability to constructively negotiate and cope. Strong emotions, self interest, and private agendas to promote those self-interests cloud the rational mind blinding one’s ability to see the others point of view.

      Conflict and disagreement are unavoidable in our culturally diverse pluralistic global society. What matters is how we respond to conflict. Rather than an "adversarial" or "confrontational" approach toward our neighbor, where the other is viewed as an opponent, in a dialogical encounter one begins with the assumption that the other has something meaningful and important to contribute to our understanding. The initial task is to grasp the other's position in the best and strongest possible light to eliminate our original bias, so that we can understand our differences in order to come to a peaceful mutual agreement. The other is not really an adversary or an opponent, but a neighbor who is our conversational partner. One does not seek to score a point by exploiting the other's weaknesses; rather, one seeks to strengthen the other's position as much as possible so as to render it plausible, a dialogical encounter where we reasonably explore our differences and conflicts to establish solidarity, rather than destructive division.

      Dialogical encounters are the resources of honorable and just people. The concept of dialogical encounters did not emerge from diplomatic corps but from the scientific community striving toward the best possible sort of objectivity. "This success of my endeavors was due, I believe, to a rule of 'method': that we should always try to clarify and to strengthen our opponent's position as much as possible before criticizing him, if we wish our criticism to be worth while." (Sir Karl Raimund Popper, The Logic of Scientific Discovery (New York, Harper & Row, 1968) : 260 n.5)

      Peace is only possible when people look deep within themselves and humbly admit their own transgressions and contritely and earnestly reform by effective positive constructive behavior. Construction, not destruction is the authentic God given goal of the human family to live and work in peace and harmony.

      Be a builder of bridges for peace. Go to God and humbly take stock of yourself and make peace with Him. Every reader of this brief essay has thought, said or done something they regret. No one is exempt from this fallen human condition except Jesus Christ, the Savior of the world, and his most holy mother, Mary. Go to Jesus and Mary and pray for the grace of peace, for yourself, for your home and family, and for the world.

      Solemnity of the Assumption of the Blessed Virgin Mary

      “Rather, blessed are those who hear the word of God and observe it.”

      These are the words of Christ speaking to every human being everywhere for all time.

      Some have mistakenly thought that this particular passage is a criticism of Mary.

      Someone in the crowd yelled out to Jesus: “Blessed is the womb that carried you
      and the breasts at which you nursed.”

      Jesus replied: “Rather, blessed are those who hear the word of God and observe it.”

      Christ Himself explained by those words that Mary is blessed not simply because she is his biological mother, but for the very reason that she heard the word of God and observed it.

      Mary, therefore, is our supreme model of the true disciple.

      She has been called by the Church the “Ark of the Covenant” just as King David blessed Israel with the Ark so too does Jesus, the son of David bless the human family with Mary.

      Today is the Solemnity of the Assumption of the Blessed Virgin Mary when God brought her body and soul into heaven.

      Just as she bore Jesus in her womb like the Ark bearing God’s presence, she is the fulfillment of the Mystery of the Ark.

      Sacred Scripture has two essential meanings: the literal sense, which is the meaning of the words of the text, and the typical sense, which is the meaning of the event narrated in the text.

      In the first reading from the Book of Chronicles the Jews reverenced and honored the Ark.

      “When David had finished offering up the burnt offerings and peace offerings,
      he blessed the people in the name of the LORD.”

      This is the literal meaning of the text.

      Beyond that lies the typical sense which has to do with the event itself.

      The historical event itself has a symbolic significance.

      It contains within itself a hidden truth, that points to another event.

      Today’s reading from the Gospel of Luke reveals that other event.

      The Mystery hidden in the Ark of the Covenant is the Mystery of the Mary, the “Ark of the New Covenant.”

      Like the Jews who reverenced and honored the Ark of the Covenant, so we too reverence and honor Mary.

      Just as King David had finished offering up the burnt offerings and peace offerings, and blessed the people in the name of the LORD, so too does the Church bless the whole world with the blessing of Jesus Christ.

      Mary is Holy Ark of the New Covenant God has made with the World so that whosoever believes in Her Son may not perish, but may have life everlasting.

      Go to Mary in confidence as you would to your own mother or best friend. Tell her your concerns, fears, worries and troubles.

      Be not afraid! God gave the world His only Begotten Son through Mary.

      It is through her that He continues to bring Him to every human person.

      Pray the Rosary for world peace and pray it frequently with reverence and devotion just as the Jews reverenced with devotion the Ark of the Covent.

      PART I: PSALMS AND CONTEMPLATION

      CHAPTER THREE : Meanings in Scripture (pages 20-35)

      Merton

      Fr. Merton explains that Sacred Scripture has many senses of meaning. His purpose here is not to show and explain them all, except two: the literal sense, which is the meaning of the words of the text, and the typical sense, which is the meaning of the event narrated in the text.

      For an instructive example he takes the narrative from the Book of Numbers about the brazen-serpent. When the Israelites complained about their hardships in the Arabian desert God sent fiery serpents that killed many with their lethal bite. Seeing that God rebuked them this way many repented having a change of heart begging Moses to intercede with God to rid them of the fiery serpents. God instructed Moses to make a brazen serpent and hoist it upon a staff so that whoever looked upon it would be saved. This is the literal sense of this scriptural narrative. Beyond that lies the typical sense which has to do with the event itself. “But the event itself has a symbolic significance. It contains within itself a hidden truth, it points to another event. It is intended by God to signify this other reality. The miracle of Moses is called a ‘type’ and the reality it signifies is called an ‘antitype.’ The full theological import of the miracle of the brazen serpent does not become clear to us until we see the type fulfilled in its antitype.” (page 23)

      Only God as Author of Divine Revelation knows the hidden truth and typical sense of scripture. Jesus explained the typical sense of the brazen-serpent narrative to Nicodemus telling him “as Moses lifted up the brazen serpent, so must the Son of Man be lifted up: that whosoever believes in Him may not perish, but may have life everlasting.” (John 3:14) “The Mystery hidden in the miracle of the brazen-serpent is the Mystery of the Cross.” (page 24)

      Thomas Merton, Bread in the Wilderness (London : Hollis & Carter,
      Doubleday, 1954)

      AUDIO RECORDINGS OF THE DIVINE OFFICE: recited by the Monks of
      Adoration:

      as well as
      to promote her cause and to perpetuate her cult by directing prayer groups
      assembled in her honor. It has continuously enjoyed the ecclesiastical
      approval
      of Theodore Cardinal McCarrick, and the Most Reverend John Joseph Myers,
      Archbishop of Newark, New Jersey.

      explanatory
      notice; the promises of the Sacred Heart; the mysteries of the Rosary.

      offer you the crucified Body of Your dearly beloved Son, Jesus Christ, in
      reparation for all the sins committed against you and for the

      clinging to her
      robes while walking down a dusty and busy crowded