Re: [RokuDigitalVideoPlayer] mog channel

  • christo andonyadis
    Message 1 of 58 , Sep 25, 2010
      I have some pandora channels that are started with a specific song and others that are an artist. I find the specific song channels more consistent. And if pandora plays a song you don't like on a particular channel and mark it as thumbs down and it won't be played again. And neither will that "direction".
      I hear that pandora has a bunch of human listeners who categorize songs - rather than some artificial intelligence...

      thumb9d on handheld - excuz typ0s

      From: Trevor Holyoak <trevor@...>
      Sender: RokuDigitalVideoPlayer@yahoogroups.com
      Date: Sat, 25 Sep 2010 19:01:12 -0600
      To: <RokuDigitalVideoPlayer@yahoogroups.com>
      ReplyTo: RokuDigitalVideoPlayer@yahoogroups.com
      Subject: Re: [RokuDigitalVideoPlayer] mog channel

      I've got about 15 different channels set up right now. Unfortunately, several of them play basically the same stuff, but that was the only way to get specific artists that I wanted to at least hear on occasion.

      I admit I do have strange tastes. I like The Beatles, Pink Floyd, Depeche Mode, Oingo Boingo, Avril Lavigne, and a bunch of others that nobody has ever heard of. I don't like most of the other music from the same era as The Beatles, so that causes problems, and I have similar problems with Pink Floyd. I do like some of the music that's similar to Depeche Mode, but very little that Pandora thinks is like Avril Lavigne.

      I actually tried Mog today, and really enjoyed listening solely to Depeche Mode for an hour. That may be a better option for people like me. (Although I probably won't go beyond the trial period because I could have done that with my own mp3 collection.)

      - Trevor

      On 9/25/2010 5:27 PM, Ken Diggs wrote:

      Maybe that's the difference in making Pandora work for you:  I've got like 10 or 15 channels to fit that number of different types of music I like.  If you have eclectic musical tastes and try to reflect all of it in a single channel, Pandora may never me able to figure you out!

      On Sat, Sep 25, 2010 at 4:41 PM, Mark Randol <mdrandol@...> wrote:

      I've been playing with Pandora a little.  It seems to be easy to get it confused if you have 'wide' musical tastes.  I've blown away a couple 'channels' because it started playing stuff it thought was similar to something I liked a couple days ago but doesn't really fit into today's mood.  So.....

      I've started doing things like setting up channels for female hard rock / blues / edgier pop stuff (Pat Benetar & Joan Jet were seeds).  For that to work you have to RUTHLESSLY dislike anything that doesn't fit and NEVER like anything that's not a fit - even if you like the song.  So far I've found a couple artists I didn't know about.

      I've got a couple channels going like that.

      Message 58 of 58 , Oct 13, 2010
        OK if that's the reason for having to give a credit card, what's the reason for automatically charging your credit card if you don't cancel by the end of the free trial? Why not make it so the user will contact them by the end of the trial if they want to continue?