Re: [RobynCarr_Chatgroup] RIP - Davy Jones

  • Sharon Stelzner
    Message 1 of 26 , Mar 1, 2012
      Oh my gosh!!!! I hadn't heard this. This is so sad. I had such a crush on him, although Mickey Dolenz was my favourite character. I saw the Monkees in concert.

      Sharon

      Message 2 of 26 , Mar 1, 2012
        he was only one year older than me!
        imagine how I feel
        I saw him not too long ago on TV
        he looked wonderful
        he was still nice looking and to me didn't
        look his age

        *Peg*

        Message 3 of 26 , Mar 1, 2012
          he was married three times; the last being a young one!
          he has four daughters

          *Peg*

            Part of my childhood passed today. Davy Jones of the Monkees died of a heart attack at the age of 66. He was just 11 years older than me.

            MsTree

          • MsTree
            Message 5 of 26 , Mar 1, 2012

              I had (and still do, albeit in storage) all the Monkee albums and knew the words to all the songs. For some reason, ‘Pleasant Valley Sunday’ was stuck in my head last night after I heard the news. ^_^

              MsTree

              Part of my childhood passed today. Davy Jones of the Monkees died of a heart attack at the age of 66. He was just 11 years older than me.

              MsTree

              No virus found in this message.

            • Nancy Carroll
              Message 6 of 26 , Mar 1, 2012

                I had a huge crush on him too. I put his picture on top of Ken's in the frame on my Barbie piano.

                My other big crush was Bobby Sherman.

                Nancy C

              • DiPeg VanF
                Message 7 of 26 , Mar 1, 2012
                  thats the one i saw; wasn't it good?

                  *Peg*

                  Message 8 of 26 , Mar 1, 2012
                    It was very good.. I enjoy all those PBS shows..

                    Kathleen

                    Sent: Thursday, March 01, 2012 6:57 PM

                    Message 9 of 26 , Mar 2, 2012
                      I have to say that, for the most part, I'm very disappointed in these much
                      older men marrying much younger women. I just can't imagine what I would
                      have in common with a man who's old enough to be my father, whether I'm 30
                      and he's 60 or I'm 20 and he's 50. I know that there are May/December
                      romances that do work but they are very, very rare.

                      I remember years ago, I dated a man who was my father's age. He wanted to
                      get married but he didn't have a very good track record. He'd already been
                      married four times. I was determined that if I ever did marry, it would be
                      one time only and it would be with the right man. This man was very good to
                      me and I enjoyed his company but what I couldn't see was being being 40 and
                      him being 70 even though at that time, I was just in my early 20's. His
                      attitude was, ' if it works, it works and if it doesn't, then it doesn't'.
                      That wasn't what I had in mind regarding marriage. Suffice it to say that I
                      did break it off relatively quickly and certainly have no regrets in doing
                      so.

                      It would be nice to see older men marry women in their own age bracket.
                      After all, there are certainly a lot of very nice, very classy older women
                      who would make some guy a very nice wife. I guess I'll never 'get it' when
                      some 20 year old goes off and marries a 50 or 60 year old. I just can't
                      think that they have anything in common besides the bedsheets.

                      Deb :D

                      Message 10 of 26 , Mar 2, 2012
                        Deborah

                        The older man usually has money$$$$$ and these gals have $$$ signs in
                        their eyes.
                        And the absolutely adore the gentleman especially if he was one of The
                        Monkees.
                        He held is young looking self for quite awhile. So I could see it.
                        Though these May -December types not uncommon especially for those
                        in the limelight. And now days it is not just the men but the women.
                        That brings to mind the grandmother at 55 who wants to me a Dallas
                        Cowboy Cheerleader... Well good for her and she has to be in good shape
                        to take on those Cowboys while she is at it.. That is just gross.
                        My dad was 11 years older than my mom and they didn't have any kids at all
                        until he was nearly 41 years old and 50 when my baby sis was born. I am not
                        into the deal with older men raising children, though in this day and
                        age many
                        of them do live until their children are grown or nearly grown and they do
                        probably make better parents than they did with their older chlldren.
                        My hubby was 8 years older and it was a whole generation difference
                        in our ages. He was born before WWII and had to deal with that era where I
                        was born during the war but never knew what it was like to be rationed.
                        I digress yet once again. No I don't see the fascination in older men.
                        the older men I knew were not even functional... They were jealous of my
                        Children, more or less wanted a caretaker for themselves. I have enough
                        trouble taking care of myself much less an old man. I would have to love him
                        lots to do that. LOL
                        enough - my mind is wandering too many places... Cheers Jolene
                      • Barbara Dail, MAS
                        Message 11 of 26 , Mar 2, 2012
                           There are exceptions to every rule for sure. My husband was 17 years older than I was, we had 3 children and were married for 26 years before he passed away. To me the hardest thing about marrying an older man is that chances are he'll leave a young widow. That's what happened to me, I was 52 when he passed away.

