September knitting & stitching news

    Message 1 of 1 , Aug 31, 2007
      Hello friends, it's almost time for fall. We are busy getting ready
      for autumn and winter knitting and stitching, harvesting cucumbers in
      the garden, and preparing for some upcoming events.

      There is still time to register for the SEPTEMBER SEMINAR for machine
      knitting & Fiber Arts, September 6-8. I have posted updated class
      lists, schedules and info on the website and in the "files" section
      of this Yahoo Group. I plan to send a separate email with more
      details.

      We received a nice message from a reader in Indiana who said she
      is "too far away to attend your classes or seminars, but just wanted
      to say I hope you are hi and dry up there and the shop is safe." It's
      always nice to hear from readers! We thank everyone for thinking
      about us during the recent Minnesota storms and events. We didn't
      suffer any damage but we know of several readers who did. Let's all
      keep them and anyone else working through hardships in our thoughts.

      I responded to the writer from Indiana and said that I appreciated
      her message, and I will also use it as a reminder that there are many
      readers that live a distance from our store. I will continue to do my
      best to include useful information or hints when I send announcements
      so people don't have to weed through a lot of messages pertaining to
      local events. I know we have blog readers from all over the world, so
      we want to make our messages worthwhile.

      Keeping that in mind, here are some nice hints I ran across recently:

      -when seaming knits hold the edges together with brightly colored
      plastic toothpicks.... they show clearly and slip easily in and out
      between the stitches

      -kinks will stay out of thread if you draw it through a sheet of
      fabric softener

      -an old newspaper clipping has this suggestion for patching holes in
      knitted clothing: place a patch of mosquito netting or nylon net in
      the underside to make the patch more durable

      UPCOMING EVENTS:

      Embroidery Club, Saturday Sept. 1, 10am (free, public invited)

      Machine Knitting Club, Saturday Sept. 1, 1:30pm (free, public
      invited) demonstration: methods of binding off. Bring show & tell.

      SEPTEMBER SEMINAR, Thursday Sept. 6: potluck picnic begins at 6pm,
      shopping and pre-registration at 7pm, Mini-Sessions (make-it & take-
      it bracelet class, Alpaca Fiber, and more) at 7:15pm.

      SEPTEMBER SEMINAR, Friday Sept. 7: continental breakfast and
      registration begin at 8:30am, classes 9am-4pm. Banquet and Style
      Show, 6:30pm.

      SEPTEMBER SEMINAR, Friday Sept. 8: continental breakfast and
      registration begin at 8:30am, classes 9am-4pm.

      Fiber Friends knitting/spinning/crochet/etc., Sept. 18, 6-9pm. (free,
      public invited)

      CSM Antique Round Sock Knitting Machine gathering, Saturday October
      20, 10-6.

      Felting Class: hands-on needle felting workshop, Sat. October 27th,
      1:30pm. Pre-registration required.

      I will be sending a separate message with more details about the
      September Seminar, including information about how to purchase class
      materials or kits for those unable to attend. Kits and pattern books
      will be available at the Seminar for sewing projects, felting items,
      machine knitting patterns, and a knit Smokering (pictured on the
      homepage of this Yahoo Group/Knitting Blog).