June knitting and fiber news

    Message 1 of 2 , Jun 1, 2011
      1) ROCKING HORSE NEWS - NEW TANK TOP PATTERN
      2) HANDKNITTING HINT FOR FAIRISLE
      3) UPCOMING EVENTS AT ROCKING HORSE FARM
      4) ERLBACHER GEARHART SOCK MACHINE NEWS
      5) NEW RAVELRY GROUP
      6) EDUCATION FOR PASSAP KNITTERS
      7) SOCK YARN DYED WITH WILTON FOOD PASTE
      8) HEALTH BENEFITS OF KNITTING

      1) ROCKING HORSE NEWS - NEW TANK TOP PATTERN AND MORE

      We are currently working on the Summer Issue and hope to mail it soon. The new patterns will be an updated version of a machine knit tank top, styled for today. Also, a Swallowtail Shawl and an article about socks on knitting machines.

      Subscribe for $8.95/1 year or $15.95/2 years (US addresses).

      2) UPCOMING EVENTS AT ROCKING HORSE FARM

      *We host several monthly clubs and classes, and other annual events at our store. Check the ROCKING HORSE NEWS for a full calendar*

      Machine Embroidery Club, first Saturday of each month, 10am (free, all invited) Next: June 4th

      Knit Club, first Saturday of each month, 1:30pm (free, all invited)
      Demonstration, Show and Tell, refreshments. Next: June 4th. Demonstration by Carole: "Summer Cotton Knits"

      Fiber Friends, third Tuesday 6-9pm (knit/crochet/spin/felt/etc.) is off for the summer.

      Knitting Camp at Rocking Horse Farm (registration form in "files" section of this yahoo group and on Facebook page) - July 21-23

      September Seminar with Marcia Hauser & Other Demonstrators at Rocking Horse Farm (registration form in "files" section of this yahoo group and on Facebook page) - September 15-17, 2011

      3) ERLBACHER GEARHART SOCK MACHINE

      The completion date for the new Erlbacher Gearhart sock machines is fast approaching. We expect to ship the first pre-ordered machines at the end of this month.

      Several people tried the machine at the Sock Machine gathering here in May. The machine has completed several pairs of Hemmed Top Socks and a pair of socks using an old 1924 ribber.

      Contact us for information and pricing on these new machines, or check our Facebook page for pics, info and links to the company.

      *Also: Peewee Erlbacher says he is planning to attend the September Seminar this year. Don't miss the opportunity to come and meet the man to engineer and manufacture the first knitting machines in America for many decades!

      4) NEW RAVELRY GROUP

      Ravelry is an online community of knitters, crocheters and fiber enthusiasts who want to meet new friends and share ideas.

      Rocking Horse Farm now has a RAVELRY group! Join today to hear about the latest fiber adventures from Rocking Horse Farm. We also plan to post pictures of recent projects and new patterns.

      Don't worry, this Yahoo Group won't be going away... but we want to reach out to new friends at Ravelry, too.

      Find our Ravelry group here:

      http://www.ravelry.com/groups/rocking-horse-farm

      (You will be asked to make a ravelry profile if you aren't already a member of the ravelry.com site!)

      5) HANDKNITTING HINT FOR FAIRISLE

      (The following idea is shared by the makers of THE KNIT KIT, a handy set of knitting tools for travel, $21.95 +s/h)

      Cool idea for multicolored handknitting (Fair Isle)-
      Using either circular or double-pointed needles, work across the row, knitting every stitch in color A and slipping as if to purl every stitch that is in color B. At the end of the row and without turning, slide the stitches back to the right side needle, pick up color B, work every slipped stitch in B, slipping the already worked stitches in A. If you are working in the round, simply work all of A, then work a second round of B. It seems to be speedier, but try it and let me know!

      6) EDUCATIONAL OPPORTUNITY FOR PASSAP KNITTERS

      Owners of Passap knitting machines may want to check out this site. It proclaims "Insider secrets to learning the Passap Knitting Machine." It was advertised at the recent Pacifically Passap seminar.

      http://www.passapknitter.com/

      There is a place to enter your email address to "Get your free mini-course on how to start using your Passap knitting machine with success."

      The website author is Marjorie McDonald, a knitwear designer. Her website states: "The learning curve is a bit steep, but certainly doable so I want to encourage you to stay with it until you get to the breakthrough moments and gain the confidence to know you can tackle this marvelous machine. I will be taking you through a simple set of steps so you understand what the Passap language is, how you learn it and in what order you need to put the steps."

      It sounds like a good site, if anyone signs up for the course let us know what you think.

      *Don't forget that we always have Passap classes at September Seminar. Stay tuned for details about this year's topics.

      7)

      Wilton Food Paste can be used to dye sock yarn. This was demonstrated recently by Barb Endler at the Finger Lakes Knitting Seminar in Cortland, New York.

      Carole dyed some sock blanks in the kitchen at Rocking Horse Farm recently, and we posted a photo story on our Facebook page:

      http://www.facebook.com/media/set/?set=a.10150173118988344.292748.229565593343&l=9ce34f21d0

      8)ARTICLE ABOUT THE HEALTH BENEFITS OF KNITTING & CROCHET

      This was shared by one of our handknitting pattern suppliers, from an article by a knitting teacher.

      ""Crafting has both mental and physical health benefits. Two crafts that have health benefits are knitting and crocheting. Research has shown that the repetitive actions needed in these crafts relaxes the mind and body. During crafting, brainwave patterns change to produce a higher Alpha-waves. This calming effect is similar to the effects of yoga, meditation and Tai Chi. This calm state combined with the intense focus required of reading patterns, diverts the brain's attention from chronic pain, thereby producing a calm state.

      Knitting and crocheting also enhance one's ability to concentrate and retain information because it engages both hemispheres of the brain simultaneously. People who suffer from attention deficiency are said to be right brained, therefore knitting's simultaneous engagement of both hemispheres of the brain improves their learning abilities.

      Knitting helps people to cope with pain and stress, such as post-traumatic stress, stress associated with grief, work and chronic illness. When people learn new skills, the brain focuses on the task at hand thereby diverting one's attention from the pain and stress that one is experiencing. It also serves as a perfect pastime for those recovering from illnesses such as cancer.

      Knitting and crocheting helps to keep the fingers limb for patients suffering from arthritis and also wards off Alzheimer's disease. Research, at the Harvard Medical School, has shown that knitting has therapeutic benefits. The research results indicate that when an individual is knitting, the heart rate and blood pressure drops. This is beneficial to those with anxiety, hypertension, heart disease and depression."