                          He was an amazing dad, participated in all the girl's activities and treated me like the princess I wanted to be :-)

                          I would  have given anything for him to have seen our amazing grandchildren, but it was not to be.

                          Barbara

                          Message 12 of 26 , Mar 2, 2012

                            “Here Comes the Brides” was one of my favorite shows. *grin*  I actually have a book from the “Star Trek” universe that takes place in Seattle with the characters from the show. It’s really well written. ^_^

                            Then there’s the apocryphal story that Gene Roddenberry told his casting director to find a “Davy Jones” type in order to attract younger viewers and ‘Ensign Chekov’ was born. *grin*

                            MsTree

                            Message 13 of 26 , Mar 2, 2012
                              Oh barb I am so sorry you lost your hubby. Yes you were blessed to have
                              such a good man who was a great father. Is sad he missed knowing the
                              grandchildren. My daddy got to know my oldest son and my sister's two
                              daughters. He passed away when my 4th child was just turning 1 year
                              old. My hubby passed away knowing only the little grandson we lost at
                              2-1/2 mos and our grand daughter who is now 19, but he woudl have adored
                              her younger sister Brianna who is not 11. So different from her big sis.
                              Hugs Jolene
                            • Barbara Dail, MAS
                              Message 14 of 26 , Mar 2, 2012
                                Thanx Jolene-

                                Actually it was quite an adjustment for me - I had never worked since
                                college, but found that I'd have to find something to do. Went to work in
                                sales for a friend of my daughter's, and after he sold his business went
                                on to start my own. Never thought of myself as an entrepreneur, but have
                                had a promotional agency for 17 years and love it.

                                My kids say it keeps me out of the pool halls and trouble!

                                Barbara

                                > Oh barb I am so sorry you lost your hubby. Yes you were blessed to have
                                > such a good man who was a great father. Is sad he missed knowing the
                                > grandchildren. My daddy got to know my oldest son and my sister's two
                                > daughters. He passed away when my 4th child was just turning 1 year
                                > old. My hubby passed away knowing only the little grandson we lost at
                                > 2-1/2 mos and our grand daughter who is now 19, but he woudl have adored
                                > her younger sister Brianna who is not 11. So different from her big sis.
                                > Hugs Jolene

                                Proudly supporting our Troops thru Operation Gratitude
                                http://www.operationgratitude.com
                              • Jolene Ehret
                                Message 15 of 26 , Mar 2, 2012
                                  Well good for you. Glad you found your calling and did well with it.
                                  And that you enjoy what you are doing. Fantastic.
                                  Am sure they are relieved that you have stayed out of trouble. LOL
                                  cheers Jolene
                                • Deborah Barber
                                  Message 16 of 26 , Mar 3, 2012

                                    You and my friend, Sheryl, could probably pass for twins.   She felt the same about Bobby Sherman.  Me, on the other hand, I was a David Soul lover.

                                    Deb ;D

                                    Message 17 of 26 , Mar 3, 2012

                                      You absolutely were one of the lucky ones to have found your soul mate and he being so much older.  I envy you that and, I agree, marrying an older man does leave the definite possibility of a young widow.  I`m sure that you both cherished every moment that you had together.  I think one tends to do that when there is a significant age difference between the two of you.

                                      I know I probably left the wrong impression here regarding that May-December thing.  I`m two years older than Bill and we`ve never felt that made any real difference.  Some people have older souls than others and that`s probably one of the reasons why, for you, Barb, the age difference didn`t matter.  Like I said, I couldn`t see it working for me but then I met my soul mate and it didn`t matter – the same as you met yours and it didn`t matter.

