May knitting and fiber art news

    Message 1 of 2 , Feb 29, 2012
      1) A NEW TWIST ON AN OLD SCARF
      2) MAY SALES
      3) BOOK AND DISK CLEARANCE
      4) SOCK MACHINE GATHERING
      5) SPRING ISSUE OF ROCKING HORSE NEWS PATTERN NEWSLETTER
      6) BACK TO BASICS ON THE KNITTING MACHINE
      7) UPCOMING EVENTS AT ROCKING HORSE FARM
      8) PLAN A TRIP TO OUR STORE
      9) ARTISTIC SIDEWAYS KNIT JACKET

      ------------------

      1) A NEW TWIST ON AN OLD SCARF

      This month at Knit Club, Carole will be demonstrating a new method for using Ruffle Yarn (sometimes called "Tape Yarn") on the knitting machine to make a Ruffle Scarf.

      Pictures are available on our Facebook page, here:

      https://www.facebook.com/media/set/?set=a.10150726132658344.381186.229565593343&type=1&l=6022cfff07

      (You should be able to see the pictures at the link even if you are not a Facebook user.)

      A version of this scarf was taught at the Purls of Joy Seminar recently but Carole teaches a different method. Join us tomorrow (Saturday May 5) at 1:30 for the demonstration!

      ------------------

      2) MAY SALES

      Starbella, Rozetti, Tango, and other "Tape Yarns" are on sale this month.

      TAMM CRISTAL sale: was $19.00, now $17.30 until May 31. A 2/12 weight yarn, 68% Acrylic / 32% Polyester for knitting machines (Tension 4), crochet, or handknitting. Approximately 1 pound cones, 2,953 yards per pound. Washing instructions: Machine Wash and Dry.

      TAMM ESTILO sale: was $23.95, now $17.00 until May 31. A 2/14 yarn. Highly resistant, good wear and washability. Suited for blouses, baby clothes and dresses. 60% Acrylic / 40% Nylon for knitting machines (Tension 3-5), crochet, or handknitting. Approximately 1 pound cones, 3670 yards per pound. Washing instructions: Machine wash gentle cycle, (cool water and mild soap) and dry (low heat).

      TAMM PETIT sale: was $17.50, now $15.75 until May 31. A 2/30 weight yarn, 100% Acrylic for knitting machines (Tension 5), crochet, or handknitting. Approximately 1 pound cones, 8147 yards per pound. Excellent for 4-color jacquard knitting, Thread Lace, Plating, and more. ***This is the yarn Carole uses for her new pattern OVER THE TOP IN LACE.*** Washing instructions: Machine wash and dry on delicate.

      TAMM RAYITO sale: was $21.75, now $20.00 until May 31. A 3/15 weight yarn, 73% Acrylic / 27% Nylon for knitting machines (Tension 6-8), crochet, or handknitting. Approximately 1 pound cones, 2281 yards per pound. Washing instructions: Machine wash gentle cycle (cool water and mild soap) and dry low heat. ***We sell a lot of Rayito to knitters who make school team hats and scarves.***

      Special sale: select LAMBS PRIDE skeins, $5 each (regular $7.99+ )

      We have a box of acrylic lace weight and sock weight yarns, perfect for scrap yarns of Passap items, $5 each (while supplies last).

      All FLORIANI embroidery machine threads are $2.50 each when buying 10 or more.

      Used knitting machines: Look in the "files" section of this Yahoo Group for a folder called "2012 CURRENT KNITTING SALES." It contains a list of all the used Brother, Passap, Studio, and Silver Reed knitting machines we currently have available. We have over a dozen pre-owned knitting machines and ribbers available at reduced prices.

      We are including a FREE KNITLEADER with purchase of any used Brother or KnitKing knitting machine, while supplies last. The Knitleader accessory is a charting device.

      ------------------

      3) BOOK AND DISK CLEARANCE

      Half Price booklet by Marie Spaulding, "APPLIED FELT" to make all kinds of projects, including a knitting bag or purse, key chains, picture frames, animals, lots of toys, etc. Full color. Was $12.99, now $6.99

      Carole's TREE OF LIFE AFGHAN for the knitting machine: pattern leaflet was $6, now $3. Uses a pattern built into Brother 930-965i machines, or disk for other machines available for $3 +s/h.

