- Great list, Nancy, darn it. :-) Now I have a bunch more books to add to my TBR pile. Thanks for sharing! Jamie ... From: Nancy To: Nancy Sent: Friday, JulyMessage 1 of 7 , Aug 1, 2009View SourceGreat list, Nancy, darn it. :-) Now I have a bunch more books to add to my TBR pile. Thanks for sharing!Jamie----- Original Message -----From: NancyTo: NancySent: Friday, July 31, 2009 9:29 PMSubject: [RobynCarr_Chatgroup] My July Reading List
My July reading list: (I know it seems like a lot, but seven of them are audio books an hour and fifteen minutes back and forth to work everyday and you can listen to a lot of books! And a couple of them were pretty small books so made for fast reading.)
- "ICE BLUE" by Anne Stuart (Ice Series #3) (A) Museum curator Summer Hawthorne considered the exquisite ice-blue ceramic bowl given to her by her beloved Japanese nanny a treasure of sentimental value - until somebody tried to kill her for it. The priceless relic is about to ignite a global power struggle that must be stopped at all costs. It's a desperate situation, and international operative Takashi O'Brien has received his directive: everybody is expendable. Everybody. Especially the woman who is getting dangerously under his skin as the lethal game crosses the Pacific to the remote and beautiful mountains of Japan, where the truth can be as seductive as it is deadly.
- "JUST OVER THE MOUNTAIN" by Robyn Carr (Grace Valley #2) (A) Here in this peaceful community, folks look out for one another like family, though sometimes a little too well. In a town like this, it's hard to keep a secret - though Dr. June Hudson has managed to keep one heck of a humdinger. Though visits from her secret lover, undercover DEA agent Jim Post, are as clandestine as they are passionate, somehow it fits with her demanding schedule as the town's doctor - a calling that requires an innate ability to exist on caffeine, sticky buns and nerves of steel. But how can a secret lover compete with a flesh-and-blood heartthrob from her past? June's old flame has just returned to town after twenty years - and he's divorced. June is seriously rattled. So when the town's most devoted wife takes buckshot to her husband and some human bones turn up in her aunt Myrna's backyard, she's almost happy for the distraction. Sooner or later, love will have its way in Grace Valley. It always does.
- "THE LAST HONEST WOMAN" by Nora Roberts (Audible Book) (A) As the widow of an infamous race car champion, Abby O'Hurley shunned publicity. But how could she keep charming, disarming, and ruthlessly cynical biographer Dylan Crosby from uncovering her darkest secrets? Nora Roberts brings you the remarkable O'Hurley triplets and their mysterious older brother. Their unique family upbringing has led to four extraordinary lives. This is the story of one of those four extraordinary lives.
- "HIS WINTER ROSE" Lois Richter (A) After many happy summers in the peaceful town of Serenity Bay, Piper Langley had returned to help revitalize the sleepy village. Trouble was, Piper and her new boss didn't see eye-to-eye. Mayor Jason Franklin had the good looks and the take-charge attitude to earn him the town's respect, but not Piper's. To help the place they both adored, they had to find a way to work together. While his faith in God was strong, it would take an even stronger love to thaw the ice around Piper's jaded heart. Thankfully, Jason knew he was the perfect man for the job.
- "EMBRACED BY LOVE" by Suzanne Brockmann (A+) Josie and Cooper were one of those couples everyone envied: gorgeous, successful, and so deeply devoted. Even though Josie tended to work too hard, putting in long hours to life her fledgling company off the ground, and Cooper could be wild and unpredictable, the two complemented each other. It seemed their love would last forever. But sometimes love just isn't enough. When a tragic accident leaves Josie and Cooper with two young children to care for, their bond will be tested. Now the pressures of their commanding careers are compounded by the needs of the children, and they find themselves drifting further and further apart. They will have to work to find the way back to each other, to the incredible passion that was once at the center of their lives - and still burns deep in their hearts.
- "THE LEGEND" by C.J. Carmichael (Cooper's Corners) (A+) Since childhood, Kerry Dumas had been in John Eagle's blood...a piece of his soul. But the deputy sheriff fought his obsession, believing, from bitter experience, that his native heritage put the beautiful geologist out of his reach. Now Kerry wanted him to guide her through Nevada's Black Rock Desert. Just the two of them... Kerry was determined to find the treasure her parents had died trying to reach - to put the past behind her before saying yes to a fiancé she felt obliged to marry. But once alone with John, Kerry could no longer deny what her heart had always known. John loved her...and he was the only man she'd ever wanted.