                                      Life throws each of us different curves.  Had Bill been much older than me, I`m sure the age difference wouldn`t have mattered.  Your soul mate is your soul mate and I`m sure you still miss him very much.  That`s the one thing about sharing time with anyone.  They leave you memories to rely on when they are no longer there to make more memories with you.

                                      I`m sorry that you lost him as he was still a young man compared to those who are living into their 90`s and 100`s.  I hope I didn`t offend you as that was not my intention.  I think what really gets to me is that it seems now a days, men leave the wife they grew up with from their 20`s to their 50`s or 60`s and then, when they do find someone else, it`s someone who`s young enough to be their daughter.  For every one of these who will have a successful marriage, there`s two dozen who will be long gone by the time they are 30.

                                      Message 18 of 26 , Mar 4, 2012
                                        I see your point, Jolene. I think that's my feeling as well. If a man is
                                        so much older and looking for a caretaker, well, there's always a lodge he
                                        can live in. LOL!

                                        I would think, too, for men who have been single most of their lives and
                                        then marry and begin a family when they are over the age of 40, makes me
                                        wonder how involved they would actually be with their children. Not that
                                        young men are necessarily as involved as they should be. Don't get me
                                        wrong, the right man, no matter what his age, can raise great kids just
                                        because he is there and often, I'm sure, older men may have more patience
                                        than those who are in their 20's when they have children.

                                        I think the hardest thing would be a man trying to find the energy at 60 to
                                        keep up with a three-year-old. However, I also have to say that my
                                        grandparents, for the most part, raised me. My mother left my father when I
                                        was just two and a half and, thankfully, my dad moved back in with his
                                        parents so I not only had the stability of being with my dad but also the
                                        stability of my grandparents who gave their all to see that I was raised
                                        right. When I went to live with them, my grandparents were approximately 57
                                        years old. Not an old age to be sure but still, not an age to have a young
                                        child on their hands. I can remember my grandfather taking me out to the
                                        park to play on the swings and slide before I was school age. He was a cop
                                        for the Canadian Pacific Railroad so he worked shift. I'm sure he took me
                                        out to give my grandmother some time to herself to get housework done
                                        without me being under foot. I cherished those times with him. He and I
                                        would walk down to the St. Lawrence Seaway in the spring, when the ice
                                        breakers would be out breaking the ice in the river. Sometimes, when he was
                                        off work and he had to go pick up his pay cheque, he'd take me with him to
                                        Angus Shops on the bus and I can remember seeing all the old coal engines
                                        laying off the track as they were being broken down for scrap metal as the
                                        diesel engines had just come on board and the coal running engines were
                                        being phased out. I was very sad about that and I can still see those
                                        engines lying off the tracks.

                                        My mother did not come from a very stable background so had she taken
                                        custody of me, my life would have been far different as I have five
                                        half-siblings, all younger than me, who ended up either being adopted or in
                                        foster care. I, being the oldest, and left behind with my father, fared far
                                        better than my siblings as far as I'm concerned. When my mother died, she
                                        had given birth to six children and in the end, didn't know any of us - how
                                        we turned out, the people we turned out to be. It's really sad but it's
                                        also the old adage - you make your bed and you lie in it.

                                        I understand that before she passed, she wanted to get all of her children
                                        together. My question to that is, "Why?" If you didn't care to try to keep
                                        us all together, if you chose not to visit because you didn't have the time,
                                        etc., why do you think we would want to come together as some kind of
                                        'family' because that's what you want. I've come to realize that you can't
                                        make strangers into a family if they aren't willing to become a family.

                                        I know I may sound a little bitter but believe me, I'm actually not. I had
                                        a very good life, brought up by a wonderful, loving father and two
                                        grandparents that doted on me and whom I also doted on. I didn't lack for
                                        much growing up and whlle my dad did make his mistakes, I can't say that it
                                        hurt me significantly. It may have but therapy taught me to put it all into
                                        perspective. After all, there are no 'child raising manuals' to tell you how
                                        to do it right so you make what you feel is the best decision on behalf of
                                        your child. 50% of those decisions will be to the good; 50% of those
                                        decisions will not be the best they could have been.

