May knitting and fiber art news

    Message 1 of 2 , May 8, 2013
      Spring is here for most of us... don't forget to plant some colorful flowers or plants that can be used to dye yarn or print fabrics!

      Look back at the September Seminar pics on our Facebook page for a method of pounding flower petals onto fabric to make a print.

      1) MONTHLY KNITTING HINT
      2) NEW MACHINE KNITTING PATTERNS
      3) NEW HANDKNITTING PATTERNS
      4) FIBER ART PROJECT: DELTED DRYER BALLS
      5) YOUTUBE VIDEO: RUFFLED SCARF
      6) ROCKING HORSE FARM'S UPCOMING EVENTS

      1) MONTHLY KNITTING HINT

      Not enough yarn to finish your garment? Can't find more yarn that matches the dye lot?

      -knit the body of the garment in the main color and do the ribbing in a different dye lot.

      -in an extreme case, use the main yarn for a sweater front and back and save the other dye lot for the sleeves.

      -stretch out the amount of yarn by running another thin strand with for the entire project, like Tamm Petit 2/30 or a strand of Delaine 2/24

      -stretch out the amount of yarn by doing different color stripes or Missoni-style chevrons. Missoni is still in style. (Google 'Missoni' if you aren't sure.)

      2) NEW KNITTING MACHINE PATTERNS

      TRIANGULAR SHAWLS, with AUTOMATIC FRINGE: $8 +s/h
      5 patterns for standard and bulky knitting machines

      RUFFLED YOUNG MISS: $8 +s/h
      pattern for standard knitting machine with ribber or G-Carriage
      pictured on the front page of this Yahoo Group, or here:
      https://fbcdn-sphotos-b-a.akamaihd.net/hphotos-ak-ash4/374707_10151362078708344_132111797_n.jpg

      STRAPPY YOUNG MISS: $8 +s/h
      pattern for standard knitting machine with ribber or G-Carriage
      picture here: https://fbcdn-sphotos-f-a.akamaihd.net/hphotos-ak-frc1/407026_10151362293393344_1905381409_n.jpg

      3) NEW HANDKNITTING PATTTERNS

      We have the book "FRESH AIR #4" in stock, $18.95 +s/h. Contains 15 fresh knit and crochet designs for women and girls in the Cotton yarns. Perfect for summer.

      Also in stock: "BUILDING BLOCKS" by Michelle Hunter for Skacel Yarns. Expand your 'knitterly' repertoire with this master class from Michelle Hunter. You'll build your skill set with each block you knit, and by the end, you'll have a gorgeous lap throw. Each block teaches a new skill and has an accompanying online video lesson to watch. $19.95 +s/h.

      4) FIBER ART PROJECT: FELTED DRYER BALLS

      At our May knit club meeting Carole talked about Felted Dryer Balls. They sell for lots of money on Etsy and at events like Yarnover, but are easy to make. We have the roving and felting needles in our store for anyone to make their own.

      Dryer balls are supposed to help clothes dry faster and reduce static electricity.

      Here is a link that explains why they work, with a method for making them (although we suggest using our $1.75 felting needle for a better end result):

      http://www.crunchybetty.com/how-to-make-felted-wool-dryer-balls

      5) NEW YOUTUBE VIDEO

      We are slowly adding to our collection of Youtube videos, in the past few weeks we've added videos showing:
      -ruffles on the knitting machine
      -view of a knitting machine on a tilt stand
      -wrapping an isolated motif
      -garter bar baby booties

      ...and the newest video is... using Rozetti Marina ruffle yarn (tape yarn, Sashay, Starbella) on the knitting machine!

      Watch it here: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XMOhUyn6Xb0

      6) ROCKING HORSE FARM'S UPCOMING EVENTS

      Spring is a busy time for us at Rocking Horse Farm. We just completed the Purls of Joy Seminar and Yarnover event, and have events planned for every weekend now through June.

      Here is our calendar. Remember that if you are out of our area, plan a trip to visit us sometime. It will be worth your trip!

      Sat-Sun MAY 11-12 SHEPHERDS HARVEST - LAKE ELMO, MN (Washington County Fairgrounds)

      This is one of the largest sheep and wool festivals in the country.

      Marketplace is FREE, classes require pre-registration fee

      Carole Wurst will be doing knitting machine demos and have needles, tools, patterns, yarn, Sock Machine buckles and other supplies for sale in Building D, both days

      Pete & Deb Oswald will have a CSM (Circular Sock Machine) fix-it booth in Building A, both days

      Carole is doing a Finishing and Blocking class on Sunday morning. This is for hand or machine knitters and will include perfect seaming, kitchener stitch, duplicate stitch, hairpin lace style latching, invisible seams, and blocking.

      Carole and I (Jason) will be doing the hands-on knitting machine class on Sunday afternoon. Class is limited to a small number of people to ensure that we will be able to help everyone complete a pair of socks in the time provided.

      More info here:
      http://shepherdsharvestfestival.org/

      Saturday MAY 18 SPRING CSM GATHERING - ST. CLOUD, MN (Rocking Horse Farm)

      10-6

      FREE, no registration required

      Annual spring gathering featuring class by Deb and fix-it help from Pete.
      Show-and-tell will be led by Carole, bring your latest project or knitting question.
      Lunch is potluck.

      More details and a map to our meeting place is here:
      http://www.ravelry.com/events/rocking-horse-farms-spring-csm-sock-machine-gathering

      Saturday MAY 25 SOCK YARN DYE CLASS - ST. CLOUD, MN (Rocking Horse Farm)

      1:30-4:00

      $20 fee, covers dyes and sock yarn that you will take home

      Instructor: Carole Wurst

      Contact our store to register.

      Saturday JUNE 1 KNIT CLUB - ST. CLOUD, MN (Rocking Horse Farm)

      1:30-4:00

      FREE, no registration required

      Demo by Carole. Bring show-and-tell and a snack to share (optional).

      Saturday JUNE 8 J. WURST'S DESIGNAKNIT 8 SOFTWARE WORKSHOP - ST. CLOUD, MN (Rocking Horse Farm)

      10:00-5:00

      $25 fee, bring laptop with DAK program installed (or come to watch)

      Instructor: J. Wurst

      Topics planned: cable connections, uploading/downloading patterns, interactive knitting, stitch designer, intro to charting

      Contact our store to register.

      Thurs-Sat JUNE 13-15 KNITTING MACHINE CAMP - ST. CLOUD, MN (Rocking Horse Farm)

      10:00-6:00 each day

      $59 fee, bring machine with all parts labeled

      2 Instructors on hand, plus Fred who will be here to clean/fix/adjust machines

      Topics planned: Cotton Market Bag knit-a-long, Double Jacquard with Color Changer, and more

      Contact our store to register or print a registration from the "files" section of this Yahoo Group.

      WHERE TO FIND US:

      CAROLE'S COUNTRY KNITS at ROCKING HORSE FARM

      25636 County Road 74
      Saint Cloud, Minnesota 56301-9293 USA
      ~~~ Serving "Friendly Fiber Artists" since 1978! ~~~

      phone 320-252-2996

      Hours: Tuesday - Saturday, 10-6 (Central Time Zone)
      Discover/MasterCard/Visa, Check/Money Order or Paypal accepted

      website: http://home.earthlink.net/~rhfarm

      Facebook: https://www.facebook.com/pages/Rocking-Horse-Farm/229565593343

      Youtube: http://www.youtube.com/user/carolescountryknits

      Ravelry Group: http://www.ravelry.com/groups/rocking-horse-farm