August Knitting and Fiber News

    Message 1 of 1 , Aug 5, 2010
      Hello friends! Hope everyone is enjoying summer. Don't forget to start planning projects for cooler weather and holiday gift giving. It's never too early to start planning!

      A great way to get inspired is by attending our SEPTEMBER SEMINAR. We are finalizing the class list and schedule and will make it available as soon as the demonstrators give their "ok."

      We will have classes for all levels of knitters from beginner to advanced, and other sewing, machine embroidery and fiber arts classes too.

      ---
      Those of you in the center of the US should consider attending the MARK TWAIN AREA MACHINE KNITTERS SEMINAR in Hannial, Missouri. Demonstrators are Kathryn Doubrley (known as "The Answer Lady") and Jason Wurst. Full details can be found at this site:

      http://www.ileen.com/

      ---
      August Club Meetings and Classes at Rocking Horse Farm

      Machine Embroidery Club, Sat. August 7, 10am (free, all invited)

      Machine Knit Club, Sat. August 7, 1:30pm (free, all invited)
      Demonstration Topic: Knitting for Preemies
      Show and Tell: bring any item to share, especially Preemie items

      Mitten Class, Thursday August 12, 1:30pm (free, call ahead)

      Fiber Friends, knit/crochet/spin/etc. on the 3rd Tuesday of each month, off for summer

      Seaming Knits (hand or machine knits), Wed. August 18, 1:30pm (free, call ahead)

      Machine Embroidery on Knits, Wed. August 25, 1:30pm (free, call ahead)

      Dishcloths on the Knitting Machine, Tues. August 31, 1:30pm (free, call ahead)

      ---
      Dishcloth/Washcloth Patterns: Looking for a new pattern to try?

      For hand knitters we stock the Fiber Trends pattern called "SUNSHINE AND SAILS BATH SET" which includes coordinated Soap Sack, Face Cloth and Back Scrubber with pretty flower and sailboat motifs. We are told the Face Cloth can be easily adapted to a dishcloth. $5.99 +s/h

      For machine knitters we have Carole's handy leaflet with several Dishcloth options including shortcuts and time-saving hints. Also includes Skip Grettum's machine knit towel topper. $6.00 +s/h

      We also have made sure to include machine knit dishcloth or washcloth patterns in our books PRETTY AND PRACTICAL, YOUR MID-GAUGE FAVORITES, and THE BULKY BOOK.

      ---
      For handknitters looking for a new challenge or inspiration:

      We sell Myrna's book "STAHMAN'S SHAWLS & SCARVES" for $30 +s/h. The 152 page book includes beautiful lace Faroe-ese shaped shawls and Seaman's Institute-styled scarves with ribbing and lace. One of her patterns is featured at the beginning of Debbie Macomber's novel "Back on Blossom Street."

      SEPTEMBER SEMINAR: Sept. 16-18, 2010

      Demonstrators:

      Charlene Shafer
      Pat Plett
      Carole Wurst
      Rose Ver Vooren
      Skip Grettum
      Jason Wurst
      Kris Boland
      Judy Blomgren
      Shawn Dolan (Repair Technician)
      Joyce Hirning (Passap)
      Jan Ebner (Sock Machines)
      Sharon Rassier (Sock Machines)
      Barb Kuklok (Sewing)
      Jerome Jensen (Embroidery & Digitizing)

      Knitting Machine Classes will include:

      Afghans
      Baby Items
      Basic Beginner Class
      Bed Scarves (Bedspread Alternative)
      Cast-Ons and Bind Offs
      Christmas Stockings
      Crafty Ideas
      Designer Garments
      Fine Lace Used for Texture
      Finishing
      Float Control Using the Ribber
      G-Carriage Tips
      Lace Shawl
      Machine Cleaning and Repair
      Passap Sessions
      Rib Alternatives
      Seamless Socks: Knee High, Mini Cable, Hand Transfer Lace
      Two Color Double Bed Knitting
      Weaving on the Machine
      Woven Bags

      DesignaKnit Software Classes will include:(BRING YOUR LAPTOP!)

      Basic Overview
      Customizing Standard Garment Shapes with Bust Dart and Waist Shaping
      Pattern Transfer
      Personalization Using Stitch Designer

      Other Seminar Classes will include:

      Blocking
      Clothes Line Capers (using Clothes Line for rugs, bags, bowls & more)
      Handknit & Crochet Sessions
      Vintage Sock Machine (CSM) beginner to advanced (bring machine!)
      Sewing & Embroidery Machine Projects
      Embroidery Digitizing & Software Sessions (bring laptop!)

      Check the "files" section for the registration form.

      Carole just checked with the hotels to make sure there will be a special rate. Mention "Rocking Horse Farm" when making your reservation.