                                        I was the lucky one out of the six of us. I was given a stability that the
                                        others weren't. I have two half-siblings who were adopted outright at
                                        birth. Good or bad, it made them the adults that they are. I have three
                                        half-sibilings who went into foster care. One brother ran away and went
                                        back to my maternal grandmother where he stayed until he was an adult. Why
                                        Social Services never went looking for him, who knows. My other brother and
                                        sister were fostered with a family who ended up adopting them. Social
                                        Services threatened to take them away and put them in another foster home.
                                        By the time they made this threat, my brother and sister (who are the oldest
                                        in the family) had been living with them for a number of years. Isn't
                                        Social Services great - put them in the first foster home, where they were
                                        beaten, starved and thrown out in the snow in their pajamas with no shoes or
                                        winter coats, whereupon their adoptive father went to Social Services and
                                        reported the situation only to be told that they could not be removed from
                                        that home because they had no other foster home to put them in. Didn't
                                        matter that the children were being abused by the foster parents. That was
                                        when the adoptive father stated, "You'll put them in my home where they will
                                        be fed, clothed and treated the way children should be," so Social Services
                                        took them out of the first foster home and put them in with the adoptive
                                        family. My brother says that Social Services made the threat to take them
                                        out of this home to force the adoption. I'm not certain that's true. I
                                        only know that my brother and sister ended up with the best of parents.
                                        Unfortunately, Dan's father died before I had a chance to meet him but I do
                                        know his mother, and she's a sweetie. (She's the one who sent me the 'neck
                                        exercises'.) Anyway, they had four other children after they adopted my
                                        brother and sister so not only did I end up with an 'adoptive' mom who's
                                        seven years older than I am but I also ended up with a whole extended family
                                        of brothers and sisters that I've grown very fond of.

                                        I guess that when you look at all the circumstances, good parents, no matter
                                        their ages, are good parents and bad parents, no matter their ages, are bad
                                        parents. If there is an age difference, it really isn't going to affect
                                        their parenting skills when you really think about it. A good dad is a good
                                        dad and a poor dad is a poor one.

                                        Deb :D

                                        Message 19 of 26 , Mar 4, 2012
                                          Well said Deb... I have seen many a grandparent come to get the baby
                                          from a gal who is in
                                          the service. It is sad that they can't require them to be on birth
                                          control while they are single
                                          and in the service. When I was a young gal, I had considered going into
                                          the service, but at
                                          the time I would have had to give up my rights to my oldest son before I
                                          could go in. That
                                          I could not make myself do -- my folks still had 3 daughters at home,
                                          dad was still a milk
                                          man then, mom was not working at that time. Luckily my future hubby who
                                          was not
                                          son Jay's dad -- decided he loved us both enough to take us on. So
                                          thank goodness I
                                          didn't have to make a decision like that. I just happened to see a
                                          article in local paper
                                          the army surgeon general is a woman. First ever. She came into service
                                          as a private,
                                          and worked her way up.. Awesome lady!!! Here is the link
                                          http://www.kdhnews.com/news/story.aspx?s=64633
                                          And she was not a doctor finally but is a nurse. That is a first as well.

                                          Anyway Deb you really ended up with a great family. Is hard to see
                                          kids used and abused my the system. My heart cries for them
                                          and is really sad when a woman has baby after baby and can't or
                                          won't care for them. Maybe in the end your mom realized all that
                                          and in her own way was trying to say sorry.
                                          Take care my friend. Cheers Jolene
                                        • MsTree
                                          Message 20 of 26 , Mar 4, 2012

                                            I always preferred David Soul to Bobby Sherman. Thought he had a much better singing voice. And the kicker is: he was a couple months younger than Bobby Sherman, but played the middle brother. *grin*

                                            But my favorite actor was Mark Lenard who played the owner of the sawmill. Probably because he was such a good Vulcan and Romulan in the Star Trek episodes. In the book, he takes in an amnesiac Spock and passes him off as his nephew. Spock eventually discovers that Aaron Stempel is his how many greats grandfather on his mother’s side at the end of the book. ^_^

                                            MsTree