December news: Snuggle Robe, NFL-style team color hat, and more

    Message 1 of 1 , Dec 2 3:56 PM
      Hello friends, we hope everyone is busy knitting and stitching holiday projects and charitable items.

      Don't forget to send or bring items for our annual MITTEN TREE project. We have several trees set up and already have them decorated with several pairs of children's mittens, adult and children's hats, Toasty Toes slippers, and knitted children's toys. I will set up a photo album so you can see some of the contributions. We will continue collecting items on the trees until January.

      Carole has been making SNUGGLE ROBES out of fleece fabric with a machine knit (ribbed) collar. Yes, in case you are wondering, this was inspired by the "Snuggie" trend. Check out a picture on the main page of this yahoo group, or see them in person at our store.

      If you look closely at the home page picture, you will notice the SNUGGLE ROBE is in team colors of orange and black and includes a machine embroidered team name. The collar was ribbed on a standard machine with ribber and looks like it has two colors. Carole used regular orange yarn with a strand of black sewing thread to achieve the "fade" look so it would match the hat in the picture.

      Have you watched an NFL football game recently? When they show players on the sidelines of outdoor games, you will notice that several teams have hats with a fade design from one color to another. Carole made the orange and black team color hat in the main page picture using Jason's "FADE TO GREY" design motif. You can make NFL-style hats with this design too! FADE TO GREY book and disk (for Brother machines or DAK) available, $15.00 +s/h.

      I've already sent a notice about our annual holiday event. If you can't attend in person on Saturday, December 5th, check for a message about special Customer Appreciation sales.

      Our store is hosting a Knit-A-Thon on Saturday, December 12th, 10-6. (This date was requested by several customers.) Bring your machine (or call ahead to use one of ours) and make items for the MITTEN TREE PROJECT. This is a great opportunity if you haven't made them before, we will provide the pattern and some yarn. There is no charge for this event. Lunch is not provided, bring a bag lunch if you wish.

      Check the events calendar in the ROCKING HORSE NEWS for lists of classes and events.

      Machine Embroidery Club, Sat. December 5, 10am

      Machine Knit Club, Sat. December 5, 1:30pm.

      Customer Appreciation Day: Sat. December 5, 2009 at our store.

      KNIT-A-THON for charity: Saturday, December 12th 10-6, bring a bag lunch.

      FIBER FRIENDS & Spinning Circle meet on the 3rd Tuesday of each month, 6-9pm, for knitting (hand or machine), crochet, spinning, fiber arts. Next: Tuesday, December 15, 6-9pm.

      WINTER KNIT-IN: Saturday February 21 (with optional extra day on Friday). Registrations are already coming in for this event. $25 registration includes classes, knitting machine assistance, breakfast and lunch on Saturday. Come join the fun!

      Sale prices for hand and machine knit or crochet yarns on 1 pound cones, sale prices good through December 18th:

      Estilo, $17.00 (regular $22.95)
      Bebe Tamm - Solids, $17.30 (reg. $19.00)
      Bebe Tamm - Prints, $18.00 (reg. $20.00)
      Micro-Tamm, $23.50 (reg. $26.00)
      Nordic, $16.95 (reg. $18.75)
      Perle, $9.50
      Rayito, $18.75 (reg. $20.50)
      Sport 2/7, $18.20 (reg. $20.00)
      Trenzi, $19.00 (reg. $21.00)

      Here's more info about Tamm yarns, regular prices listed (pound cones for hand or machine knitting):

      Can Cun - 8/26 medium weight, $22.95
      70% acrylic/30% nylon

      Diamante - 2/8 dress yarn, $22.95
      75%acrylic/25% nylon

      Estilo - 2/14 thin dress yarn, $22.95
      60% acrylic/40% nylon

      Rayito - 3/15 medium weight, $20.50
      73% acrylic/27% nylon

      3 ply Astracryl - 3/16 fingering weight, $17.00
      100% acrylic

      Trenzi - 3/16, $21.00
      90% acrylic/10% nylon

      Cristal - 2/12, $19.00
      68% acrylic/32% polyester

      Kitty - 2/14 brushed acrylic, $17.80

      Varsity - heathered look, $18.50
      82% acrylic/18% rayon

      Spirit - novelty, $17.75
      97% acrylic/3% cotton

      Sport 2/7 acrylic, $20.00

      Nordic - $18.75
      acrylic 4-ply for EON on standard gauge, or for Mid-Gauge machines

      Micro Tamm - $26.00
      Approx. 1,771 yards per cone, Great for sweaters and general knitting.
      It has a look of cotton but the soft feel of suede. 100% micro fiber acrylic

      Petit 2/30 - $17.50
      thin acrylic for 4-color jacquard knitting, Thread Lace, and Plating or double strands for double bed tuck

      *new* BEBE by TAMM
      100% Acrylic, 2,236 yards per pound cone
      Suggested knitting tension:
      8 - 9 on standard machines
      2 on mid-gauge machines
      7 for 2 strands on mid-gauge machines
      Washing instructions: Machine wash gentle cycle (cool water and mild soap) and dry (low heat).
      Comments: Sport weight machine knitting yarn. Whether double-up or single it produces a good soft texture for many types of garments. Inexpensive. Ideal for beginner and custom knitters.
      Stitch Gauges:
      standard (1 strand) 6.5 stitches X 9.5 rows (tension 9)
      mid-gauge (2 stands) 5 stitches X 7 rows (tension 7)

      Bebe Solids, $19.00
      Bebe Variegated, $20.00