knitting and sewing machines in history

    Message 1 of 1 , Jun 23, 2006
      Hi group, Carole is demonstrating spinning wheels and knitting machine
      at the 150th Sesquicentennial event in Saint Augusta, Minnesota this
      weekend. She was asked to show an Antique Round Sock knitting machine
      and decided to set up a display to include other antique or vintage
      fiber arts equipment. She has an early flat-bed metal knitting
      machine from the 1950's, two Ashford spinning wheels, wool carders, needle felters, and other fun things.

      As part of the display she was asked to have some information about
      some of the items, so I made a poster about the history of Round Sock
      and modern (flat bed/200 needle) knitting machines. While doing so I
      ran across a post in a different group that mentioned Library of
      Congress picture archives online. There are two pictures that show Red
      Cross nurses using round sock machines during World War II.

      This led me to think that some of you readers might be interested in
      pictures of antique or vintage items! So I made a new folder in the
      "photos" section where anybody can put up a pic of an antique,
      vintage, or older machine. This could be fun! Remember that being
      "old" is a relative term and sometimes things can be "vintage" even if
      they are only a few years old... computers for example... but post a
      pic of something you have that might be of interest to others.

      Look for the Red Cross nurse pictures and more in the "photos" section, in the album called HISTORICAL PICS.

      I need to give credit to the person from the other group that
      originally found the two Red Cross pictures, her name is Mary in
      Texas.

      Happy knitting and sewing!