      Jason's AWARENESS AFGHAN for the knitting machine: shows a ribbon suitable for cancer or other causes. For Fairisle, or Double Jacquard, or G-Carriage. Was $12, now $8. Includes disk for 940-970 machines or DAK.

      Large selection of DESIGNAKNIT books and CD's, half price. Titles include: DAK Learning series, Stitch World for DAK, Silver Cards for DAK, DesignaKnit Pants Drafting, Shapes and Such by Marcia Hauser, and lots more.

      DAK cable for non-electronic knitting machines (Bond, LK150, Baby Brother, Toyota, etc.) was $70, now $45.

      DAK cable (9 pin) for KH930, 965i or 970 knitting machines, was $115, now $85.

      ------------------

      4) SOCK MACHINE GATHERING

      The annual Spring CSM Sock Machine Gathering at Rocking Horse Farm is happening soon! Come join us for a fun time, Saturday May 19th from 10-6.

      Past gatherings have included knitters of all skill levels using many brands of vintage or modern circular sock machines. This event is free. We start around 10am and can continue until 6pm. Lunch is potluck.

      Special for this Gathering will be a Dyeing class held at 1:30. Participants will be able to purchase a sock blank for $20 and dye it on the spot using our special method that guarantees a matching pair. The dyes we will use are non-toxic common household kitchen products, so no masks or gloves will be needed.

      After this event, the next CSM Gathering at Rocking Horse Farm will be in the fall. There will be no summer event because people can attend the National CSM Convention in Denver.

      ------------------

      5) SPRING ISSUE OF ROCKING HORSE NEWS PATTERN NEWSLETTER

      The spring issue was mailed out in April to all current-paid subscribers.

      Patterns include: Missoni-inspired Pillow, Wild Meadow Afghan, Summer Twist scarf.

      A beginner-level pattern for easy socks is also featured, with instructions on hand-manipulated lace suitable for any knitting machine that doesn't have punchcard or electronic patterning... Profile machines, plastic bed machines, vintage or antique machines, etc. The socks have a nice Picot edge so a ribber isn't required.

      Current paid subscribers can request FREE DesignaKnit files for 2 of the patterns in the newsletter, for a limited time.

      ------------------

      6) BACK TO BASICS ON THE KNITTING MACHINE

      The previous issue (winter) of the ROCKING HORSE NEWS is still available. The theme of that issue is "BACK TO BASICS" and the featured patterns are simple projects that a beginner can do.

      Patterns include: Basic Double Hat, Basic Latched Scarf, Basic Ribbed Headband, and Child's Poncho. There is also a pattern for a reversible mutli-color Hunting Hat.

      Techniques include: Carole's favorite ribber cast-on, double E-Wrap cast-on, and more.

      Paid subscribers can take advantage of a special offer for $5 off a pattern book. Details are on page 3.

      Order the single issue for $3.95 or subscribe for $8.95/1 year, $15.95/2 years (US addresses).

      ------------------

      7) UPCOMING CLASSES and EVENTS at ROCKING HORSE FARM:

      Sat. May 5: Knit Club, 1:30. (free, all invited) Demo: New Twist on an Old Scarf. Bring show-and-tell and a snack to share (optional)

      Sat. May 12: say hello to Carole at SHEPHERDS HARVEST in Lake Elmo, MN. She will have a vendor booth in Building D. (The store will still be open regular hours, 10-6.)

      Sun. May 13: Carole teaches "Natural Fibers on the Knitting Machine" at SHEPHERDS HARVEST in Lake Elmo, MN. She will be teaching socks on both flat and circular machines.

      Sat. May 19: CSM Sock Knitting Gathering at RHF, 10-6. Lunch is potluck.

      Sat. May 19: Sock Dye Class, 1:30pm

      Sat. May 26: DesignaKnit8 software workshop taught by Jason at RHF, 10-5. Pre-registration required.

      Sat. June 2: Knit Club, 1:30. (free, all invited) Demo: TBA. Bring show-and-tell and a snack to share (optional)

      KNITING MACHINE CAMP: Thursday-Saturday June 14-16
      Sit-and-knit with others! Registration form can be found in the Rocking Horse News.

      SEPTEMBER SEMINAR: Friday-Saturday Sept. 14-15. New format this year. Registration form can be found in the Rocking Horse News.

