241November knitting, stitching & fiber news

    Oct 31, 2010
      There is a lot of news this month so I am breaking it up into two installments... stay tuned for another message later this week!

      In this message:

      1) Internet outage
      2) Mitten Tree
      3) Country Knitting of Maine's hat drive
      4) news about Fiber World #19 contents, and disk
      5) Phyllis Waterhouse sweater book

      1) The Internet was not our friend for most of last week. Our provider suggested that is the fault of the windstorm that pestered most of North America last week. I'm not sure about that, but needless to say it was frustrating. We ask for your patience waiting for response to your emails.

      2) Now that November has arrived, it is time for us to put up the Mitten Trees. We've already had donations of mittens, scarves, and several dozen hats so we will start decorating the trees as soon as they go up. In a few weeks we will begin donating the items to local and national charities.

      Remember to make some extra knit, crocheted or sewn items to donate to charity this season. If you don't have a local place to donate to, feel free to send things our way and we will make sure your items are given to a deserving person.

      3) Our friend Linda Williams of Country Knitting of Maine tells us that her hat drive/contest is going very well. She currently has 685 hats. Her hat drive is also a contest, with prizes going to the most creative hat, most donations, most colorful, and other categories.

      She invites more participation. Here is a message from Linda:

      "Don't forget to get your hats in for the annual Hat Contest for "Keeping Maine Warm". More info on my website."

      4) news about Fiber World #19: by popular request, I have uploaded the Table of Contents as a pdf file in this yahoo group (files section, look for the folder marked Fiber World #19) so it can be downloaded at your convenience. The table of contents lists all the patterns as well as which knitting machine (or handknit) is used.

      Order Fiber World #19 in book form (110 pages) or as an E-book on CD, $25.00 +s/h. Current paid subscribers of the Rocking Horse News paper edition (not online) can take $10 off.

      Also, for users of Brother and KnitKing machines a floppy disk is now available. This disk contains the 5 stitch patterns included in the book. It is in 930 format so it can be used with any machine 930-970, KnitKing Compuknit, electronic Bulky, or PPD.

      There is an extra charge for this disk: $4.00 +s/h.

      5) We have Phyliis Waterhouse's new NORWEGIAN SWEATER book in stock. We advertised them at the suggested list price of $29.99 but the PRICE IS NOW REDUCED to $24.99 +s/h. This price includes a DAK or Brother/KnitKing floppy disk while they last.

      More news to come later this week!