Re: [RokuDigitalVideoPlayer] Streaming Video From Computer?

  • Kevin Kintner
    Message 1 of 14 , Aug 14, 2012
      Agreed, I have tried PlayOn, even used it for just over a year. I found Plex right after my annual subscription to PlayOn auto-renewed. everyone in my house prefers Plex.

      I did purchase the Plex app for my Android devices well worth the $5 one time fee to support Plex and be able to watch all of our content ANYWHERE. I never had good success with PlayOn's mobile app but Plex's works great.

      Kevin

      On Tue, Aug 14, 2012 at 9:25 AM, Gerry <urbwarzine@...> wrote:

      Plex streams wirelessly from your pc to your roku, and it's free. I love it

      Message 2 of 14 , Aug 14, 2012
        I use Plex to do this. An added bonus is that you can use it to watch youtube as well. You can even use MyPlex and watch video off of websites.
      • y0himba
        Message 3 of 14 , Aug 14, 2012
          I have had the best luck with Orb and Plex.

          http://www.plexapp.com

          http://www.orb.com/en/orb-live/features.html
        • D M
          Message 4 of 14 , Aug 14, 2012
            If you add "Hulu" to your Playon channel you can get some HGTV shows
          • Paul Crowley
            Message 5 of 14 , Aug 14, 2012
               HGTV seems to not understand that a lot of viewers are tired of cable TV, satellite TV, and want an alternative like the Roku.

              The problem is that there is no method by which HGTV (and plenty of others) can get paid for their content through streaming.  Roku has tried but it seems their payment system isn't all that convenient for content providers and it probably does not scale well for millions of viewers.

              Cable is giving the HGTV folks money and enough of it to keep them going.  If somehow Roku can match that subscriber-for-subscriber I am sure they will make their content available on Roku.  But something where HGTV has to keep individual subscriber records and such isn't going to work for for them at all.

              Paul Crowley
              563-748-7650 / www.infinadyne.com

              On Aug 13, 2012, at 6:10 PM, "Paula Noakes" <pjnoakes@...> wrote:

              I’ve been looking at live feeds a lot. Your best bet is to go to something like Justin.tv and see what’s available there. I added the channel (JUSTINTV) to my Roku the other day and I know it gets Fox News very well. Haven’t tried the others you’ve mentioned. I did go to PlayOn, and I like it a lot, but it didn’t have a “live” feed for Food Network or for HGTV. In fact, HGTV seems to not understand the concept of live streaming, because every time I try to add a channel that says it has HGTV, I get a message that the content has been pulled by the originator. HGTV seems to not understand that a lot of viewers are tired of cable TV, satellite TV, and want an alternative like the Roku.

              are two sites I found that had some good info on live streaming with the Roku. Hope that helps ...

              Paula Noakes
              pjnoakes@...

              Message 6 of 14 , Aug 14, 2012
                Where can I find a list of channels/TV shows available on Plex? I downloaded it last night and I see it on my Roku on the TV, but I can't locate any content. I am mainly interested in the major cable channels like Bravo, HGTV, Food Network, Lifetime, etc. I don't watch much 'regular' TV like sit coms, and I'm not into sports.

                Thanks!

                JB
              • isetione
                Message 7 of 14 , Aug 15, 2012