- "BEAUTIFUL DREAMER" by Elizabeth Lowell (Audio CD Book) (A+) Nevada is home to Hope Gardener, its rugged, majestic beauty a balm for the aches of her heart and spirit. But the cattle ranch she owns and loves is dying, thanks to the worst drought the area has ever seen. Hope needs a miracle or she will lose the land that has been in her family for generations. And then, one day, the miracle appears on horseback. Rio is the stranger who rides into the Valley of the Sun. A loner, a gentler of horses, a cowboy out of time, an anachronism in the modern-day West, he brings with him a tantalizing promise of salvation: a reputation for finding water in any desert. As a woman alone in a harsh and unforgiving place, Hope knows the danger of trusting such a free spirit. But now she has no choice. A man who makes dreams real, who is as wild and unpredictable as the wind that propels him across the vast and open landscape, Rio has never had a dream of his own to follow. Yet he finds something in this extraordinary lady whose passion tempts him to defy his own rules and stay. Suddenly two independent souls must confront the perils and the truths that reside in the deepest, most closely guarded corners of their hearts...as in the midst of adversity they search for a beautiful dream big enough to hold them both.
- "THE BEEKEEPER'S DAUGHTER" by Janice Carter (B+) Just as every bee returns to its hive...She came home to help her dad. But Annie Collins never expected to run the family business on her own. Nor could she have guessed that the daughter she gave up at birth would seek her out. Will Jennings never expected to find Ambrosia Apiary - a place that felt like home before he'd ever laid eyes on it - or to face the tragedy that made him quit firefighting. Sometimes, though, the sweetest thing happen when you least expect them...
- "DESERT RAIN" by Elizabeth Lowell (Audio CD Book) (A) Holly...She is a fragile innocent haunted by memories of her past and by dreams of the man who once shared her secrets...the only man she can truly love. Shannon...One of the world's great beauties, her face and figure grace the fashion pages of the most elegant magazines. Though many desire her, only one may have her. Holly Shannon North...She is a contradiction: assured yet vulnerable, irresistible yet untouched. Destiny has brought her back to Hidden Springs, where she can be one person, where romance once touched her tender young heart - back to Lincoln McKenzie, the proud California rancher, long since hardened by life's tragedies. Now, in the icy chill of a desert storm, they must find the way back to love together - to rekindle the fire whose healing warmth has drawn them home.
- "VISION IN WHITE" by Nora Roberts (Audible Book) (B) The women at Vows - a wedding planning company in Connecticut - make it their business to create memorable events for couples sealing their bonds. And though the bonds between Parker, Emma, Mac and Laurel may not be official, they are very real - and equally worthy of celebration. Mackensie Elliot's experience with her broken family has convinced her the only way to make happiness last is to take a picture of it. She does just that at Vows - where her photos, Laurel's cakes, Emma's flowers, and Parker's almost frightening organizational skills combine for a flourishing business As a bonus, the four friends are able to live on the grounds of Parker's sprawling family estate, where the weddings and other events are staged. Sometimes it means dealing with drama - but even the worst morther-of-the- bridezilla can't compare to Mac's own manipulative mom. Every time Mac talks to her she winds up drained - and so does her bank account. What helps distract her is a slightly geeky, slightly klutzy, but oh-so-cute English teacher Carter Maguire. Mac's enjoying the vibe with him and has no intention of ruining it by making the same mistake her mother makes again and again: getting married. But as the women of Vows band together to score a major client, and Mac nears the breaking point with her mother, she begins to wonder if it's time to come out from behind the camera, and put herself in the picture.
- "COLD AS ICE" by Anne Stuart (Ice Series #2) (A) The job was supposed to be dead easy - hand-deliver some legal papers to billionaire philanthropist Harry Van Dorn's extravagant yacht, get his signature and be done. But Manhattan lawyer Genevieve Spense soon realizes she's in the wrong place at the wrong time, and that the publicly benevolent playboy has a sick, vicious side. As he tries to make her his plaything for the evening, eager to use and abuse her until he discards her with the rest of his victims, Genevieve must keep her wits if she intends to survive the night. But there's someone else on the ship who knows the true depths of Van Dorn's evil. Peter Jensen is far more than the unassuming personal assistant he pretends to be - he's a secret operative who will stop at nothing to ensure Harry's deadly Rule of Seven terror campaign dies with him. But Genevieve's presence has thrown a wrench into his plans, and now he must decide whether to risk his mission to keep her alive, or allow her to become collateral damage.
