chocolate brown knits, socks, handknit slippers from a 1940's vintage pattern...

    Message 1 of 1 , Feb 17, 2009
      Hi everybody, just a quick note to let you know what we are up to at
      Rocking Horse Farm.

      Last weekend Carole taught handknitting to beginners at the 2009 KNIT
      OUT and CROCHET held at the Mall of America. Several members of our
      clubs also attended. This is the 3rd year the national event has been
      at the current location, and it's gotten larger every year. There
      were tons of free handouts, booths for knitting charities and guilds,
      Textile Center exhibit, contests and style shows. Next year's event
      is already being planned!

      I took some pictures at our Silver Tea and Knitwear Show a few weeks
      ago, but I haven't been able to upload them yet... I am getting
      accustomed to a new camera phone and I haven't been able to transfer
      the pictures from the phone to the storage card yet. But when I
      master that skill, I will post them. :) There were a lot of nice
      examples of items knit in shades of Chocolate and Brown, including
      some very clever pattern adaptations. One of the guests knit an
      elegant scarf the morning of the event! We may ask her if she is
      willing to share her pattern idea for the next ROCKING HORSE NEWS.

      In a few days we host the WINTER KNIT-IN. Several people are coming
      to spend part of Friday and all of Saturday knitting at Rocking Horse
      Farm. If you weren't able to register in time for this event, keep
      our KNITTING CAMP in mind: June 4-6, 2009.

      There is a lot of interest in sock patterns for the standard gauge
      knitting machine. Don't forget about Carole's pattern called "THE
      MULTI-PURPOSE SOCK PATTERN." It was printed in a September Seminar
      book as well as one of the Purls of Joy Seminar books, or we have it
      available as a separate leaflet for $3.00 +s/h. Yarns suggested
      include:

      Brown Sheep Cotton Fleece (Fine Weight), $20.40/half pound cone

      Trekking XXL (wool/nylon) $16.95/2.5 ounce skein

      Trekking Natura (wool/bamboo) $19.85/2.5 ounce skein

      Step with Aloe (wool/nylon/aloe) $20.80/2.5 ounce skein

      Ditto (wool/nylon) variegated for flecks and stripes, $7.00/50 gram
      skein

      FREE HAND KNIT SLIPPER PATTERN

      This pattern comes highly recommended by persons knitting for
      charity. They recommend eliminating the ridge, if desired. The
      pattern is based on something from an old book from the 1940's.

      http://www.bevscountrycottage.com/maggieslippers.html