news for Sock knitters!

    Message 1 of 1 , Mar 31 8:59 PM
      We have some exciting news for knitters interested in socks!

      New colors of REGIA KAFFE FASSETT SOCK YARN are now in stock ($7.99/skein), as well as new colors of Marathon sock yarns ($14.95/skein).

      The very popular DEBBIE MACOMBER "PETALS" SOCK YARN is also back in stock. This is an extremely soft sock yarn, with a bit of angora for softness but also long-wearing and washable. One of our customers recently sent a happy message saying that these are her most favorite pair of socks that she has ever made. She has washed them several times and they are still like new. She made hers on a Studio knitting machine and ribber, but the yarn works well on a round sock machine or when knitting by hand. ($19.00/skein)

      Carole and Fred are in Cape Girardeau, Missouri this weekend at the 2nd annual Erlbacher-Gearhart Knitting Machine Company event. There are several dozen knitters in attendance with all types of sock machines, both antqiue and modern, lots of vendors, tours of the manufacturing plant, and classes. Carole reports that it is a fantastic event.

      Just in time for that Sock Machine event we released a brand new book called SOCK MACHINE EXPERIENCES. Carole took a few pre-sale copies of the book and has sold out of them, the larger printing will be available in the next few weeks. Price of the book will be announced in the ROCKING HORSE NEWS.

      The new book features lots of hints and tips, project ideas, some sock machine history, yarn suggestions for different machines, and more. There are some basic patterns included in the book although it is really more of an idea book than a pattern book.

      We put this book together based on the suggestions of the many people who have been frustrated with the lack of information in the manuals or on the internet. So we developed a whole picture-story of a sock, from beginning to end, IN PICTURES. The black and white pictures make the sock techniques easy to see and will be useful when making socks at home. You can hold the book next to your machine and compare the picture to your machine.

      Watch for details on how to order this book soon.

      In other news, we are working on a new sock pattern with hand-transferred lace on a standard (flat) knitting machine for the next issue of the ROCKING HORSE NEWS. The pattern will feature a picot edge so a ribber is not needed. This will be perfect for people who own vintage machines or hobby machines that can't have a ribber attached. Several knitters at our Winter Knit-In in February made the socks, including a beginner.

      Stay tuned for more news soon.