303March knitting & fiber news - spring into knitting!

    Feb 28, 2013
      1) RETRO NEEDLEWORK BLOG
      2) YARN SALE
      3) SILVER TEA & KNIT SHOW
      4) EQUIPMENT SALE
      5) KNITTING HINT
      6) SEMINARS IN YOUR AREA
      7) UPCOMING EVENTS AT ROCKING HORSE FARM
      8) NEWSLETTER PATTERNS
      9) WANTED: PRODUCTION KNITTERS

      -----------

      1) FUN LINK: RETRO NEEDLEWORK BLOG

      ~ I've shared this link before, and I probably will again. It's one of my favorites. ~

      You knew it was bound to happen. Some young hipster found a stash of old Workbasket and other needlework magazines from the 1960's and 1970's and thought it would be funny and cute to post them on the internet. Well, it has happened. And admittedly it is fun to look at. It is called NEEDLEWORK A GO-GO.

      http://my-retrospace.blogspot.com/search/label/needlework%20a%20go%20go

      (Warning - I noticed that some comments under the blog posts may have a bit of unsavory language.)

      -----------

      2) YARN SALE

      KAFFE FASSETT SOCK YARN by Regia is now on sale. Kaffe Fassett is a world-famous handknitter, quilter, and textile designer. Each 125m/50g Ball - $7.95 Handknitting Needles: 3 - 4, 22 sts x 30 rows. Also works well on knitting machine or CSM (sock machine).

      TAMM YARN SALE for MARCH

      Tamm Can Cun $21.95

      Tamm Cristal $18.55

      Tamm Nordic $18.20

      Tamm Sport 2/7 $19.45

      Tamm Estilo $17.00

      TAMM CAN CUN is a Basket-weave medium weight yarn with excellent wear and washability. Suited for sweaters and children's clothes. 8/26 weight, 70% acrylic - 30% nylon. 1,638 yards on 1 pound cone, 30 colors (regular price $23.95) sale price $21.95
      color chart here:
      http://www.knitknackshop.com/Tamm-Carts/Tamm/4500.htm

      TAMM CRISTAL (regular price $20.25) 68% Acrylic / 32% Polyester with 2,953yards per 1 pound cone. Suggested knitting machine (standard) tension: 4. Sale price $18.55.

      TAMM NORDIC is a worsted weight yarn perfect for MID-GAUGE or BULKY MACHINES or EON on the standard machine, great for afghans, baby items, sweaters, hats & scarves and general knitting. It has a nice twist and a soft feel. 100% acrylic - 1,112 yards on 1 pound cones, 22 colors (regular price $20.00) sale price $18.20
      color chart here:
      http://www.knitknackshop.com/Tamm-Carts/Tamm/6000.htm

      TAMM SPORT (regular price $21.25) is a sport weight yarn.. Ideal for beginner and custom knitters. 100% acrylic with approximately 1,722 yards per 1 pound cone. Suggested knitting machine tensions: 8 - 10 on standard machines, or 2 on mid-gauge machines, or 7 for 2 strands on mid-gauge machines. Suggested handknitting needle 4 – 5. Sale price $19.45.

      TAMM ESTILO (regular price $23.95) Thin novelty yarn. Highly resistant, good wear and washability. Suited for blouses, baby clothes and dresses. 60% Acrylic / 40% Nylon with 3.670 yards per 1 pound cone. Suggested knitting machine (standard) tension: 6 - 8, or use 2 strands on bulky machine on tension 3 - 5, or use a single strand on bulky machine on tension 9 for a lacy handknit look. Suggested handknitting needle 2 – 3. Sale price $17.00.

      LAMB'S PRIDE by BROWN SHEEP
      $5.00 selected closeout colors

      (regular price: $7.99-9.99/skein)

      -----------

      3) SILVER TEA & KNIT SHOW

      This was loads of fun! See the pics here:

      https://www.facebook.com/media/set/?set=a.10151236315393344.438522.229565593343&type=1

      I will also upload some to our Ravelry group soon. I know we have some readers that don't participate in Facebook but love to spend time on Ravelry instead.