- "TRIAL BY FURY" by J.A. Jance (J.P. Beaumont Series #3) (A) It was one of the most bizarre crime scenes that J.P. Beaumont had ever seen. The body lay amid the garbage behind a Seattle grocery store - a tall, well-built male, both naked and dead. The smell of death didn't help Beau's hangover. He'd been a homicide cop for twenty years...a job that had put his marriage and too much MacNaughtons on the rocks. But it also gave him a sixth sense about people - especially guilty ones. So when the corpse turned out to be a high school basketball coach with a very pregnant wife, Beaumont knew right away that the lady in question was hiding something. And when he found out the victim had been lynched, he suspected this murder was connected with the extremes of love and hatred. Love for the wrong kind of woman...and hatred by people who take justice into their own blood-soaked hands.
- "THE LAST CHANCE CAFE" by Linda Lael Miller (A) When a blinding Nevada snowstorm and a broken-down truck force Hallie O'Rourke and her two young daughters into the warmth of the Last Chance Cafe, Hallie could not know she would find a new beginning at the roadside diner. Or that the handsome stranger she meets there would change everything she believes about home and family. Chance Qualtrough is a rancher with deep roots in Primrose Creek, and he's never met a woman as alluring - or downright stubborn - as Hallie. An undeniable passion is pulling them together, but Hallie is fleeing a danger so threatening she dares not let Chance into her heart. Will all that Hallie fears come back with full force, destroying her last chance for the life she's always dreamed of?
- "RITUAL IN DEATH" by J.D. Robb (In Death Series #27.5) (Audible Book) (A) When a high-society party is crashed by a naked, knife-wielding, blood-covered man who "thinks" he might have killed someone, Eve Dallas must track down the crime, and the criminals. Everything points to satanic ritual, but Eve doesn't believe in devil worship.
- "DOWN BY THE RIVER" by Robyn Carr (Grace Valley #3) (A) In the peaceful town of Grace Valley, neighbors are like family - and just as meddlesome, too. June Hudson the town's doctor, a caring, capable woman who now has a bit of explaining to do. People are beginning to notice the bloom in her cheeks - and the swell of her belly. Happily, DEA agent Jim Post is back in June's arms for good, newly retired from undercover work and ready for new beginnings here in Grace Valley. Expecting the unexpected is a way of life in Grace Valley, and the community is overflowing with gossip right now. Who is the secret paramour June's aunt Myrna is hiding? Does the town's poker-playing pastor have too many aces up his sleeve? But, when dangers, from man and nature, rise up with a vengeance to threaten June and the town, this community pulls together and shows what it's made of. And Jim discovers the true meaning of happiness here in Grace Valley: there really is no place like home.
- "WHISKEY SOUR" by J.A. Konrath (Audible Book) (A) Lieutenant Jacqueline Daniels is having a bad week. Her live-in boyfriend has left her for his personal trainer, chronic insomnia has maxed out her credit cards with late-night home shopping purchases, and a frightening killer who calls himself "The Gingerbread Man" is dumping mutilated bodies in her district. Between avoiding the FBI and their moronic profiling computer, joining a dating service, mixing it up with street thugs, and parrying the advances of an uncouth PI, Jack and her binge-eating partner Herb must catch the maniac before he kills again...and Jack is next on his murder list. Whiskey Sour is full of laugh-out-loud humor and edge-of-your- seat suspense, and it introduces a fun, fully-drawn heroine in the grand tradition of Kinsey Millhone, Stephanie Plum, and Kay Scarpetta.
- "PARADISE VALLEY" by Robyn Carr (Virgin River series #7) (A) Marine corporal Rick Sudder is home early from Iraq - his tour ended abruptly on the battlefield. The carefree boy is gone, replaced by a man who believes his future is as bleak as his mirror image. But can the passion and commitment of a young woman who has never given up on him mend his broken body and shattered heart? As the people of Virgin River rally around Rick, another recent arrival tests the tightly knit mountain town's famous welcoming spirit. Dan Brady has a questionable past, and he's looking for a place to start over. He'd like it to be Virgin River...if he can find a way in. But he never expects to find it in the arms of a woman who was as much an outcast as himself. For a favorite son returned from war and an outsider looking for a home, Virgin River offers them a chance to make peace with the men they once were...and to find the dreams they thought they'd lost.
