September Seminar for Machine Knitting & Fiber Arts!

  • rockinghorsefarmminnesota
    Message 1 of 1 , Sep 2, 2009
      See Carol Foster, Pat Plett, Carole Wurst and others at this year's SEPTEMBER SEMINAR, Sept. 18-19, At Rocking Horse Farm's shops and meeting facility in Saint Cloud, Minnesota.

      Registration forms, class lists and lodging details are available online or by contacting our store... but here is a quick teaser of what will be happening this year:

      -----------------------

      The September Seminar "Think Green" theme reflects the current trend of conserving and re-using or utilizing natural fibers.

      In keeping with this theme, demonstrator Pat Plett from Andover, Kansas has submitted a Dust Mitt pattern for the Seminar Book. Everyone receives a copy of the Seminar Book and CD "Fiber World" as part of their registration. Pat's other classes are as follows:

      -Demonstration of Seminar Pattern: Cardigan with Horseshoe and Eyelet Cable.  Pat says, "We will go through the Seminar Pattern (included in the Seminar book all attendees receive), demonstrating 2x2 ribbing, setting up the needle arrangement for the cable, the sequence used in knitting the cable, and other topics as time permits."

      -Turn your Perfectly Seamless Socks into Knee Socks.  The Perfectly Seamless Sock is taken to new heights!

      -2-Color Double Bed Jacquard with Stripe Backing.  This is where knitting double bed jacquard begins.  Class notes and pattern will be distributed to class attendees.

      -2-Color Double Bed Jacquard with 1x1 Birdseye Backing.  The lili button will be engaged (Brother/Knitking).  We will also use the 1x1 needle pusher (Studio/Silver Reed) to manually select ribber needles.  Shaping when knitting birdseye fabric can be a challenge so we will make this topic an important one!  Class notes and pattern will be distributed to class attendees.

      -Fisherman's Rib, English Rib (Half Fisherman's Rib) and Swung English Rib.  This is a double bed technique with useful qualities that we will discuss throughout the demonstration.  Class notes and pattern will be distributed to class attendees.

      ----

      Shawn Dolan of Knit & Sew World will be at the Seminar to help people learn how to keep their knitting and sewing equipment clean and in good working order. Think Green by keeping your equipment in tip-top shape!

      Passap machine knitters will again have a special set of classes geared for their needs. This is a tradition we have continued since the first September Seminar in 1992. One of the Passap classes will be Pat Plett's Dust Mitt and other Passap classes will be taught by Joyce Hirning.

      Classes by Carol Foster will include:
      -Weaving trims and Textures: hat, "stepping out in fur," dress.
      -Kaleidescope Mittens and easy gloves
      -Hats, Hats and More Hats, including toppers for hats
      -Wild and Wooly Socks and More: tuck stitch, slip stitch, multi color, cables and lace, and "Flip Flop Socks."
      -Ribber Magic: casting on and doing different kinds of ribs.

      Carol Foster will also be doing an excellent session called "Specializing Sweaters." Through the methods of appliqué, various embroidery techniques (including by hand or with a machine), cords, lace and other embellishments will make your sweater more your own.

      We are excited to have Skip Grettum with us again to share her years of expertise. Her "Skip's Tips" and Beginner Basics class will help you if you are a very basic beginner new to machine knitting, or a seasoned expert who wants to refresh your memory!

      Sharon Rassier and Jan Ebner will present a classes on CSM machines both days during the Seminar this year. Bring any model of Round Sock machine in any condition and Sharon and Jan will be eager to help you get it working as well as possible.

      Look for the complete class list and schedule online or at the store. Classes by Carole Wurst, Jason Wurst, Barb Kuklok, (machine embroidery & sewing) Jerome Jensen (machine embroidery, digitizing & editing) and others will be listed there. And don't forget to come Thursday evening for a Potluck Picnic and optional Pre-Seminar classes.

      -----------------
      2009 SCHEDULE:

      Thursday evening will begin with the traditional potluck picnic, pre-seminar workshop and "tasting and talking." Mini-Sessions begin at 7:15pm.

      Friday and Saturday are full days (9-5) of classes by nationally-acclaimed instructors on machine knitting, handknitting, machine embroidery & sewing, garment construction, color theory, felting, and other fiber arts.

      A Banquet & Fiber Art Style Show will be held Friday evening.

      Thursday, September 17, 2009

      5:30 pm (optional) potluck picnic, bring dish to share

      7:00-9:00 registration, meet instructors, shopping

      7:15-8:15 Pre-Seminar sessions

      Friday, September 18, 2009

      8:00 am registration, continental breakfast

      9:00 Morning Assembly,

      instructor introductions

      10:00-11:00 Class A1 (choose from the provided list)

      11:00-11:15 break, shopping

      11:15-12:15 Class A2

      12:15 Luncheon Buffet, Afternoon Assembly, shopping

      2:00-3:00 Class A3

      3:00-3:15 break, shopping

      3:15-4:15 Class A4

      4:15 break

      5:30 hors d'ouvres

      6:30 banquet & style show, live piano music

      Saturday, September 19, 2009

      8:00 am registration, continental breakfast

      9:00 Morning Assembly

      10:00-11:00 Class B1 (choose from the provided list)

      11:00-11:15 break, shopping

      11:15-12:15 Class B2

      12:15 Luncheon Buffet, Afternoon Assembly, "THINK GREEN" contest items, shopping

      2:00-3:00 Class B3

      3:00-3:15 break, shopping

      3:15-4:15 Class B4

      4:15 shopping, on your way home

      ~ CONTEST! ~

      Our contest for 2009 uses the theme "THINK GREEN." To participate, bring an item that incorporates a conservation or re-use theme... knit, embroidered, sewn, felted, or.... use your imagination!

      ---------------------------------------REGISTRATION----------------------------

      Registration:
      Make checks payable to CAROLE WURST, and mail to:
      Rocking Horse Farm, 25636 County Road 74, Saint Cloud, Minnesota 56301-9293

      ____Thursday evening Potluck, 6pm-7pm; Registration, Early Shopping & Pre-Seminar class sessions 7-9pm: $10

      ____ Friday classes 9-5 & luncheon buffet: Registration & Continental Breakfast begins at 8:30am: $45 ($50 at the door)

      ____ Friday evening banquet, entertainment, & Knitwear Style Show: Hor's D'oeuvres 5:30-6:30pm, Banquet begins at 6:30pm: $25 (not available at the door)

      ____ Saturday classes 9-5 & luncheon buffet: Registration & Continental Breakfast begins at 8:30am: $45 ($50 at the door)

      ____entire seminar package: $99 ($109 at the door)

      Seminar package includes the Seminar Book and/or CD, our newest edition of FIBER WORLD: patterns, thoughts & ideas for machine knitters, plus our 2009-2010 store catalog; $25.00 value

      Please be sure to list any special diet or other needs you may have. We will do our best to accommodate you.

      Your canceled check is your confirmation. Refunds for cancellation (half amount only) will be given in the form of STORE CREDIT until 10 days prior to the event, IF a replacement registrant can be found. This is done to be fair to all registrants and instructors.