Carole's knitting and embroidery shop mentioned in Upper Midwest publication

    Message 1 of 1 , Jul 31 9:28 AM
      We often have people stop at Rocking Horse Farm who just want to
      "look around" and often ask questions about the adjacent farmstead.
      But recently we were surprised to learn of an article in the "Country
      Living" section of a multi-state publication. An old friend who lives
      a few hours away called to tell us they saw this, and shortly after a
      few others brought it to our attention, too. We thought we would
      share it with everyone, just for fun.

      An abbreviated version is on the web (minus the picture) here:

      http://webstar.postbulletin.com/agrinews/70312793492161.bsp

      -----------

      Rocking Horse Farm is a special attraction

      Tuesday, July 25, 2006

      Rocking Horse Farm

      Location: 25636 County Road 74, St. Cloud

      Hours: Tuesday through Saturday from 10 a.m. to 6 p.m. Guided tours
      are available by appointment.

      Phone: (320) 252-2996 for more information.

      Web site: home.earthlink.net/~rhfarm

      ST. CLOUD, Minn. -- Not much farming takes place at Rocking Horse
      Farm, but you can spin a yarn there.

      The farm site, located in St. Cloud, is home to Carole's Country
      Crafts where Carole Wurst sells all types and colors of yarn,
      patterns, and knitting and embroidery machines. The knitting seminars
      she hosts draw visitors to the farm who quickly discover the
      uniqueness of Rocking Horse Farm -- its history.

      Carole, her husband, Fred, and their son, Jason, have kept the
      outbuildings intact and the farm's antique, oxen-pulled implements.

      "The women will come to look at yarn and the machines and the men
      want to look at the machinery," Carole said.

      The farm was owned by siblings Alphonse and Mercedes or "Sadie"
      Falke. Alphonse relied on oxen to farm. Sadie tended a garden and
      made jams and jellies. The Wursts, the Falke's neighbors, remember
      the stories and work ethic of the siblings. Jason keeps those stories
      alive as he gives guided tours.

      When Alphonse died in 1976, Fred farmed the land. Sadie left in 1989
      and the Wursts purchased the farm.

      They made a few renovations, including building a building for
      Carole's business and Jason's postage stamp buying, selling and
      appraisal business.

      The Wursts say the site maintenance is a labor of love. Some of the
      renovations, namely new roofs for the outbuildings, have been costly.
      They tried to find funding to help fund the barn renovation, but
      received no help. The barn collapsed due to heavy show in 2000 and is
      left to decompose naturally.

      Many of the buildings on the farm were built with tamarack found in
      the nearby Mississippi River Valley. Granite was used as foundation
      stone for many of the buildings.

      A log cabin that was home to the farm's Swiss homesteaders has been
      maintained. A kerosene barrel in the cabin is testament to the
      Falke's father who chose kerosene lamps over electricity.

      "(Alphonse and Sadie) said their father told the rural electric
      companies he didn't want the electricity," Jason said. "Their father
      told the companies, 'Why should I pay $4 a month for electricity when
      I can use kerosene for less?'"

      After their father's death, the siblings had electricity installed,
      he said.

      They didn't do the same for running water. A series of rain gutters
      around the house brought water to the cistern.

      -- Carol Stender

      If you know of a rural sight you'd like to have featured in Agri
      News, drop us a line. You can send mail to Box 6118, Rochester, MN
      55903."