- "LOGAN" by Linda Lael Miller (Montana Creeds #1) (A) After years of wandering, Logan Creed, a cowboy with a dusty law degree, has returned home. To put down roots, to restore his family's neglected ranch...to have kids of his own proudly bearing the Creed name. Divorced mom Briana Grant has heard the stories about her gorgeous neighbor. So Logan's kindness with her young boys is a welcome surprise, especially when her ex reappears. And when an unknown enemy vandalizes her home, Logan shows Briana - and the folks of Big Sky country - just what he's made of.
- "DYLAN" by Linda Lael Miller (Montana Creeds #2) (A+) Hailed as "rodeo's bad boy" for his talent at taming bulls and women, Dylan Creed likes life in the fast lane. But when the daughter he rarely sees is abandoned by her mother, Dylan heads home to Stillwater Springs ranch. Somehow the champion bull rider has to turn into a champion father - and fast. Town librarian Kristy Madison is uncharacteristicall y speechless when Dylan Creed turns up for story time with a toddler in tow. The man who'd left a trail of broken heart - including her own - is back...and this time Kristy's determined to tame his wild ways once and for all.
- "TYLER" by Linda Lael Miller (Montana Creeds #3) (A+) Whether winning championship belt buckles or dealing with Hollywood types for endorsement deals, former rodeo star Tyler Creed can handle anything. Except standing on the same patch of land as his estranged brothers. Yet here they are in Stillwater Springs, barely talking but trying to restore the old Creed ranch - and family. Lily Kenyon knows all about family estrangements and secrets. The single mom has come home to set things right, to put down roots for her daughter. What she doesn't expect is Tyler Creed, whom she's loved since childhood. Now the handsome, stubborn cowboy who left home to seek his fortune just might find it was always under the Montana sky.
- "TRIBUTE" by Nora Roberts (Audible Book) (A) Finally out of the celebrity spotlight and away from her mother's demands, Cilla is free to do what she loves: fixing up houses for profit. But her current project is personal. The Shenandoah Valley farm house was once the vacation home of Hollywood luminary Janet Hardy, Cilla's grandmother. When Cilla uncovers a stash of her grandmother' s private letters, and begins asking questions about the past, she becomes the target of a crazed killer who's determined to keep family secrets buried no matter what the cost.
- "SHOW NO MERCY" by Cindy Gerard (Black Ops Inc. #1) (A) Only two things can compel journalist Jenna McMillan back to Buenos Aires after terrorists held her captive there just months before: a rare interview with a shadowy billionaire and the memory of the dark and dangerous man who saved her. Bad guys, bombs, and bullets are Gabriel Jones's way of life. But he'll never forget the brash redhead he rescued not so long ago...or the passionate kiss they shared before he sent her packing. Now, forced together by a bombing at the National Congress, Jenna and Gabe confront the urgent longings that simmer between them. But this surprise meeting is no coincidence. A ruthless enemy stalks them with deadly precision. The question is...if they make it out alive, will Gabe turn his back on Jenna...again?
- "ICE STORM" by Anne Stuart (Ice Series #4) (A+) Behind her mask is a deadly secret...The powerful head of the covert mercenary organization The Committee, Isobel Lambert is a sleek, sophisticated professional who comes into contact with some of the most dangerous people in the world. But beneath Isobel's cool exterior a ghost exists, haunting her with memories of another life...a life that ended long ago. But Isobel's past and present are about to collide when Serafin, mercenary, assassin and the most dangerous man in the world, makes a deal with The Committee. Seventeen years ago Isobel shot him and left him for dead. Now it looks as if he's tracked her down for revenge. But Isobel knows all too well that looks can be deceiving... and that's what she's counting on to keep her cover in this international masquerade of murder.
