My April Reads

  • quilt938
    Message 1 of 9 , May 1, 2010
      I had a good reading month overall.. a lot (ok most!) of my reads I used to fill a reading challenge with all kinds of different requirements from a tree being on the cover, the word 'bride'in the title. specific author(the only one I haven't completed this month but have til the end of June)..just different ones and a few were books that fell between titles used in the same series. I read a variety of books and would've gone ahead and pushed through the remaining challenge but got sidetracked with other books!

      Once a Thief - Kay Hooper - good but lots of stuff going on. I've had this on my tbr pile for years and one of the challenges was to read a book where the hero or heroine is a thief, con, or pickpocket..seemed another couple was featured more than the thief so I used this to fit another challenge of the setting being a large city.

      Always a Thief - Kay Hooper - good but again lots going on but this one focused more on Quinn (the thief)and Morgan. I used this one to fit the 'thief' challenge since it was focused more on this couple. Room was left for a 3rd book and I think her website's said one has been in the works but that was about 4 years ago so I'm not holding my breath..

      The Cowboy Takes a Bride - Debra Clopton - Love Inspired Mule Hollow series. These short little books are similar to harlequin and silhouette but christian based. Overall I love the series but some are much better than others. I used this one for the challenge for hero or heroine in the entertainment busines. The hero had been a singer with a family show and the woman was a wanna-be actress and they put on a show together. Talk about luck..wanted to get back to this series and was trying to find a book to fit and there it was! Pretty good and some funny scenes.

      Texas Ranger Dad - Debra Clopton - Love Inspired Mule Hollow series. I have to admit this book was not my favorite. The heroine was in a homeless shelter and hero had been protecting her in witness protection and they fell for each other. He left and she didnt' tell him s he was pregnant and not only that she and her son lived in a car and didnt have food and she STILL chose not to tell him or her son the truth. I don't like hidden baby themes and I think she really took things too far in the name of pride.

      Mule Hollow Match - Debra Clopton - novella in Small-Town Brides - Love Inspired Mule Hollow series. I didn't realize the 2 stories here were related and I sorta wish I'd read the first one by Janet Tronstad because the hero in this one did something in the other..again not my favorite but oh well!

      Lone Star Cinderella - Debra Clopton - Love Inspired Mule Hollow series. THis one fit the challenge for a book with a tree on the cover.

      His Cowgirl Bride - Debra Clopton - love inspired mule hollow series-good but could have had an epilogue or bit more at the end IMO. Fit the challenge for 'bride' in the title.

      Red's Hot Honky-Tonk Bar - Pamela Morsi - very good! fit the challenge for a weather term (hot) in the title! I enjoyed this one though I can't say it really had a HEA since I think it's more fiction than romance

      Whippoorwill - Sharon Sala - someone on another board recommended this trilogy starting with this book. I also used it to fit the challenge for an author whose first or last name starts with 'S'. This book took me a while to get into. It did get funny about halfway through but the main character is a prositute and the author uses the 'w' word for this and I hate that word. There are a bunch of characters and their little stories including a bad preacher with a sexual addiction..Lettie and Eulis(down drunk) pull a major scam where he takes over for the bad preacher who died.

      Wildest Hearts - Jayne Ann Krentz - a favorite re-read! challege was for reading our favorite re-read and this was one of my faves! Love this book!

      Identity: Unknown - Suzanne Brockmann - needed an amnesia theme book for the challenge. I'd read this one long time ago but had forgotten some of it. FIgured it'd be quick and since I had the collection on ebook decided to use my ereader for a change of pace.

      Time to Run - Marliss Melton - good - challenge with 'time' in the title! I even read the book before this one so I could use this for the challenge. This was pretty good.

      Coyote's Mate - Lora Leigh - good!my first Breeds book by Leigh and of course wasn't the first so I ended up going back and buying the 1st in ebook and luckily I had some of the others already and will pick up what I need as I get to that place. I enjoyed this one a lot though this 'mating heat' or 'mating frenzy' is a bit much. This is erotic romance big-time and was a big wakeup after reading a lot of christian romance lately! whoo whee!

      Her Forever Cowboy - Debra Clopton - Love Inspired Men of Mule Hollow series. This one was ok..I really didn't see the attraction/love between the hero and heroine other than a physical attraction. I enjoyed catching up on the other Mule Hollow characters though.

      Tempting the Beast - Lora Leigh - Breeds series - the first chronologically according to her website. pretty hot..heroine was meh but liked the hero

      A Mile in My Flip-Flops - Melody Carlson - can't believe I made it through this one! christian chick lit and I honstly think I may be too old to read about stupid women! started out funny but not my cuppa. she maxes her savings buying material stuf for her house with her fiance who dumps her(lucky guy!) so binges on ben & jerrys(good choice!) and watches HGTV, esp the house flipping show. oh and gets a high strung lab mix to live in a dinky 1 br apt that's overcrowded and he can't even wag his tail without knocking something over. poor dog. so talks her father into cosigning/consulting with her in making over house. doesn't take her time and her dad ends up signing a $500,000 loan due in like 30 days or something or he'll lose his condo he put up for collateral. she doesnt' want help and wants to do it all herself. shuns a friend of her dad's because he 'has baggage' and ex and a kid..anyhoo..ended ok but I coudlnt tell she changed any..maxed 2 cards on house stuff on top of th eloan and that's a HEA?! I read other reviews and people seemed to love it but I couldnt' get over the fact that she let her dad do that or that her dad was dumb enough to do it for her! another book by this author I really enjoyed but it didn't have dumb heroine!