      -----------

      4) EQUIPMENT SALE
      A lot of sale items were pictured on our Facebook page last week... pre-owned knitting machines, ribbers, and some new ASHFORD spinning wheels that were overstocked.

      See it all here:

      https://www.facebook.com/media/set/?set=a.10151265134698344.441302.229565593343&type=1

      We still have 1 Ashford Traveler wheel available at the special offer. Contact us for details. It is new in the box, double treadle, single drive. It's a beautiful wheel.

      -----------

      5) KNITTING HINT

      When knitting scallops, use waste yarn on the scallop edge and leave it attached before steaming. When pinning your piece on the blocking board, place the pins in the waste yarn and stretch the scallops into the desired shape. Only remove the waste yarn after the blocking is complete and the fabric is dry and cool.

      This is especially helpful when using a fine lace weight yarn of a natural fiber that doesn't retain it's "memory" after being blocked. A good example is the Lace Shoulder Wrap in our Alpaca and Wool pattern book.

      -----------

      6) SEMINARS IN YOUR AREA

      Sandee Cherry has updated her webpage listing knitting seminars all over North America. Check it out here:

      http://www.sandeeskwikknit.com/seminar.html

      Carole is teaching at several of the seminars on Sandee's list, be sure to say hello!

      Take note of the upcoming PASSAP seminar in OREGON. It is one of the best (and only) opportunities for Passap knitters to gather and take classes. Info here: http://pacificallypassap.com/

      We have a reader in Baltimore, MARYLAND who would love to attend a seminar or knitting machine event in her area. Can anyone else offer a suggestion? Please write us at rhfarm@... and we will contact her.

      More seminars:

      Purls of Joy Seminar in Princeton, Minnesota (registration form uploaded today in "files" section of this yahoo group) - April 26-27

      Yarnover, sponsored by Minnesota Knitters Guild, Hopkins High School – April 27

      Shepherd's Harvest in Lake Elmo, Minnesota - May 11-12
      info here: www.shepherdsharvestfestival.org/

      Seminar in MICHIGAN - date TBA

      Knitting Machine Camp at Rocking Horse Farm (registration form will be uploaded soon in "files" section of this yahoo group) – June 13-16, 2013

      September Seminar at Rocking Horse Farm (registration form uploaded today in "files" section of this yahoo group) - September 20-21, 2013

      There are also seminars in NORTH CAROLINA and CALIFORNIA Sept. 20-21.

      Seminar in Grand Forks, NORTH DAKOTA - October 5

      -----------

      7) UPCOMING EVENTS AT ROCKING HORSE FARM

      We host several monthly clubs and classes, and other annual events.

      Knit Club, first Saturday of each month (2nd Sat. in Oct, Nov, Dec)1:30pm (free, all invited)
      Includes: Demonstration, Yarn Sale, Snacks, Fellowship, & Show and Tell

      Fiber Friends, 6-9pm (free, all invited) knit/crochet/spin/felt/etc.
      on the 3rd Tuesday of each month. Bring a project to work on.

      May 19 - CSM Sock Knitting Machine Gathering, free, 10-6

      June 13-16 - Knit Camp (bring machines) registration required

      Sept. 20-21 - September Seminar, registration required

      Other classes during the month are listed in the Rocking Horse News.

      This issue includes several patterns, including a new child's size 6 sweater with fitted underarm shaping. There is also an exciting new Canada maple leaf pattern.

      Paid subscribers can take advantage of the special offer for a free DesignaKnit download, or a discount on Scarf and Shawl pattern books for the knitting machine. (Offer expires April 1.)

      The next issue is expected the first week of April.

      9) WANTED: PRODUCTION KNITTERS
      We have been getting requests from companies or designers more frequently lately about the need for production knitters.

      If you are a skilled machine knitter who has a standard knitting machine and DesignaKnit software, let me know if you would like more details about these opportunities.

      Happy Knitting!