1. "Double Homicide - Santa Fe/Boston" by Jonathan & Faye Kellerman
2. "What We Keep" by Elizabeth Berg
3. "People of the Plains" by Ken Englade (Tony Hillerman's Frontier #1)
Currently Listening To -
- "Black Hills" by Nora Roberts (Audible Book)
To Be Read - In alphabetical order by author not reading order
- "Rescue Me" by Cherry Adair, Lora Leigh & Cindy Gerard
- "White Heat" by Cherry Adair (Men of T-FLAC #11)
- "Twilight Child" by Warren Adler
- "A Royal Mission" by Elizabeth August (Royally Wed)
- The Expectant Princess" by Stella Bagwell (Royally Wed)
- "Hot Pursuit" by Susanne Brockmann
- "Scenes of Passion" by Suzanne Brockmann
- "Two Alone" by Sandra Brown
- "Heaven's Price" by Sandra Brown
- "Hidden Fires" by Sandra Brown
- "The House On Olive Street" by Robyn Carr
- "Keeper of the Light" by Diane Chamberlain (Keeper of the Light trilogy #1)
- "Kiss River" by Diane Chamberlain (Keeper of the Light trilogy #2)
- "And Then Came You - Sam's Story" by Maureen Child
- "A Crazy Kind of Love - Mike's Storm" by Maureen Child
- "A Royal Marriage" by Cara Colter (Royally Wed )
- "Scarpetta" by Patricia Cornwell
- "SEALed with a Kiss" by Mary Margaret Daughtridge
- "Prodigal Daughter" by Patricia Davids
- "Close to You" by Christina Dodd
- "A Lady Decides" by Dorothea Donley
- "Multiple Blessings" by Jon & Kate Gosselin & Beth Carson
- "Building Dreams" by Ginna Gray
- "Pale Moon Rising" by Ginna Gray
- "Hannah's Dream: A Novel" by Diane Hammond
- "Comfort & Joy" Kristine Hannah
- "The Dark Wind" by Tony Hillerman
- "House Calls and Hitching Posts" as told to Dorcas Sharp Hoover
- "Until I Find You" by John Irving
- "Improbable Cause" by J.A. Jance (J.P. Beaumont #5)
- "Taking the Fifth" by J.A. Jance (J.P. Beaumont #4)
- "The Friday Night Knitting Club" by Kate Jacobs
- "Blind Alley" by Iris Johansen (Eve Duncan Forensics Thriller #5)
- "Countdown" by Iris Johansen (Eve Duncan Forensics Thriller #6)
- "Quicksand" by Iris Johansen (Eve Duncan Forensics Thriller #7)
- "The Official Nora Roberts Companion" by Denise Little and Laura Hayden
- "The Knot" by Marty Kindall
- "Dawn In Eclipse Bay" by Jayne Ann Krentz (Eclipse Bay Trilogy #2)
- "Eclipse Bay" by Jayne Ann Krentz (Eclipse Bay Trilogy #1)
- "Dead Irish" by John Lescroart
- "The Betrayal" by Beverly Lewis (Abrahams Daughters #2)
- "The Covenant" by Beverly Lewis (Abrahams Daughters #1)
- "Small Town Christmas" by Debbie Macomber
- "Chasing Stanley" by Deirdre Martin
- "Mexican Hat" by Michael McGarrity (Kevin Kerney #2)
- "Glory, Glory" by Linda Lael Miller
- "One Last Look" by Linda Lael Miller
- "There and Now" by Linda Lael Miller
- "Code Name: Prince" by Valerie Parv
- "Cross Country" by James Patterson
- "A Man Named Dave" by David Pelzer
- "A Teenager's Journey" by Richard B. Petzer
- "Blood Canticle" Anne Rice (Vampire Chronicles #10)
- "Merrick" by Anne Rice (Vampire Chronicles #7)
- "Blue Moon" by Luanne Rice
- "Stone Heart" by Luanne Rice
- "Summer Light" by Luanne Rice
- "Sister's Choice" by Emilie Richards
- "Suite 606" by J.D. Robb (In Death Series #27)
- "Ghost Moon" by Karen Robards
- "First Impressions" by Nora Roberts
- "From The Heart" Nora Roberts
- "Reflections and Dreams" by Nora Roberts (Stanislaski series #7 & 8)
- "The Stanislaskis" (Waiting for Nick & Considering Kate) by Nora Roberts (Stanislaski series #5 & 6)
- "Winner Takes All" by Nora Roberts
- "A Wedding at Cooper's Corner" by Kristine Rolofson, Muriel Jensen, Bobby Hutchinson (Cooper's Corners)
- "Blue Bayou" by JoAnn Ross (Callahan Brothers trilogy #1)
- "Magnolia Moon" by JoAnn Ross (Callahan Brothers trilogy #3)
- "River Road" by JoAnn Ross (Callahan Brothers trilogy #2)
- "Sweet Baby" by Sharon Sala
- "The Lucky One" by Nicholas Sparks
- "For Her Son's Love" by Kathryn Springer
- "The Kiss" by Danielle Steel
- "The Long Road Home" by Danielle Steel
- "The Other Twin" by Katherine Stone
- "Drifter" by Susan Wiggs
- "Enchanted Afternoon" by Susan Wiggs
- "Passing Through Paradise" by Susan Wiggs
- Nancy, Thanks for the list and the detailed story of the books read. I just reserved a few from the Library. I am sure I will enjoy the them the same as youMessage 2 of 7 , Aug 1, 2009View Source
Thanks for the list and the detailed story of the books read. I just reserved a few from the Library. I am sure I will enjoy the them the same as you did or will, whatever the case is.
