antique Round Sock Knitting Machine class

    Message 1 of 1 , Jan 19, 2007
      Hello group, just a quick reminder about the big day we have planned
      tomorrow. Several times a year we host a gathering of Round Sock
      Knitting Machine owners and enthusiasts for a day of knitting and
      fellowship. These are the machines manufactured in North America in
      the late 1800's and early 1900's (there are pictures in the "PHOTOS"
      section of this yahoo group). Deb & Pete Oswald began hosting these
      gatherings several years ago at our store, and since then we've had
      attendees from several states and Canada.

      Most of the Round Sock Machine owners will bring their machines so
      they can ask Pete for repair/cleaning/maintenance help, or (if they
      are past that point) will knit socks or other projects. Deb Oswald
      teaches techniques and usually has a class prepared for a sock or
      other project. The machines make more than socks, of course, and it's
      fun to see what other types of creations can be made. One of the
      projects Deb taught was a child's toy doll that looked like something
      from an old fashioned homestead playroom.

      If you are in the area and interested in attending, the day is free
      and open to the public. We begin when the store opens at 10am and
      continue until about 4pm, although the store is open until 6pm and
      some people chose to stay until then. Lunch is "potluck" if people
      wish to eat at the site.

      Remember to look in the "PHOTOS" section of this yahoo group to see
      pictures of the machines and pictures of the machine in history,
      including views of World War I Red Cross nurses teaching wounded
      soldiers to use the machines.