      ------------------

      8) PLAN A TRIP TO OUR STORE

      Keep Rocking Horse Farm in your summer travel plans! We have plenty of space for large vehicles or motor homes to park, you can even stay overnight (contact us for info). We can suggest things for spouses to do while you visit, like local museums or attractions. We can also recommend restaurants or lodging for guests who visit from long distances.

      If you have a group that would like to schedule a visit or tour, feel free to contact our store. We love hosting groups! We can plan a program with some hands-on activities like needle felting, or just let you roam around our complex looking at your own pace.

      ------------------

      9) ARTISTIC SIDEWAYS KNIT JACKET

      An emailer requested pictures of this pattern by Carole so we just created a new album for it on Facebook. Here is a link you can click to see the pictures. It will work even if you don't have a Facebook account:

      https://www.facebook.com/media/set/?set=a.10150484453238344.352564.229565593343&type=3

      The pattern is written for any Mid-Gauge Knitting Machine using worsted weight yarn like Lamb's Pride or Universal Deluxe Worsted Magic. Pattern, $8 +s/h. (Priority Mail to US addresses, 5.99)
      Message 2 of 2 , May 8, 2013
        Spring is here for most of us... don't forget to plant some colorful flowers or plants that can be used to dye yarn or print fabrics!

        Look back at the September Seminar pics on our Facebook page for a method of pounding flower petals onto fabric to make a print.

        1) MONTHLY KNITTING HINT
        2) NEW MACHINE KNITTING PATTERNS
        3) NEW HANDKNITTING PATTERNS
        4) FIBER ART PROJECT: DELTED DRYER BALLS
        5) YOUTUBE VIDEO: RUFFLED SCARF
        6) ROCKING HORSE FARM'S UPCOMING EVENTS

        1) MONTHLY KNITTING HINT

        Not enough yarn to finish your garment? Can't find more yarn that matches the dye lot?

        -knit the body of the garment in the main color and do the ribbing in a different dye lot.

        -in an extreme case, use the main yarn for a sweater front and back and save the other dye lot for the sleeves.

        -stretch out the amount of yarn by running another thin strand with for the entire project, like Tamm Petit 2/30 or a strand of Delaine 2/24

        -stretch out the amount of yarn by doing different color stripes or Missoni-style chevrons. Missoni is still in style. (Google 'Missoni' if you aren't sure.)

        2) NEW KNITTING MACHINE PATTERNS

        TRIANGULAR SHAWLS, with AUTOMATIC FRINGE: $8 +s/h
        5 patterns for standard and bulky knitting machines

        RUFFLED YOUNG MISS: $8 +s/h
        pattern for standard knitting machine with ribber or G-Carriage
        pictured on the front page of this Yahoo Group, or here:
        https://fbcdn-sphotos-b-a.akamaihd.net/hphotos-ak-ash4/374707_10151362078708344_132111797_n.jpg

        STRAPPY YOUNG MISS: $8 +s/h
        pattern for standard knitting machine with ribber or G-Carriage
        picture here: https://fbcdn-sphotos-f-a.akamaihd.net/hphotos-ak-frc1/407026_10151362293393344_1905381409_n.jpg

        3) NEW HANDKNITTING PATTTERNS

        We have the book "FRESH AIR #4" in stock, $18.95 +s/h. Contains 15 fresh knit and crochet designs for women and girls in the Cotton yarns. Perfect for summer.

        Also in stock: "BUILDING BLOCKS" by Michelle Hunter for Skacel Yarns. Expand your 'knitterly' repertoire with this master class from Michelle Hunter. You'll build your skill set with each block you knit, and by the end, you'll have a gorgeous lap throw. Each block teaches a new skill and has an accompanying online video lesson to watch. $19.95 +s/h.

        4) FIBER ART PROJECT: FELTED DRYER BALLS

        At our May knit club meeting Carole talked about Felted Dryer Balls. They sell for lots of money on Etsy and at events like Yarnover, but are easy to make. We have the roving and felting needles in our store for anyone to make their own.

        Dryer balls are supposed to help clothes dry faster and reduce static electricity.