-- Don't make old ladies mad. They don't like being old in the first place, so it doesn't take much to set them off.
- 1. TURNING ANGEL by Greg Iles (Natchez #3) (abridged Audio CD) (A++) Turning Angel marks the long-awaited return of Penn Cage, the lawyer hero of The QuietMessage 3 of 7 , Aug 3, 2010View Source1. "TURNING ANGEL" by Greg Iles (Natchez #3) (abridged Audio CD) (A++) Turning Angel marks the long-awaited return of Penn Cage, the lawyer hero of The Quiet Game, and introduces Drew Elliott, the highly respected doctor who saved Penn's life in a hiking accident when they were boys. Drew and Penn sit on the school board of their alma mater, St. Stephen's Prep. When the nude body of a young female student is found, the entire community is shocked - but no one more than Penn, who discovers that his best friend was entangled in a passionate relationship with the girl and may be accused of her murder. When Drew begs Penn to defend him, Penn allows his sense of obligation to override his instinct and agrees. Yet before he can begin, both men are drawn into a web of blackmail and violence. More dangerous yet is Shad Johnson, the black district attorney whose dream is to send a rich white man to death row in Mississippi. It is Penn's journey into the heart of his alma mater that gives Turning Angel its hypnotic power, for on that journey he finds that the intersection of the adult and nearly adult worlds is a dangerous place indeed. By the time Penn arrives at the shattering truth behind Kate Townsend's death, his quiet Southern town will never be the same.
2. "HARBOR LIGHTS" by Sherryl Woods (Chesapeake Shores #3) (A) Struggling in his role as a newly single father, former army medic Kevin O'Brien moves home to Chesapeake Shores. He wants a haven for himself and his toddler son, surrounded by the family he knows he can count on, and a future that's nothing like his past. But Kevin is suddenly facing a risk he hadn't anticipated, in the form of Main Street bookseller Shanna Carlyle. Shanna immediately recognizes Kevin as a wounded soul - she's had way to much experience with the type. Still, this charming O'Brien man and his son are almost impossible to resist. Then, just when the barriers are toppling, someone from Shanna's past appears. Confronted with a threat to their hard-won serenity, Kevin and Shanna face their toughest challenge - learning to trust again.
3. "ALMOST A BRIDE" by Jane Feather (Almost #1) (A) Jack Fortescu gambles to win, and this time his prize is not only his rival's lavish mansion but everything in it - including the man's beautiful sister! But when it comes to games, Jack has met his match. Left homeless by her brother's escapade, Arabella Lacey has two appalling choices: pack her bags - or agree to marry the lunatic who's taken over her house. Why would such a handsome - and outrageously wealthy - man want such an unromantic arrangement? Arabella intends to find out, and have a little fun in the process at Jack's expense...literally. As Jack discovers that his reluctant bride is no ordinary beauty, he feels a stir of admiration, among other emotions, that wasn't part of the bargain. Now he's the one with everything to lose.
4. "MINOR IN POSSESSION" by J.A. Jance (J.P. Beaumont #8) (A+) An extended stay at an Arizona alcohol rehab ranch is not J.P. Beaumont's idea of a carefree vacation, especially with a teenage drug dealer as a roommate. It only gets worse when the punk is shot dead with Beaumont's own .38. Someone is trying to frame him for the murder of Joey Rothman, but that's not the end of Beau's problems. Because if he doesn't find the killer before the killer finds him, the recovering Seattle detective faces a fate far more unpleasant than cold turkey: either a long stretch in the State cooler...or an even longer one beneath the cold, cold ground.
5. "JADE ISLAND" by Elizabeth Lowell (Donovan's #2) (abridged Audio CD) (A) Wild, rugged, and restless, Kyle Donovan has freed himself from the constraints of his father's high-powered global gem-trading empire to become a treasure hunter for his own business. Donovan Minerals and Gems. Now his older brother Archer, President of Donovan International, has asked Kyle to get to the bottom of the disappearance of cultural treasures from the Tang vaults. Lianne Blakely, the illegitimate daughter of a powerful Hong Kong trader and his American mistress, has been accused of the theft. At first suspicious of the bright, ambitious family outcast, Kyle finds himself reluctantly believing her fierce claim of innocence and irresistibly drawn to her exotic beauty. Soon they have joined forces to find the real thief - a venture that draws them into the perils of spiraling international power plays, and the discovery that their mutual love for an exquisite gem stone has linked them in an alliance as enduring as the beauty of the ancient jade.
