hints for avoiding surprises for your finished knits or embroidery projects

    Message 1 of 1 , Mar 16, 2006
      Hello friend, an email I received today inspired me to write about
      fiber content and characteristics for knitters and embroiderers.

      The emailer is a hand knitter and noticed on the Brown Sheep Yarn
      website that we handle the yarn, and wanted to know if we had a
      certain color of Lamb's Pride Superwash Wool. I had to respond that
      we did not have her particular color in Superwash, but did have it
      in Lamb's Pride Bulky and Lamb's Pride Worsted. I added that we do
      not have a large stock of the Superwash version because MANY of our
      customers are doing felting projects and Superwash will not felt.

      So what's the difference? Any yarn or fiber labeled superwash has
      been treated so it will not felt, shrink, or bias. It does NOT mean
      it is waterproof or has water "shedding" characteristics above and
      beyond the normal water "shedding" that wool does naturally.
      Therefore if you are buying a new garment that you wish to hold up
      over a long period of time with regular wear, you would be wise to
      look for a superwash label.

      The downside is that some people are of the opinion that Superwash
      yarns are not as soft and natural to the touch as normal untreated
      wool. This may of course depend on the brand and the type of
      Superwash treatment. But it remains that any garment or fiber
      labeled Superwash is no longer an organic fiber. And that is a
      downside because current trends show organic fibers being extremely
      popular. In fact, organic ANYTHING is extremely popular right now:
      organically grown meats, produce, dairy, eggs, cotton, flax, and the
      list continues. Organically grown vegetables would be raised without
      any chemicals whatsoever, no fertilizers or weed killers...
      therefore organic wool can not be Superwash.

      Knowing the characteristics of the fibers you use is critical for
      machine embroidery as well. Just today I dealt with a pet peeve of
      mine: a shirt I recently bought at an outlet store has an
      embroidered logo patch on the sleeve, approximately 5" high by 4"
      wide. After ONE light washing in cool water and air drying, the
      patch is curled and distorted making the almost-new shirt appear old
      and worn.

      Why did this happen? Because of the thread content used for the
      embroidery. Check your threads to see what the content is. Is it
      cotton thread? If so, expect shrinkage when the item gets near
      water. We only sell threads at our shop that will not give you poor
      results.

      Be careful with the materials you use. You are investing time and
      your reputation in your items, as well as the reputation of EVERY
      OTHER knitter or embroiderer... so invest in QUALITY materials
      instead of the cheapest close-out at the "superstore."

      You don't want your hand-made item to look used and worn after one
      light washing, do you?

      Of course not! Be proud of your work and use quality materials.

      OTHER
      NEWS..............................................................

      If you check the "files" section of this yahoo group, you will
      notice a lot of new things to browse. I have uploaded the
      registration forms and list of classes Carole and Jason will be
      teaching at the PURLS OF JOY Seminar in Minneapolis, Minnesota in
      the file called Purls of Joy.

      I have added folders for Sewing & Embroidery Camp and Knitting Camp
      2006 in the "files" section as well. The registration forms are
      available. They are being uploaded now.

      Carole is teaching at the SPRING FLING in Peru, Indiana April 21-22,
      2006. If you would like information about that knitting seminar, let
      me know.

      YARN
      SALE................................................................

      Tamm Diamante dress yarn, on sale for a limited time.

      Cotton for dishcloths or Summer Tops, still $6.50/pound despite
      rising shipping costs from the mills on the east coast of the US.

      McMorran Yarn Balance: we have sold these to satisfied customers for
      a few years. The device accurately measures the yardage of any yarn
      using a weighted balance. Simple and easy instructions included.
      $21.95 +s/h

      Electric Cone Winder: the one and only winder that winds onto
      paper/cardboard cones, $249 +s/h (there is a pic of this in
      the "photos" section)

      OF LOCAL
      INTEREST......................................................

      Fiber Friends meets at Rocking Horse Farm Tuesday, March 21 6-9pm.
      Bring your knitting/crochet project or spinning wheel.

      Don't forget that Embroidery Club meets every first Saturday (next:
      Sat. April 1, 2006) at 10am

      ~~and~~

      Machine Knitting club meets every first Saturday (next: Sat. April
      1, 2006) at 1:30pm.

      These three clubs are free and always welcoming new guests.
      Demonstrations are offered and "show and tell" is always a big treat.

      LOOKING FOR A KNITTING or other CLUB NEAR YOU??????????????????????

      A lot of new resources are popping up on the net to help people
      locate machine knitting clubs or other guilds all over the US and
      other places. Check our website's "links" page or write me for
      details on these sites.

      Happy knitting and sewing!