what's new for 2009

    Message 1 of 1 , Jan 2, 2009
      Hi folks, we have a lot of news and some useful tips to share.

      Index for this message:
      5. MACHINE KNIT HATS, CAROLE'S CAP CLINIC
      6. EMBROIDERY MACHINE ALPHABET PATTERNS

      ------------------------
      1. NEW PICTURE ON HOMEPAGE OF SLIPPERS

      Check out the huge avalanche of handknit slippers being shipped out
      of Rocking Horse Farm right before the holidays! We covered the round
      table at the store several times with piles this size.
      Also, there is a new photo album of some of the Mitten Trees in
      the "photos" section of this group. Click on the links to find the
      photo album called "2008 December Charity Projects."

      ------------------------
      2. ST. DISTAFF'S DAY: A SPINNING & FIBER ARTS TRADITION FROM ENGLAND

      On January 7th, artisans in England and the British Colonies have
      celebrated "St. Distaff's Day" for several centuries. This is
      traditionally the first day after the holiday season when the artisan
      spinners, weavers, and fiber workers would get back to work.

      The tradition has some interesting stories behind it... Distaff was
      not a real person, but a distaff is a tool used in part of the
      spinning process:

      "There are images from as far back as the Ancient Egyptians showing
      how the distaff was used to hang the flax and the spindle to effect
      the twisting."

      St. Distaff's Day became an important day on the calendar for
      spinners in the middle ages and is still marked today by spinning and
      fiber guilds in the British Commonwealth. But today's St. Distaff Day
      activities include parties, potluck lunches, and fun.

      We are hoping to start a tradition at ROCKING HORSE FARM by hosting a
      free St. Distaff's Day event on Wednesday, January 7th from 1-6pm.
      The day will include prizes, yarn sale, hands-on needle felting,
      knitting, spinning, and other activities, three different methods of
      rugmaking, and more.

      This will be an opportunity to try something new. If you have always
      wanted to try your hand at something new, this is your chance!

      We have some of the new gadgets from Clover to try, including Pom Pom
      makers and felting tools.

      You can also bring your knitting or spinning and spend the day with
      other enthusiasts.

      If you aren't able to attend Rocking Horse Farm's event on January
      7th, we encourage you to sponsor your own St. Distaff's Day event and
      tell us about it.

      ------------------------
      3. ROCKING HORSE FARM EVENTS IN 2009

      As usual, we have Embroidery Club and Machine Knit Club on the first
      Saturday of every month. These are free and there are often new faces
      at club, so you will feel welcome.

      Embroidery Club, Sat. January 3, 10am-noon

      Machine Knit Club, Sat. January 3, 1:30-4:00. Demonstration: Kayla's
      Sheer Scarf on the standard machine, with metallic thread

      CSM ROUND SOCK MACHINE KNITTERS from the Upper Midwest will meet at
      Rocking Horse Farm on the 3rd Saturday of January, May, and October
      in 2009. (Summer is off for people to attend the national conference
      June 8-11.) The next gathering is Saturday, January 17, 9:30-6:00
      (approx), free, potluck lunch.

      FIBER FRIENDS meet on the 3rd Tuesday of each month, 6-9pm, for
      knitting (hand or machine), crochet, spinning, fiber arts.

      St. Distaff's Day ~ Wednesday, January 7, 2009 – 1:00-6:00pm
      Silver Tea & Knit Show ~ Saturday, February 7, 2009 – 1:30pm
      Winter Knit-In ~ Saturday, February 21, 2009
      Knitting "Camp" ~ June 4-6, 2009
      Sewing & Embroidery Machine "Camp" ~ July 16-18, 2009
      SEPTEMBER SEMINAR ~ September 17-19, 2009

      Features in this issue include hat patterns, Carole's Favorite Rib
      Cast On, Kayla's Sheer Scarf, an article about KNIT OUT 2009,
      charitable crafting ideas, and lots more.

      The special offer for current paid subscribers is a "Buy One, Get One
      Half Off" deal on a big variety of pattern books.

      ------------------------
      5. MACHINE KNIT HATS, CAROLE'S CAP CLINIC

      The Winter 2009 issue of the ROCKING HORSE NEWS is a special issue
      called CAROLE'S WINTER CAP CLINIC and has patterns for several
      machine knit hats, a review of hat styles for young and old including
      teenagers who ski or snowboard, ways to accessorize hats, and more.

      There is also a brand new tuck hat pattern made on the Passap
      knitting machine... and those of you who use Passap's know that a new
      pattern is a rare thing!

      6. EMBROIDERY MACHINE ALPHABET PATTERNS

      The "Machine Embroidery Corner" in this issue describes the new
      alphabet being offered by The Country Needle, as well as some other
      fun winter designs to embroider.

      Thanks for reading, we appreciate your interest in Fiber Arts news!

      Jason at Rocking Horse Farm