6. "WILD ORCHIDS" by Jude Deveraux (abridged Audio CD) (A) Since the death of his wife, author Ford Newcombe has lived a life of solitude, barely able to put pen to paper. If there's one thing that Ford needs it's inspiration, and it finally comes in the guise of Jackie Maxwell - a smart, sassy university researcher with just enough attitude to match Ford's sharp intellect. As Ford and Jackie grow closer, they discover a connection between their lives and the past, a connection that not only helps them solve a long-ago crime but offers the promise of new love.
7. "A TEENAGER'S JOURNEY (A Memoir)" by Richard B. Pelzer (A+) In his New York Times bestseller, A Brother's Journey, Richard B. Pelzer told the horrific story of his childhood: how, after his abused brother Dave left the family, Richard became the target of his mother's vicious anger. In this book he chronicles an equally heartbreaking period of his life. As Richard turned sixteen, the six-foot, muscular adolescent knew his mother would never physically overpower him again. But her mental and emotional abuse only intensified. Tormented by his hatred of her and an unrelenting need for her love, he sought refuge in heady cocktails of alcohol and cocaine - and succumbed to heroin and attempts at suicide. Then, a ray of hope: neighbors who reached out to him. Yet Richard's struggle - and his redemption - would be his alone.
8. "MEMORIES OF MEGAN" by Rita Herron (B) Cole Hunter had no memory of who he was or where he came from. Why did nothing or no one seem familiar - except Megan Wells? And why did memories of passionate nights in her arms flash through his mind at the sight of her? Grieving widow Megan Wells didn't believe Cole could be her husband, yet he seemed to know everything about their life together. Soon she couldn't deny the passion she felt in the stranger's arms...or the safety. Could this mystery man possibly be the man she'd loved and lost and hoped to love again?
9. "SHADOW GAME" by Christine Feehan (Ghostwalkers #1) (A+) The classified experiment is the brainchild of renowned scientist Peter Whitney and his brilliant daughter, Lily. Created to enhance the psychic abilities of an elite squadron, it can transform their natural mental powers into a unique military weapon. But something has gone wrong. In the isolated underground labs, the men have been dying, the victims of bizarre accidents. Captain Ryland Miller knows he's next. When Dr. Whitney himself is murdered. Ryland has only one person left to trust: the beautiful Lily. Possessed of an uncanny sixth sense herself, Lily shares Ryland's every new fear, every betrayal, every growing suspicion and every passionate beat of the heart. Together they will be drawn deeper into the labyrinth of her father's past and closer to a secret that someone would kill to keep hidden.
10. "CHRISTMAS ON SNOWBIRD MOUNTAIN" by Fay Robinson (A) Savannah Pelton is a woman alone, a woman who's lost everyone she loves and has become wary of entanglements. Ryan Whitepath is a Cherokee, member of a close family and a vibrant community, a man who cares about his little girl, Nia, above all else. Because of her mother's death, Nia is emotionally ill, but Ryan's grandmother tells him a redbird with a broken wing will heal his daughter. Ryan dismisses her vision until redheaded Susannah shows up on their North Carolina mountain with her wrist is a cast. Nia seems to connect with Susannah, who agrees to stay until Christmas. But Ryan wants to change that to forever - for his own reasons as well as Nia's!
11. "THE SECRET SISTER" by Elizabeth Lowell (A+) "Call Jo-Jo, Urgent." The message greeting fashion writer Christy McKenna fills her with apprehension. Twelve years have passed since she last heard from her estranged sister, the celebrated supermodel known to an admiring world as "Jo." It had been bad news then; it would be bad news now. A desperate plea from the one person she cannot refuse is drawing Christy from Manhattan to the mysterious red-rock canyons of Four Corners country - but too late for Jo, who has vanished without a trace. Suddenly trapped in a world of perilous secrets, in a West she thought she'd escaped forever, Christy's only ally is the outlaw archaeologist Aaron Cain - who could ultimately be a friend, a lover, or a threat - as they chase a fortune in ancient Native American artifacts...and the answers to a strange disappearance that could be the death of them all.
