April knitting & fiber art news

    Message 1 of 1 , Mar 31 9:52 PM
      1) THANK YOU FROM CAROLE
      2) CAROLE'S SEMINAR TEACHING SCHEDULE
      3) ROCKING HORSE NEWS SPRING ISSUE
      4) EQUIPMENT SALE
      5) NEW BLOG ABOUT YARN COMING SOON
      6) UPCOMING EVENTS AT ROCKING HORSE FARM
      7) SEMINARS IN YOUR AREA

      -----------

      1) THANK YOU FROM CAROLE

      Carole wishes to thank everyone for their thoughts, prayers, or cards sent during her recent hospitalization.

      She was unexpectedly hospitalized for 11 days and underwent surgery, requiring 5 weeks of home recovery. This was to include avoiding activity that required raised arms (such as knitting).

      But if you know Carole well, you know that she was eager to get back to work and she had already visited the store within 72 hours of being released from the hospital. She is now still recovering at home but manages to come in for a few hours on most days the store is open. We have kept up with all orders and have completed all knitting machines waiting for repair during her illness.

      Even though her 6 week recovery time will last until the end of April, she has started knitting small projects. Her first project was a handknit "Scarf in a Scarf" using one of the HandPaintKnittingYarn kits we sell. She has also been machine knitting baby items for a new great-grandson.

      I know there are some readers who will say that they weren't aware that my mother was ill. I have a tendency to be very private about health matters (especially mine). And most of all, I want to keep our online announcements upbeat and positive, and focus on knitting.

      -----------

      2) CAROLE'S SEMINAR TEACHING SCHEDULE

      I (Jason) have been conducting my mother's classes, lessons and club meetings at Rocking Horse Farm during her absence.

      But due to her recent surgery, Carole will not be at the CSM Sock Knitting Convention next weekend in Missouri. She is disappointed that she will have to miss it this year but looks forward to being back in 2014.

      My mother is still planning to teach at the annual PURLS OF JOY Knitting Machine Seminar on April 26-27. (This is just after her prescribed 6 week recovery time).

      -----------

      3) ROCKING HORSE NEWS SPRING ISSUE

      The Spring Issue is on schedule to be ready for mailing in early April. Some things being worked on for this issue include:

      -A much-requested pattern for the light green baby booties pictured on the front page of this Yahoo Group

      -a back-to-basics article about making cotton dishcloths on knitting machines that don't have patterning capabilities (like antique or hobby machines)

      -special sale offer on new patterns for current paid subscribers

      As always, this issue will be sent via First Class US Mail. Watch your mailbox soon!
      -----------

      4) EQUIPMENT SALE
      Our Spring Equipment Sale continues this month. Items include pre-owned knitting machines, ribbers, and ASHFORD spinning wheels.

      See it all on our Facebook page, here:

      https://www.facebook.com/media/set/?set=a.10151265134698344.441302.229565593343&type=1

      -----------

      5) NEW BLOG ABOUT YARN COMING SOON

      Starting sometime in April I plan to make a blog post spotlighting a new or interesting yarn once a week. This will be called FIBER FRIDAY and will appear on Ravelry or on our Facebook page.

      Stay tuned for an announcement soon!

      -----------

      6) UPCOMING EVENTS AT ROCKING HORSE FARM

      Knit Club, first Saturday of each month (2nd Sat. in Oct, Nov, Dec)1:30pm (free, all invited)
      Includes: Demonstration, Yarn Sale, Snacks, Fellowship, & Show and Tell
      Next Knit Club: Saturday, April 6

      Fiber Friends, 6-9pm (free, all invited) knit/crochet/spin/felt/etc. on the 3rd Tuesday of each month. Bring a project to work on.
      Next Fiber Friends: Tuesday, April 16

      ***Please Note: our store may be closed on Saturday April 27 because we are scheduled to be at both Purls of Joy and Yarnover... on the same day! There will be no one left to mind the store.

      May 19 (Saturday) - CSM Sock Knitting Machine Gathering, free, 10-6

      May 25 (Saturday) – Yarn Dye class, $20 registration fee includes the Sock Blank that you will dye and take home, pre-registration required

      June 13-16 (Thurs-Sat) - Knit Camp (bring machines) registration required

      Sept. 20-21 (Fri-Sat) - September Seminar, registration required

      Other classes during the month are listed in the Rocking Horse News. We host several monthly clubs and classes, and other annual events. Check the "files" section of this Yahoo Group for registration forms.

      -----------

      7) SEMINARS IN YOUR AREA

      Sandee Cherry has updated her webpage listing knitting seminars all over North America. Check it out here:

      http://www.sandeeskwikknit.com/seminar.html

      Carole is teaching at several of the seminars on Sandee's list, be sure to say hello!

      Take note of the upcoming PASSAP seminar in OREGON. It is one of the best (and only) opportunities for Passap knitters to gather and take classes. Info here: http://pacificallypassap.com/

      We have a reader in Baltimore, MARYLAND who would love to attend a seminar or knitting machine event in her area. Can anyone else offer a suggestion? Please write us at rhfarm@... and we will contact her.

      More seminars:

      Purls of Joy Seminar in Princeton, Minnesota (registration form uploaded today in "files" section of this yahoo group) - April 26-27

      Yarnover, sponsored by Minnesota Knitters Guild, Hopkins High School – April 27

      Shepherd's Harvest in Lake Elmo, Minnesota - May 11-12
      info here: www.shepherdsharvestfestival.org/

      Seminar in MICHIGAN - date TBA

      Knitting Machine Camp at Rocking Horse Farm (registration form will be uploaded soon in "files" section of this yahoo group) – June 13-16, 2013

      September Seminar at Rocking Horse Farm (registration form uploaded today in "files" section of this yahoo group) - September 20-21, 2013

      There are also seminars in NORTH CAROLINA and CALIFORNIA Sept. 20-21.

      Seminar in Grand Forks, NORTH DAKOTA - October 5