51charitable knitting and sewing for this holiday season

    Nov 26, 2005
      Hi, friends. When you are knitting and sewing, don't forget to make an
      extra item or two for charitable giving. There are many opportunities
      to donate items this year, including our own Mitten Tree project (as
      pictured on the front page of the Yahoo Group). Over the next few days
      I will be sending some info about project ideas.

      Today I am highlighting our Operation Toasty Toes project. We have one
      of the earliest-formed groups of this project. Since 2001, we have
      sent more than a thousand pairs of slippers to troops stationed
      overseas. Read more about it at our website, on this page:

      In 2001 TV personality Jason Davis came to Rocking Horse Farm and
      taped a live segment that has been shown on stations across the
      country. Here is a link to the segment details:

      http://www.kstp.com/article/stories/s12202.html

      A free pattern is available here:

      http://www.house.gov/latourette/issues_make_toasty_toes.htm

      And finally, this page has information about the origins of the
      project. It began in Ohio, in the jurisdiction of the senator that
      hosts this page:

      http://www.house.gov/latourette/issues_toasty_toes.htm

      In the past few weels we have received shipment of several parcels
      containing slippers to be sent. They will be used to decorate our
      store "mitten trees" for a few weeks and then passed along to the
      local coordinator to be shipped in the next shipment.

      You can participate by donating money for postage, yarn, or completed
      slippers. They can be hand knit, crochet, or machine knit.

      Let's make it a happy season for everyone by continuing to be
      charitable!