Re: [RobynCarr_Chatgroup] your opinion

  • arubasam@aol.com
    Message 1 of 22 , Dec 1, 2010
      Boy Peg, that's a hard one since I'm sure we don't know every place around the country, but  I do find that the people who live up in Highland County, Va. where my daughter lives, seem to be open and friendly.   Everyone waves at you when their car passes yours and when they don't, you know they are just passing through.  I love that.     I found Lexington, Ky to be very friendly and while it has its stuffy-side (so much money from three different elements ~~ horse farms/owners,  academia from UK, and many entrepreneurs , but to tell you the truth, I love it and the people while versified, mix well and are great.   But, being a city girl, I must say the rural areas are the most friendly.

      You never know when/where you'll find the willingness and goodness of the American people (or anyone anywhere).   We found it on 9/11 when we drove home to Va. from Las Vegas where we had been attending a convention.  The people along the way were exactly what you would expect, concerned and all wishing everyone a safe journey home.   We took the northern route as they immediately closed Hover Dam and came back through Ariz. Utah, Colorado, Kansas, Mo and on into KY and home.   That's another story in itself.

      If you ask me about other countries, I would have to say Italy was the most open/friendly and fun...and of course,  Aruba is known as the "happy island" and it really is.

      Sam

      In a message dated 11/30/2010 11:10:32 P.M. Eastern Standard Time, dipeg@... writes:

      just out of curiosity, i would like to know which city, state or area you feel has the most friendly people living there; e.g., people who woundn't think twice about saying hello or lending a helping hand, even if they don't really know you yet.

      *Peg*
      =^..^=

    • arubasam@aol.com
      Message 2 of 22 , Dec 1, 2010
        LOL  Way to go, Kathleen !!!

        In a message dated 11/30/2010 11:26:32 P.M. Eastern Standard Time, superauntkx9_@... writes:
        am taking the fifth on this one..
      • arubasam@aol.com
        Message 3 of 22 , Dec 1, 2010
          That's very true and I've met a few that were wonderful and I love the   "eh" that some of them use after many sentences.    But, I'm sure that may be the area they come from just like our Northern and Southern accents, not to mention the deep south.   I love accents.    I have a good friend in Massasauga (need to look that up again and see if I spelled it right).
          Sam

          In a message dated 11/30/2010 11:37:26 P.M. Eastern Standard Time, dipeg@... writes:
          i know people in Canada are very nice!

        • Deborah Barber
          Message 4 of 22 , Dec 1, 2010

            Have to say, Peg, that for me, it’s the Maritime provinces.  There’s a saying back there that in the Maritimes, nobody’s a stranger, just a friend you’ve never met.

            Many years ago, a cousin, her husband and daughter travelled from Oakville, Ontario to Fredericton Junction, New Brunswick to visit her parents at Easter time.  Somewhere outside of Grand Falls, NB, they had a breakdown.  It was one of those cold, slushy, sleeting days as only New Brunswick gets in the spring.  Not wanting his wife and daughter to trudge through the weather, he walked from their broken down car all the way up to a farm house that was quite a way from the highway.

            When he got there and knocked on the farmer’s door, the man answered and asked if he was alone.  The husband said he’d had a breakdown and left his wife and daughter in the car rather than them having to get wet.  The farmer hooked up a wagon to his tractor, went down and brought the wife and daughter back up.  By the time they arrived, the farmer’s wife had sandwiches made up and tea on the table along with a big plateful of cookies and cake.

            My cousin, daughter and husband were amazed at the fare and the generosity of the farming family.  By the time they had finished eating, the farmer had the car going again and they could then finish the two hour drive to their destination.  That’s my home province for you.

            Deb :D

            Message 5 of 22 , Dec 1, 2010
              I remember the newspaper story about the people on the trans-Atlantic flight that landed up that way (damn, I can't remember where) and they were there for a few days and the whole town took care of everyone of them.  I'm sure you guys know the story ~~ I just can't remember the place and exact incident.
              Amazing story and I'm sure there are people like that all over our areas that are willing to stand up when needed, but it was such a great story.
              It seems to also be the places where people are steeped in traditional values, the fishermen who follow in their father's footsteps for generations,  the fishing villages along the New England coasts as well as the Northwest coast ~ I find a friendliness and willingness in all those small villages.  Granted, I've only visited a few, but they all seem to have the same willingness as well as a no-nonsense lifestyle.   Love it.
              Sam

              In a message dated 12/1/2010 7:37:42 A.M. Eastern Standard Time, debill@... writes:
              That’s my home province for you.
            • Kathleen Yonts
              Message 6 of 22 , Dec 1, 2010

                Kathleen,

                I think that you have it right when you say start with a smile. If I am wrapped up in myself then I don't notice others. As far as friendly places go, when we lived in the Atlanta, GA area I noticed that the South seems to have a very friendly feeling. Milwaukee, WI is a lot like a small town in a big city and people seem very friendly. When we were in London to visit my British cousins I found everyone to be friendly and helpful. I really think that you can make any area a friendly area by offering a smile and "hello" and a please and thank you.

                Kathy in MD

                Message 7 of 22 , Dec 1, 2010
                  wonderful!

                  dance like nobody is watching
                  live like it is heaven on earth

                  Message 8 of 22 , Dec 1, 2010
                    Well, I live in St. Louis and despite getting the "Most Dangerous City" ranking which is a bunch of bunk, the people here are really great! They are friendly and if anyone is ever in trouble - St. Louisians do come through.

