Happy Distaff Day to all knitters, weavers and spinners!

    Message 1 of 1 , Jan 6, 2011
      December 7th is traditionally celebrated as Saint Distaff Day, a holiday for knitters, spinners, crafters and fiber artists. It marks the first day after the 12 days of Christmas that people get back to working with yarn and fiber. It is a centuries old tradition from England that we have re-started at Rocking Horse Farm.

      This year our celebration will take place on Saturday, January 8th. By request we decided to combine our Saint Distaff Day open house with our monthly club meetings. Join us for Embroidery fun on January 8th from 10-noon, and knitting from 1:30-4.

      In keeping with the old traditions, bring any leftover Christmas goodies and snacks you have to share with others. Also bring your latest project to show. If you have handknitting you are working on, bring it with!

      If you aren't close enough to us to visit in person, consider hosting your own Saint Distaff's Day party in your area!

      Here is a Saint Distaff's Day Event in Massachusetts:

      http://home.earthlink.net/~judycat/

      And here is a list of related events in Texas:

      http://www.bluemoonfibers.com/rocday.html

      and even MORE about it from Storied Yarns in Tennessee:

      http://jessecreations.wordpress.com/2011/01/01/fiber-arts-friday-distaff-day-and-more/

      In other news, it is a new year and we have exciting things planned. Stay tuned for announcements of upcoming sales, new products and events including our Scarf Style Show and the Winter Knit-In both coming in February.