Two Roku's, One House

  • Christina
    Message 1 of 13 , May 10, 2011
      Just bought my second Roku for the house! Anything special I need to worry about or be aware of with running/setting up two rokus?

      The feedback I'm getting on facebook is to run both Roku's under one account (where what one has, the other has) or to set up a second Roku account so their channels are separate?

      Thoughts? Ideas?

      Thanks,
      Christina
    • Trevor Holyoak

        Message 3 of 13 , May 10, 2011
          Christina,

          I run three Rokus on a single account and have never had a problem.

          Enjoy.

          --- In RokuDigitalVideoPlayer@yahoogroups.com, "Christina" <cmangel518@...> wrote:

          > Just bought my second Roku for the house! Anything special I need to worry about or be aware of with running/setting up two rokus?
          >
          > The feedback I'm getting on facebook is to run both Roku's under one account (where what one has, the other has) or to set up a second Roku account so their channels are separate?
          >
          > Thoughts? Ideas?
          >
          > Thanks,
          > Christina

        • JB
          Message 4 of 13 , May 11, 2011
            On 5/10/11 3:54 PM, Christina wrote:

            Just bought my second Roku for the house! Anything special I need to worry about or be aware of with running/setting up two rokus?

            The feedback I'm getting on facebook is to run both Roku's under one account (where what one has, the other has) or to set up a second Roku account so their channels are separate?

            Thoughts? Ideas?

            Thanks,
            Christina

            I have 4 Rokus and I use one account.  Netflix allows more than 1 box streaming if you either have 2 or more at any time or just streaming.  If you have 2 at any time you stream Netflix at 2 locations at the same time.  If you just have the streaming account you can have up to 4 streaming at a time.

            John
          • patotong@yahoo.com
            Message 5 of 13 , May 13, 2011

              Hi Trevor, what do you mean, not allow them to browse,?  Can you put parental control on netflix?
              Connected by DROID on Verizon Wireless

              Message 6 of 13 , May 13, 2011
                Sort of. You can make it so only the queue is shown, so if you don't want your kids watching stuff that you haven't placed in the queue, they won't even see that anything else is available.

                You can also set a maximum rating control, but that's per account, rather than per device, and unfortunately "unrated" includes not only adult stuff but also stuff like harmless old TV shows.

                - Trevor

                Message 7 of 13 , May 14, 2011
                  Trevor, can you please explain how this is done?  I poked around the Netflix site and could not find anywhere to allow the queue only by device.  I would very much like to know how to do this.

                  Thanks,
                  Rick

                    Message 9 of 13 , May 15, 2011
                      It is in the settings for each Roku player.

                      --
                      Rick
                      2 free weeks of Hulu Plus - http://hulu.com/r/auN2Sg

                    • Mark Young
                      Message 10 of 13 , May 15, 2011
                        At least on my Roku Netflix Player, on the Roku itself, one goes into Settings | Netflix settings, and select "disable browse and search in Netflix".

                        Go through the same steps (Home screen -> Settings -> Netflix settings) and one has the "enable browse and search in Netflix" option, so this is far from a secure option, at least in the original Roku model, and won't stop anyone who happens to know where to find that option.

                        --Mark12547

                        Message 11 of 13 , May 15, 2011
                          It's in the settings on the actual Roku box. There is a section in there for Netflix settings, in the same place where you can change network settings, etc.

                          - Trevor

                        • Trevor Holyoak