                    Josie

                  • arubasam@aol.com
                    Message 9 of 22 , Dec 1, 2010
                      Good for you, Josie.  Taking up for your City is great.   I think a lot of cities get a bad rep because of some ill-advised remarks made by so-called "experts".  We  have the same thing in some of our surrounding cities and I believe no city is without their share of crimes nor are they without their share of good things.
                      I remember reading an article on a crime infested city where a minority group complained that they were being targeted for arrest 70% more than anyone else...well guess what....that particular city was 80% minority.  Go figure!!!
                      (don't go ballistic on me, I'm only repeating what the article said)

                      We came through St. Louis on the way back  from our trek on 9/11 from Vegas and while we didn't stop, all we saw was a lovely city with that amazing loop and had we not been anxious to get back home, we would have stopped and taken the tour.

                      The world is what you make of it ~~~ to a point, of course.  There are some things, some places, that no amount of smiles will help, but that's life.   We have so much to be thankful for, especially between the USA and our wonderful neighbors to the North!!!
                      Sam

                      In a message dated 12/1/2010 9:19:47 A.M. Eastern Standard Time, ssic27@... writes:

                      Well, I live in St. Louis and despite getting the "Most Dangerous City" ranking which is a bunch of bunk, the people here are really great! They are friendly and if anyone is ever in trouble - St. Louisians do come through.

                      Josie
                    • Kathleen O'Donnell
                      Message 10 of 22 , Dec 1, 2010
                        So true Deb... I have many friends from the Maritimes and I would say they are tops on the list of friendly people in Canada...
                        Kathleen

                        Have to say, Peg, that for me, it’s the Maritime provinces.  There’s a saying back there that in the Maritimes, nobody’s a stranger, just a friend you’ve never met.

                        Deb :D

                        *=^..^=

                      • Kathleen O'Donnell

                          Message 12 of 22 , Dec 1, 2010
                            I agree Kathy...

                            Kathleen

                            Message 13 of 22 , Dec 1, 2010
                              I thought it was 9/11, wasn't sure, but you're right ~~~ the people were fantastic ~~~what people should be everywhere!! What a difference that would make!!!
                              Sam

                              In a message dated 12/1/2010 12:20:40 P.M. Eastern Standard Time, superauntkx9_@... writes:
                              That was in Newfoundland... They did a made for TV movie about this town.. It was during the 9/11 crises when planes had to be diverted to because the airports were closed in the US.. They had not yet closed them in Canada.. The towns people were amazing..

                            • Susan
                              Message 14 of 22 , Dec 1, 2010
                                I lived in such an area like this when I lived in Amish country in PA.  I found in my travels I enjoy the friendliness and kindness of the folks in the western part of the states as well. Susan L
                              • Joyce Roddy
                                Message 15 of 22 , Dec 1, 2010
                                  I live in South Williamson, KY but our town is in  Wlliamson, WV.  I am a retired WV teacher but live in KY.  Our town like many other small towns is suffering from the economy.  We don't have very many businesses left in town, but have doctors and lawyers and places to eat.  Our mall is on the KY side of the river.  To me, the people make the town and our people are very friends and always willing to help.  I have a wonderful church family and I am lucky that my best friend of 66 years still lives here.  Out of my graduating class (1955) we have 11 that are still here and 5 of us go to my church.  I have always said that if friends were an indication of wealth, I am very wealthy.  I live in what is called "The Heart of the Billion Dollar Coal Field"  We are a coal mining town and a railroad town.  I wouldn't want to live anywhere else.  I'm sure we all love our towns and I enjoy reading about everyone home town.   Joyce in Kentucky

                                  Well, I live in St. Louis and despite getting the "Most Dangerous City" ranking which is a bunch of bunk, the people here are really great! They are friendly and if anyone is ever in trouble - St. Louisians do come through.

                                  Josie
                                  --- In RobynCarr_Chatgroup@yahoogroups.com, DiPeg VanF <dipeg@...> wrote:

                                  > just out of
                                  curiosity, i would like to know which city, state or area you feel has the most friendly people living there; e.g., people who woundn't think twice about saying hello or lending a helping hand, even if they don't really know you yet.

                                  > *Peg*
                                  > =^..^=

                                • DiPeg VanF
                                  Message 16 of 22 , Dec 2, 2010
                                    i try and do that around here and they still don't respond or look at me like i have three heads!  i just gave up and do my best and realize that i live in a very unfriendly town.  only people whom seem like to me are the ones where my little granddaughter goes to preschool and it is connected to a lutheran church.

                                    *Peg*
                                    =^..^=

                                    Message 17 of 22 , Dec 2, 2010
                                      I like to think that those type of people must have something missing in their DNA... I don't know a lot of people in my neighbourhood, but as I pass someone I always smile and then they smile back and say hello..

                                      Kathleen

                                      i try and do that around here and they still don't respond or look at me like i have three heads!  i just gave up and do my best and realize that i live in a very unfriendly town.  only people whom seem like to me are the ones where my little granddaughter goes to preschool and it is connected to a lutheran church.

                                      *Peg*
                                      =^..^=

                                    • Carrie Hinkel-Gill
                                      Message 18 of 22 , Dec 2, 2010
                                        Our condo association is like that too. We may not know everyone, but we do try to say "hi" - even to those that irritate the piss out of us, lol!

                                        Carrie
                                        Writer, Editor, Columnist, Webmistress

                                        So many authors, so little time!

                                        Go Green: Reduce Reuse, Recycle, Read eBooks
                                        Get Bogut Squad 6?: http://www.nba.com/bucks/squad6.html
                                        Got Mayhem?: http://moonlightlacemayhem.blogspot.com/
                                        My World: http://carriesworldblog.blogspot.com/