        Here is a link that explains why they work, with a method for making them (although we suggest using our $1.75 felting needle for a better end result):

        http://www.crunchybetty.com/how-to-make-felted-wool-dryer-balls

        5) NEW YOUTUBE VIDEO

        We are slowly adding to our collection of Youtube videos, in the past few weeks we've added videos showing:
        -ruffles on the knitting machine
        -view of a knitting machine on a tilt stand
        -wrapping an isolated motif
        -garter bar baby booties

        ...and the newest video is... using Rozetti Marina ruffle yarn (tape yarn, Sashay, Starbella) on the knitting machine!

        Watch it here: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XMOhUyn6Xb0

        6) ROCKING HORSE FARM'S UPCOMING EVENTS

        Spring is a busy time for us at Rocking Horse Farm. We just completed the Purls of Joy Seminar and Yarnover event, and have events planned for every weekend now through June.

        Here is our calendar. Remember that if you are out of our area, plan a trip to visit us sometime. It will be worth your trip!

        Sat-Sun MAY 11-12 SHEPHERDS HARVEST - LAKE ELMO, MN (Washington County Fairgrounds)

        This is one of the largest sheep and wool festivals in the country.

        Marketplace is FREE, classes require pre-registration fee

        Carole Wurst will be doing knitting machine demos and have needles, tools, patterns, yarn, Sock Machine buckles and other supplies for sale in Building D, both days

        Pete & Deb Oswald will have a CSM (Circular Sock Machine) fix-it booth in Building A, both days

        Carole is doing a Finishing and Blocking class on Sunday morning. This is for hand or machine knitters and will include perfect seaming, kitchener stitch, duplicate stitch, hairpin lace style latching, invisible seams, and blocking.

        Carole and I (Jason) will be doing the hands-on knitting machine class on Sunday afternoon. Class is limited to a small number of people to ensure that we will be able to help everyone complete a pair of socks in the time provided.

        More info here:
        http://shepherdsharvestfestival.org/

        Saturday MAY 18 SPRING CSM GATHERING - ST. CLOUD, MN (Rocking Horse Farm)

        10-6

        FREE, no registration required

        Annual spring gathering featuring class by Deb and fix-it help from Pete.
        Show-and-tell will be led by Carole, bring your latest project or knitting question.
        Lunch is potluck.

        More details and a map to our meeting place is here:
        http://www.ravelry.com/events/rocking-horse-farms-spring-csm-sock-machine-gathering

        Saturday MAY 25 SOCK YARN DYE CLASS - ST. CLOUD, MN (Rocking Horse Farm)

        1:30-4:00

        $20 fee, covers dyes and sock yarn that you will take home

        Instructor: Carole Wurst

        Contact our store to register.

        Saturday JUNE 1 KNIT CLUB - ST. CLOUD, MN (Rocking Horse Farm)

        1:30-4:00

        FREE, no registration required

        Demo by Carole. Bring show-and-tell and a snack to share (optional).

        Saturday JUNE 8 J. WURST'S DESIGNAKNIT 8 SOFTWARE WORKSHOP - ST. CLOUD, MN (Rocking Horse Farm)

        10:00-5:00

        $25 fee, bring laptop with DAK program installed (or come to watch)

        Instructor: J. Wurst

        Topics planned: cable connections, uploading/downloading patterns, interactive knitting, stitch designer, intro to charting

        Contact our store to register.

        Thurs-Sat JUNE 13-15 KNITTING MACHINE CAMP - ST. CLOUD, MN (Rocking Horse Farm)

        10:00-6:00 each day

        $59 fee, bring machine with all parts labeled

        2 Instructors on hand, plus Fred who will be here to clean/fix/adjust machines

        Topics planned: Cotton Market Bag knit-a-long, Double Jacquard with Color Changer, and more

        Contact our store to register or print a registration from the "files" section of this Yahoo Group.

        WHERE TO FIND US:

        CAROLE'S COUNTRY KNITS at ROCKING HORSE FARM

        25636 County Road 74
        Saint Cloud, Minnesota 56301-9293 USA
        ~~~ Serving "Friendly Fiber Artists" since 1978! ~~~

        phone 320-252-2996

        Hours: Tuesday - Saturday, 10-6 (Central Time Zone)
        Discover/MasterCard/Visa, Check/Money Order or Paypal accepted

        website: http://home.earthlink.net/~rhfarm

        Facebook: https://www.facebook.com/pages/Rocking-Horse-Farm/229565593343

        Youtube: http://www.youtube.com/user/carolescountryknits

        Ravelry Group: http://www.ravelry.com/groups/rocking-horse-farm