312September knitting & fiber art news

  • rockinghorsefarmminnesota
    Sep 7, 2013

      1) HANDY HINT
      2) LOOKING FOR PERSON TO KNIT SOCKS FOR A STORE
      3) UPCOMING YARN & EQUIPMENT SALE

      4) SEPTEMBER SEMINAR
      5) CONTEST
      6) MARTHA STEWART CONTEST

      7) UPCOMING EVENTS AT ROCKING HORSE FARM

      8) CAROLE'S SEMINAR TEACHING SCHEDULE

      9) SEMINARS IN YOUR AREA

      -----------

      1) HANDY HINT

      Have you ever tried knitting on a used machine or one that has been in storage for awhile, and dropped stitches even after oiling, cleaning and checking the sponge bar?

      Try this nifty trick to make sure all the latches open easily. Using a normal piece of paper, try to open and close the latches with little effort. You will soon discover if any are rusted or sticky.

      See a picture here:

      https://sphotos-b-ord.xx.fbcdn.net/hphotos-ash4/q71/s720x720/998794_10151566508613344_6382170_n.jpg

      -----------

      2) LOOKING FOR A PERSON TO KNIT SOCKS FOR A STORE

      Received this email:

      “Hello, I'd like to sell handmade knit socks (made on a circular sock machine, etc) in my knitting store. I was wondering if you or anyone you know might be interested in being a producer. Thanks!”

      Contact us and we will pass along your name to the emailer.

      -----------

      3) UPCOMING YARN & EQUIPMENT SALE

      This month our special sales will happen during and after September Seminar. Items include pre-owned knitting machines, ribbers, and ASHFORD spinning wheels. If you can't attend the Seminar this year, think about coming next year. The Saturday Sale is worth the trip in itself.

      I've also just posted a photo album showing the Acrylic 2/24 available on cones, at the request of a customer. All 2/24 is $9.99/pound except white and black.

      See all the colors on our Facebook page, here:

      https://www.facebook.com/media/set/?set=a.10151582401358344.1073741833.229565593343&type=1

      -----------

      4) SEPTEMBER SEMINAR

      There is still time to register. We will accept phone registrations until the day before the seminar.

      Here is how the class list is shaping up:

      Friday Sept. 20 classes:

      Pat Plett: Seamless Socks, Pockets in Single & Double Bed, Quilting (Passap), DesignaKnit Garment Shaping (bring laptop).
      Carole Wurst: G Carriage Workshop, Tuck Stitch Cowl.
      J. Wurst: Rust Dyeing (hands-on), Shibori Scarf, Yarn Burn Test.
      Joyce Hirning: Drop Stitch Lace, Carpet Stitch, Fisherman's Rib Variations, Fringe with Racking & Twisted Fringe
      other demonstrators: Basic Beginner hands-on, Castons and Bindoffs, Knitting on the LK150, Skirt Trim/Sweater Hem, Is It Ribbing or Is It Lace, Styles and Fitting for the Larger Gal.

      On Friday at 6pm we will have a ***Caviar Reception and Style Show***
      Rocking Horse Farm will provide caviar and cheese, the rest of the Friday night meal is potluck.

      Saturday Sept. 21 classes:

      Pat Plett: Seamless Socks, Shortrow Intarsia, Cables, 4-Color Birdseye Jacquard.
      Carole Wurst: Invisible Seams, Blocking, Professional Finishing, Playing with Yarn.
      J. Wurst: Bleach Painting, Personalizing Your Knits, DesignaKnit Stitch Designer (bring laptop).
      Joyce Hirning: Drop Stitch Lace, Carpet Stitch, Fisherman's Rib Variations, Fringe with Racking & Twisted Fringe, Win Creation Software, Passap U100 Fabric, Crochet Edging.
      Other demonstrators: Basic Beginner hands-on, Pockets and Collars, Updating Vintage Patterns for Today's Fit, Skirt Trim/Sweater Hem, Is It Ribbing or Is It Lace.

      On Saturday we will have a presentation by Jewelry artist Catherine Tetrault who will help you accessorize your knits. Her website is here: http://www.ctetraultjewelry.com/ She will have jewelry on display and for sale.

      -----------

      5) CONTEST “EVERYTHING OLD IS NEW AGAIN”

      Don't forget to submit something for the contest. It is open to anyone whether they attend September Seminar or not. Each person can submit up to 5 items, one in each category. Submissions will be accepted until Sept. 20th.

      Full details and a list of categories were posted as a separate message, or email us for the info.

      Need ideas?

      How about taking last year's sweater and knitting a new collar or pocket...

      Make a cotton dishcloth on an old 1950's Brother Profile you found at a garage market...

      Knit a scarf based on a pattern from Great Grandma's old Workbasket magazine...

      Sketch out a picture on graph paper of an antique coffee pot that could be knit as a 2 color design...

      Take some lace that looks old-fashioned and trace it out on graph paper to turn it into a 2 color design...

      -----------

      6) MARTHA STEWART CONTEST

      Received this message from one of our customers who lives in Florida:

      “I am very excited to share that our business, Babybonbons was just nominated for the Martha Stewart American Made Audience awards . I would love your votes and support. This is the voting link:
      http://www.marthastewart.com/americanmade/nominee/82953 It is a huge opportunity for my small handmade vintage lace children's clothing company as the winner will be featured in Martha's LIVING magazine.”

      -----------

      7) UPCOMING EVENTS AT ROCKING HORSE FARM

      Knit Club, first Saturday of each month (2nd Sat. in Oct, Nov, Dec)

      1:30pm (free, all invited)

      Includes: Demonstration, Yarn Sale, Snacks, Fellowship, & Show and Tell

      Next Knit Club: Saturday, September 7th

      Fiber Friends, 6-9pm (free, all invited) knit/crochet/spin/felt/etc. on the 3rd Tuesday of each month. Bring a project to work on.

      Next Fiber Friends: call us for the date

      Oct. 19 (Saturday) – Store may be closed part of the day for family event

      Oct. 26 (Saturday) - CSM Sock Knitting Machine Gathering, free, 10-6

      Other classes during the month are listed in the Rocking Horse News. We host several monthly clubs and classes, and other annual events. Check the “files” section of this Yahoo Group for registration forms.

      -----------

      8) CAROLE'S SEMINAR SCHEDULE

      After September Seminar is over, Carole and Fred will be hitting the road to appear at Knitting Machine Seminars in several states. She will be teaching at the following:

      Sept. 26-27, Grand Rapids Area Machine Knitting Seminar, Grand Rapids MICHIGAN

      Oct. 5, Valley Machine Knitters Seminar, Grand Forks NORTH DAKOTA

      Oct. 12-13, Minnesota Weavers Guild Federation Weekend, Alexandria MINNESOTA

      Oct. 19, Cambridge Fiber Fair, Cambridge MN

      Nov. 2, Fine Arts & Craft Fair, Saint John's University

      9) SEMINARS IN YOUR AREA

      Sandee Cherry has a webpage listing seminars all over North America. Check it out here:

      http://www.sandeeskwikknit.com/seminar.html

      Carole is teaching at several of the seminars on Sandee's list, be sure to say hello!

      We have a reader in Baltimore, MARYLAND who would love to attend a seminar or knitting machine event in her area. Can anyone else offer a suggestion? Please write us at rhfarm@... and we will contact her.

      More seminars:

      There are seminars in MINNESOTA, NORTH CAROLINA and CALIFORNIA Sept. 20-21.

      There are seminars in MICHIGAN and NEW YORK Sept. 26-27.

      There is a seminar in NORTH DAKOTA - October 5.