new knitting pictures and announcements

    Message 1 of 1 , Feb 28, 2011
      Hello everyone, February has been a busy month for knitting here at Rocking Horse Farm. We hope you've had time to enjoy knitting, stitching or spinning this month.

      The month began with our annual Silver Tea and Style Show. A wonderful group of creative machine and handknitters showed some inspiring designs around the theme "Wrap it Up." See pictures in the Files section of this group or on our facebook page, here:

      http://www.facebook.com/home.php#!/album.php?aid=255883&id=229565593343

      In mid-February we hosted machine knitters from 3 states at our Winter Knit-In. Pictures of this event are also posted here and on our Facebook page. It was a great time to mingle with other machine knitting enthusiasts of various skill levels.

      Later in the month Carole traveled to UW Stout in Menomonie, Wisconsin to give a lecture for the textile students. This college actually has a knitting machine lab open to the students... a large room with a bunch of knitting machines set up and ready to use. This helps prove that machine knitting is alive and well, doesn't it?

      Last weekend Carole and Fred traveled to Vinton, Iowa to give a hands-on knitting machine workshop hosted by Sue Hart. Several knitting enthusiasts and Alpaca breeders were on hand to learn machine knitting. Fred cleaned and adjusted machines while Carole taught intermediate and advanced techniques.

      Knitters are always such a friendly group. It's always a good experience sharing stories with fellow knitting enthusiasts.

      News and Announcements:

      1) YARN SALE EXTENDED
      2) SPINNING WHEEL FACTORY NEAR EARTHQUAKE IN NEW ZEALAND
      3) OPERATION TOASTY TOES
      4) SUGAR & CREAM and OTHER COTTON PRICES
      5) SILVER REED PRICE INCREASE
      6) TREKKING SOCK YARN KNIT-A-LONG
      7) HANDKNITTING BOBBLE IDEA
      8) NEW KNITTING MACHINE TABLE CONCEPT

      ------------------------
      1) YARN SALE EXTENDED

      We are extending the Tamm yarn sale for a few extra days into March.

      Cristal by Tamm is a 2/12 perfect for shrugs or shoulder wraps that are cool on the skin but provide warmth and drape. 68% acrylic 32% polyester - 2,953 yards on 1 pound cone for handknitting, machine knitting or crochet. 12 colors available (regular price $19.00/pound)
      sale price $17.30

      Rayito by Tamm is 3/15 for sweaters or warmer shrugs. 73% acrylic
      27% nylon - 2,281 yards on 1 pound cone in 22 colors (regular price $20.50/pound) sale price $18.75

      ------------------------
      2) SPINNING WHEEL FACTORY NEAR EARTHQUAKE IN NEW ZEALAND

      Our supplier of spinning wheels, carders, felting needles and looms is located about an hour away from the epicenter of the earthquake that struck New Zealand last week. We received a message from the factory saying that even though there was damage near them, they were all okay and orders or manufacturing shouldn't be affected.

      See a picture of the damage and read more about it here:

      http://www.ashford.co.nz/newsite/latest-news/were-ok-after-christchurch-earthquake

      On a happier note, browse around their website to see their products and be inspired.

      ------------------------
      3) OPERATION TOASTY TOES

      We received an email from someone on the East Coast asking if anyone still does Operation Toasty Toes (slippers for servicepeople). They said that most of the websites have disappeared and the ones that remain haven't been touched for a few years.

      We still collect and send slippers to servicepeople. Does anyone know of another active group using the Operation Toasty Toes name? Please let us know so we can pass along the info.

      ------------------------
      4) SUGAR & CREAM and OTHER COTTON PRICES

      Have you heard the news reports about cotton? The amount of cotton production is going down all over the world, and conflict in places like Egypt have caused speculators to inch the price up more. A BBC report I listened to said that European designers are considering 100% cotton to be a luxury fiber, and the days of buying inexpensive cotton socks, undergarments, etc may be drawing to a close. A lot of formerly cotton garments are showing up as being part cotton and part polyester, or part cotton and part cellulose.

      This goes along with what are yarn suppliers are saying, that cotton is becoming increasingly more difficult to find and prices are raising. Even Sugar & Cream is scheduled for a price increase from the factory as of March 1st.

      ------------------------
      5) SILVER REED PRICE INCREASE

      Speaking of price increases, we received word that prices for Silver Reed knitting machines a supplies were going up, effective immediately. The announcement came in mid-February with no chance to stock up at old prices. The price for knitting machines is being raised approximately a hundred dollars, which isn't too bad considering this is the first price raise in about 10 years.

      In an effort to serve our customers as best we can, we have actually been able to lower our price on some sponge retainer bars. We've located a different source of high quality product at a lower price. We continue to try to offer the lowest price possible or match other prices, even online competition.

      ------------------------
      6) TREKKING SOCK YARN KNIT-A-LONG

      One of our yarn suppliers, The Skacel Collection yarn company has announced the "Twenty Years of Trekking" Knit Along and Contest. The Knit Along, hosted by Michelle Hunter of Knit Purl Hunter, consists of
      a series of "mystery" projects using 1 skein of Trekking sock yarn.

      All are welcome to join the handknitting Knit Along, with or without participation in the contest. There are weekly and monthly prizes awarded, culminating in July with the Grand Prize.

      The winner of the Grand Prize will receive a weekend getaway for two to Seattle, including a trip to Skacel and a $1,000 shopping spree (!!!) for yarns and needles in the skacel warehouse.

      The Knit Along began in January and will run for six months, with a different one skein project for each month. Each month's project pattern is an original design, featuring Trekking yarn. The full pattern will remain a mystery until the final clue is revealed in the fourth week.

      The knit along clues and instructions will be posted in four segments on the 1st, 8th, 15th and 22nd of each month on www.knitpurlhunter.com

      Once posted, all instructions will remain on the website through the contest end, July 15, 2011. They can all be downloaded and printed.

      All patterns will be accompanied by video lessons within each segment enabling handknitters of all skill levels to participate.

      Check out the February project now that all the clues have been revealed:

      http://knitpurlhunter.com/kal/

      7) HANDKNITTING BOBBLE IDEA

      Love bobbles, but hate that back and forth knitting? Try this idea. Put the stitch that is going to have the bobble on a crochet hook, and then make five double crochets in the stitch, keeping one loop of each on the hook. Then pull through all loops, and place that stitch back on the needle. Push the bobble through to the correct side. Bobble!!!!

      8) NEW KNITTING MACHINE TABLE CONCEPT

      A new yahoo group has formed to discuss creating a modern and economical knitting machine table. Pictures and schematics of designs are posted and input is very welcome. The goal of the group seems to be to come up with a design that people can make on their own. Check out what they have come up with so far:

      more news to come soon!