322May knitting & fiber news from Rocking Horse Farm

  • rockinghorsefarmminnesota
    Apr 30, 2014

      Hello friends, happy Spring! Hope everyone is looking forward to spring flowers. Here is an excellent article about dyeing with Marigolds, consider this when planning your spring planting!

      http://www.weavingtoday.com/blogs/weaving-today/archive/2014/04/25/the-magic-of-marigolds.aspx?a=spe140428&mid=469501&rid=19127196

      1) STORE CLOSED FOR SEMINAR

      2) NEW YOUTUBE VIDEOS, ROUND BABY BLANKET & TRIM

      3) NEW PATTERNS

      4) MACHINE KNITTING INSPIRATION

      5) YARNOVER

      6) MACHINE KNITTING HINT: DOUBLE JACQUARD WITH BIRDSEYE BACKING

      7) UPCOMING EVENTS AT ROCKING HORSE FARM

      8) PLAN A TRIP TO OUR STORE

      1) STORE CLOSED FOR SEMINAR

      We will be open by appointment only this week on Friday due to the Purls of Joy Seminar. The Seminar is sponsored by the Upper Midwest Knitting Machine Dealer Club, of which Carole is currently president.  Also, all orders this week will be held for shipping until Monday, May 5.

      We will still have regular monthly Knit Club on Saturday May 3, despite the Seminar.

      ------

      2) NEW YOUTUBE VIDEOS, ROUND BABY BLANKET & TRIM

      Just uploaded in time for Carole's class at this weekend's Seminar:

      Round Baby Blanket on Bulky Machine: http://youtu.be/pxt-1a7YUJs

      Raised Diagonal Half-Cable Trim for Round Baby Blanket: http://youtu.be/Q0h6viuZkBM

      Don't forget to click "like" and subscribe to our channel!

      ------

      3) NEW PATTERNS

      We have been feverishly working on some new patterns to be ready for Purls of Joy. They will be announced in the Spring issue of MACHINE KNITTING INSPIRATION.

      Here is a teaser: the 2014 Pantone color of the year is RADIANT ORCHID. Our new patterns incorporate this theme, both in color and with the orchid flower as a motif.

      ------

      4) MACHINE KNITTING INSPIRATION

      The spring issue will be available sometime in May. This issue used to come out in April, but we've been moving all the issues ahead a month since last year.

      A sharp-eyed reader in Idaho noticed a mistake on the COZY CABLES FINGERLESS GLOVES pattern in the previous issue. The cast-on instructions say to end on R12, but when you look at the chart it shows the correct ending needle of R21.  Please change your copy to reflect R21, as shown on the chart.

      ------

      5) YARNOVER

      Each year the Minnesota Knitters Guild hosts a large event for handknitters called Yarnover. The day includes classes, vendor sales, fellowship, and a banquet with guest speaker.

       For the past 5 years Rocking Horse Farm has been demonstrating knitting machines at this event. Check out some of our pictures, here on our Facebook page:

      https://www.facebook.com/media/set/?set=a.10152013286818344.1073741852.229565593343&type=1

      We update our Facebook page several times a week, with pictures of our latest projects, new yarn inventory, event details, and photos of the kitty who likes to nap in the outside entryway of our store.

      Here is a teaser pic: (who doesn't like a cat picture on the internet?)

      https://scontent-a-ord.xx.fbcdn.net/hphotos-prn2/t1.0-9/s403x403/1554466_10152003975688344_913580260433571473_n.jpg

      ------

      6) MACHINE KNITTING HINT: DOUBLE JACQUARD WITH BIRDSEYE BACKING

      Here is something we've been working on for one of our new Spring patterns... when doing Double Jacquard on a Brother or KnitKing electronic machine, you must program the machine to do 1 stitch/1 row (and program the MC feature) to achieve a Birdseye back to a Double Jacquard piece. If using a machine with Stitch World patterns, such as Brother KH930-965i, you can use built-in pattern #537 to achieve this. If using a machine with Stitch World III, such as Brother KH970 or KnitKing Compuknit V-Star, you can use built-in pattern #524.

      ------

      7) UPCOMING CLASSES and EVENTS at ROCKING HORSE FARM:

      Fri. May 2: store open by appointment only, due to Purls of Joy seminar. Carole demonstrates full time during the entire seminar. Registration details are in the "files" section of this Yahoo Group.

      Sat. May 3: Knit Club, 1:30. (free, all invited) Demo: Raised Diagonal Half-Cable Trim on the Knitting Machine. Bring show-and-tell and a snack to share (optional)

      Fri-Sat. May 10-11: We may have a vendor space at the annual Mother's Day Weekend fiber event, this year called "Llama Magic & Fiber Friends," in Lake Elmo, MN.

      Sat. May 17: say hello to Carole at SHEPHERDS HARVEST in Lake Elmo, MN. She will have a vendor booth in Building D. (The store will still be open regular hours, 10-6.)

      Sun. May 18: Carole and friends demonstrate knitting machines at SHEPHERDS HARVEST in Lake Elmo, MN. Building D.

      Sat. May 24: Sock Dye Class, 1:30-3:30pm. Cost: $25. Participants will go home with completed sock blank, enough yarn to make a matching pair of socks. Dyes used are a normal kitchen product and non-toxic (but colorfast).

      Sat. June 7: Knit Club, 1:30. (free, all invited) Demo: TBA. Bring show-and-tell and a snack to share (optional)

      KNITTING MACHINE CAMP, SESSION I: Thursday-Saturday June 14-16

      Sit-and-knit with others! Registration form can be found in Machine Knitting Inspiration, or send an email request for pdf form.   ***THIS SESSION IS ALMOST FULL***

      KNITTING MACHINE CAMP, SESSION II: Thursday-Saturday July 17-19

      Repeated program from Session I.

      SEPTEMBER SEMINAR: Friday-Saturday Sept. 19-20.

      CSM SOCK MACHINE GATHERING: Saturday October 18, 10-6.

      ------

      8) PLAN A TRIP TO OUR STORE

      Keep Rocking Horse Farm in your summer travel plans! We have plenty of space for large vehicles or motor homes to park, you can even stay overnight (contact us for info). We can suggest things for spouses to do while you visit, like local museums or attractions. We can also recommend restaurants or lodging for guests who visit from long distances.

      If you have a group that would like to schedule a visit or tour, feel free to contact our store. We love hosting groups! We can plan a program with some hands-on activities like needle felting, or just let you roam around our complex looking at your own pace.