      After Dark - Jayne Castle - 1st in the Harmony series and I liked it!

      The Man Within - Lora Leigh - Breeds series - good - I liked this couple, another short erotic romance in the Breeds series. whoo whee hot too!

      The Amen Trail - Sharon Sala - 2nd in Whippoorwill trilogy. this one was funny the first half then got more serious the 2nd half..I swear this author can't go one way or the other LOL! the first was funny the last half and this one the first half. They're on the preaching trail then branch out together. I counted this as my western themed challenge!

      After Glow - Jayne Castle -2nd in Harmony series and features same couple as AFter Dark

      Brianna's Navy Seal - Natalie Damschroder - I had this book wishlisted at paperbackswap for probably a year. I think I saw it on amazon and it was $15 and well I'm too cheap to part with that unless it's an author I know and like or has plenty of nookie or some other redeeming quality someone I know has recommened! :-) I found this in ebook on B&N for $2.50! someone told me how to convert the file for my ereader and I was in business. I thought it was good for $2.50 but overall not all that great IMO..so many little 'major' things going on and woman thinking to keep him safe they should break up..several times it seemed like! I also got the 2 before this one about the other sisters so maybe I missed some stuff with her but so many loose ends and drama not focused on and pursued. I think this would've been ok for a silhouette or harlequin type read but I'm sure glad I didn't plunk down $15 for it.

      Accidentally Demonic - Dakota Cassidy-ok this is book 4 of a paranormal series. book 1 was great - funny. book 2 was Nina's story and I couldn't stand Nina..she's a 'potty mouth' and really and I mean really goes overboard. The 3rd book was supposed to be Wanda's story and Wanda was the nice caring logical one..my fave!..well starts off with Nina swearing for 3 pages yelling at her with teh 'f' word every other word it seemed like. well I'd forgotten I put his on my wl at the library for the ebook download til it came up in my email the other day and I decided to download it. I had just barely started Ghost Hunter(book 3 in the Harmony series!) but decided to go ahead and start this one figuring Nina would turn me off like last time and I'd go back to the other book. Well she does cuss but for some reason the situation/dialogue or whatever was funny to me! I ended up finishing though I couldn't really follow all the paranormal 'rules' and Nina DOES cuss a lot but there were some really funny scenes I thought and I enjoyed it overall.

      so overall a busy reading month for me though a lot were smaller books.
    • superauntkx9_@live.ca

        Message 3 of 9 , May 2, 2010
          Great list. You were busy this month.
          Diana

          Message 4 of 9 , Apr 30, 2012
            FORTUNE'S-THE LAW OF ATTRACTION by Kristi Gold
            FORTUNE'S-ONCE A REBEL- by Sheri Whitefeather
            FORTUNE'S-MILITARY MAN by Maria Ferrarella
            FORTUNE'S-THE RECKONING by Christie Ridgway
            SOMEONE TO LOVE by Kristan Higgins
            MERCILESS by Diana Palmer
            FOREVER BUCKHORN by Lori Foster
            THE BRAVOS-THE 9 MONTH MARRIAGE by Christine Rimmer
            THE BRAVOS-MARRIAGE BY NECESSITY by Christine Rimmer
            THE BRAVOS-MARRIED BY ACCIDENT by Christine Rimmer
            THE BRAVOS-THE MILLIONAIRE SHE MARRIED by Christine Rimmer
            THE BRAVOS-THE M.D. SHE HAD TO MARRY by Christine Rimmer
            THE BRAVOS-PRACTICALLY MARRIED by Christine Rimmer
            THE BRAVOS-THE MARRIAGE AGREEMENT by Christine Rimmer
            THE BRAVOS-THE BRAVO MILLIONAIRE by Christine Rimmer
            THE COWBOY TAKES A BRIDE by Lori Wilde
            CATCH OF THE DAY by Kristan Higgins
            BANNER O'BRIEN by Linda Lael Miller
            A OME BY THE SEA by Christina Skye

            I worked a few more hours this month and my eyes were tired.
          • Kathleen

              Message 6 of 9 , May 1, 2014

                 We had work during the month of April.  It does not make up for the 2 months without but better than nothing.

                A PROMISE AT BLUEBERRY HILL by Emma Kane

                WHEN WE MET by Susan Mallery

                RESCUE AT CARDWELL RANCH by B J Daniels

                TRACELESS by HelenKay Dimon

                THE RENAGADE RANCHER by Angi Morgan

                GROOM UNDER FIRE by Lisa Childs

                THE BODYGUARDS BABY by Debra Webb

                HIGH NOON by Debra Webb

                COWBOY TO HE MAX by Rita Herron

                RETURN TO FALCON RIDGE by Rita Herron

                GUARDING JANE DOE by Harper Allen

                I hope everyone else is having better weather than us.  Been raining since Tuesday and they say it will continue til next Wednesday but for a change os pace it will turn to snow on Sunday.  Where is Spring?

                Maureen/VT

              • Kathleen O'Donnell
                Message 7 of 9 , May 1, 2014
                  Good reads.. And we have had days of rain...but nothing like those folks in Florida or the places that have been hit with Tornados..

                  Kathleen

                  Message 8 of 9 , May 1, 2014
                    Same here with days of rain which they say won't stop til next Wednesday and to add a spice to the mix----snow on Sunday.

                    Message 9 of 9 , May 1, 2014