326June Knitting & Fiber News

  • rockinghorsefarmminnesota
    Jun 5, 2014

      1) SOCK BLANK DYE RESULTS

      2) NEW YOUTUBE VIDEOS ON OUR CHANNEL

      3) YARN SALE

      4) TWISTED FRINGE

      5) KNITTING MACHINE CAMP

      6) MACHINE KNITTING HINT: RIBBER WEIGHTS

      7) UPCOMING EVENTS AT ROCKING HORSE FARM

      8) PLAN A TRIP TO OUR STORE

      1) SOCK BLANK DYE RESULTS

      Another successful Sock Blank Dye Session was held on May 24th. We dyed with Wilton Food Paste, using sock blanks knit from Universal Yarn Company's "Ready To Dye" wool/nylon sock blend and wool/angora/nylon sock blend.

      Pics here: https://www.facebook.com/media/set/?set=a.10152058416418344.1073741856.229565593343&type=1

      We have extra skeins of Ready to Dye available for sale, all in sock weight: wool/nylon, wool/bamboo/nylon, wool/silk/nylon, and wool/angora/nylon. Prices range from $8/skein to $15/skein.

      ------

      2) NEW YOUTUBE VIDEOS ON OUR CHANNEL: SPINNING, CARDING, WASHING WOOL SWEATERS, AND MORE

      We've made some new additions to our channel, including a Playlist called "Products available at Rocking Horse Farm." I've added a whole bunch of fun videos showing some of the neat Fiber Art equipment and notions we sell. The 2 newest videos on this Playlist come from Ashford, showing the operation of the Drum Carder and some tips on using the Ashford Blending Board. If you click on this link, all the videos in the playlist will play: Products available at Rocking Horse Farm - YouTube

      And don't forget about Carole's latest videos:

      Round Baby Blanket on Bulky Machine: Round Baby Blanket on the Knitting Machine by Carole Wurst

      Raised Diagonal Half-Cable Trim for Round Baby Blanket: Machine Knitting Experiences: Raised Diagonal Half-Cable Trim (part 1) by Carole Wurst

      Don't forget to click "like" and subscribe to our channel!

      ------

      3) YARN SALE

      There aren't any Tamm Yarns on sale from the company right now, but we are still offering TAMM ESTILO for the sale price of $17.00 (most colors available).

      Check out the special subscriber offer on LUCCI YARNS shown on page 3 of Machine Knitting Inspiration:

      Starter Pack of LUCCI cone yarns: Cotton Tape, Hemp, and Wool/Ray - $95 +s/h

      Starter Pack of LUCCI skein yarns: Bamboo, Cozy, Cotton Tape, and Metallic Nubs - $29 +s/h

      Call 320-252-2996 during store hours (Tues-Sat 10-6 central time) to place a credit card order. We also accept Paypal.

      We have a new selection of Designer 727 on 1 pound cones for sale in the store, stop by and check it out.

      ------

      4) TWISTED FRINGE

      Universal Yarns is one of our favorite yarn companies, and a popular brand with our customers. They have just posted a brand new Youtube video showing a very simple Twisted Fringe: Twisted Fringe

      ------

      5) KNITTING MACHINE CAMP

      We have two sessions this year:

      Session I: June 12-14 (registration full)

      Session II: July 17-19 (some spaces still available)

      Knitting Machine Camp is a relaxing event where you can leave your cares behind and spend time with your machine. Attendees come from near and far, camping behind the store or staying at one of the nearby hotels. Some diehards keep knitting until the wee hours of the morning.

      Some attendees knit on their own, others do the Knit-a-long projects. This year's projects include a short sleeve summer top, double jacquard scarf, woven bag, ribbed-look poncho.

      Check out the "files" section of this Yahoo Group for registration forms, list of things to bring, and the tentative schedule.

      ------

      6) MACHINE KNITTING HINT: RIBBER WEIGHTS

      Ribber weights aren't only good for their intended purpose... when knitting multiple yarns on the main bed set one of your ribber weights on a chair next to you and place your secondary yarn in the hook. No need to keep cutting the yarn while you knit, just use the weight to hold it safely out of the way of the carriage. This works great when doing stripes, or multi color Intarsia or when knitting long panels of dishcloths separated by sections of waste yarn. Try it!

      ------

      7) UPCOMING CLASSES and EVENTS at ROCKING HORSE FARM:

      Sat. June 7: Knit Club, 1:30. (free, all invited) Demo: Scarf made with Garter Bar. Bring show-and-tell and a snack to share (optional)

      Wed-Sat June 11-14: we expect drop-in visitors who are attending a Quilting convention at the local University. Special sale on yarns, spinning wheel supplies, carders, felting supplies.

      KNITTING MACHINE CAMP, SESSION I: Thursday-Saturday June 12-14

      Sit-and-knit with others! Registration form can be found in Machine Knitting Inspiration, or send an email request for pdf form.   ***THIS SESSION IS FULL, we are taking names for the waiting list***

      Tues. June 17: Knitting Machine Cleaning session, 1:30. Free demo/consultation

      Thurs. June 19: Picot-Edge Sock on the CSM class, 1:30. Free.

      Sat. June 21: Basic Beginner Hat, Dishcloth and Intro to Socks on standard machine, 1-4. $25 fee.

      Wed. June 25: Operation Toasty Toes Slippers, 1:30. Free demo.

      Sat. July 5: Knit Club, 1:30. (free, all invited) Demo: TBA. Bring show-and-tell and a snack to share

      KNITTING MACHINE CAMP, SESSION II: Thursday-Saturday July 17-19

      Repeated program from Session I.

      SEPTEMBER SEMINAR: Friday-Saturday Sept. 19-20.

      CSM SOCK MACHINE GATHERING: Saturday October 18, 10-6.

      ------

      8) PLAN A TRIP TO OUR STORE

      Keep Rocking Horse Farm in your summer travel plans! We have plenty of space for large vehicles or motor homes to park, you can even stay overnight (contact us for info). We can suggest things for spouses to do while you visit, like local museums or attractions. We can also recommend restaurants or lodging for guests who visit from long distances.

      If you have a group that would like to schedule a visit or tour, feel free to contact our store. We love hosting groups! We can plan a program with some hands-on activities like needle felting, or just let you roam around our complex looking at your own pace.