12. "EVENTIDE" by Cindy Martinusen (B) It was one of those magical seasons that lives forever in memory. An Italian seaside village. Days of adventure and romantic exploration. Moonlight swims in a sparkling sea. A once-in-a-lifetime love. And though it ended in heartbreak, though she moved on to marry happily and have a son, Carrie never quite put that summer behind her. Now she's dying young and still haunted by thoughts of her long-ago love. As the mysteries of twenty years unravel, as husband and son, and friend and even a long-lost love converge to say goodbye, something unexpected unfolds. Another seaside adventure. Another moonlight swim. And somehow, even at eventide, the miracle of enduring grace.
13. "SAVANNAH BLUES" by Mary Kay Andrews (unabridged Audio Cassette) (A+) Eloise Foley, known to her friends as Weezie, has been through the divorce from hell. Her ex-husband Tal (aka Talmadge Evans III) was awarded their house in Savannah's historic district. The house that Weezie had spent years painstakingly restoring to its original splendor. Weezie was awarded the two-bedroom carriage house on the same property. Each was sure the other would sell. But Tal has taken up residence in the main house with his new girlfriend Caroline DeSantos (who never seems to perspire or have a hair out of place during the wilting Savannah summer). Weezie is running her antiques business out back, and neither will budge. She's also got a few loony relatives and a hunky former boyfriend to contend with, and if that's not enough, dirty deals aplenty wherever she turns. In this town, where everybody knows everybody's business, something's got to give, and something does.
14. "AFTER TEX" by Sherryl Woods (A) Alive, Tex O'Rourke was a sneaky old coot. Now that he's dead he's even worse. Megan O'Rourke's beloved grandfather had always been determined to lure her out of New York and back to the ranch in Whispering Wind, Wyoming, where he had raised her. And when Megan returns for Tex's funeral, she realizes his will is going to make it impossible for her to refuse. Her "inheritance" is Tex's daughter, Tess, an eight-year-old bundle of trouble Megan had never even known existed. Jake Landers has also come home to Whispering Wind. After leaving town years before under a cloud of suspicion, he's returned to put down roots. And when he comes face-to-face with the woman who shared his troubled past, he hardly recognizes Megan. She's become a driven, stressed-out powerhouse who runs a successful entertainment empire, but who's forgotten what's really important. He knows Megan is going to have to make some big decisions - about life and love, about where home really is. And he's only too happy to help. Because he's letting go of old grudges and beginning to recall some old dreams. And the best one begins with Megan.
15. "HOT ROCKS" by Nora Roberts (A+) Laine Tavish surrounds herself with antiques in her store. As for her own past, she'd rather avoid it. And when that doesn't work, she has to rely on an enigmatic stranger to figure out who is chasing her and why. The answer lies in a hidden fortune that will change her life forever.
16. "THE HOMECOMING" by Maggie Shayne (Texas Brand #9) (A) After witnessing a brutal crime, Jasmine Jones left town with nothing but her seven-year-old son and the building blocks of a whole new identity. And although she hadn't meant to deceive the close-knit Texas Brands, claiming to be their new neighbor, Jenny Lee, was her only chance at survival. Jasmine thought her secret was safe - until one Brand started to ask questions. Luke Brand recognized fear, and this woman was practically shaking in her stilettos. But the woman's blinding beauty and her desperate pleas for protection soon obscured Luke's quest for the truth. Luke knew protecting her was only asking for trouble, but sometimes a Brand's gotta do what a Brand's gotta do.
17. "FAMILY HONOR" by Robert B. Parker (Sunny Randall #1) (unabridged Audio CD) (A-) In Family Honor, Robert B. Parker creates an entirely new character - young, smart, and, for the first time, female. Her name is Sunny Randall, a former cop turned Boston P.I. Hired by a wealthy family to locate their teenage daughter, Sunny soon finds herself the bodyguard for a difficult teenager who refuses to return to her family. But before long, Sunny is facing greater problems than she ever imagined - including criminal conspiracy that reaches to the top of the state government.
18. "BIG JACK" by J.D. Robb (A+) In New York City in 2059, someone is pursuing missing gems from a decades old heist...someone who's willing to kill for them. Sharp-witted and sexy, NYPSD Lieutenant Eve Dallas is used to traveling in the shadowy corners outside the law. And in a future where crime meets cutting edge technology, she will attempt to track down the diamonds once and for all - and stop the danger and death that have surrounded the jewels for years.
19. "MISSIONARY DADDY" by Linda Goodnight (Love Inspired - A Tiny Blessings Tale) (A) To: Ashley - From: Samantha - Re: Sis, I've seen him again! Remember the handsome missionary I met during the modeling shoot? Well, his name's Eric Pellegrino - he's the new assistant director for the adoption agency here in Chestnut Grove! He's trying to find homes for the world's orphans, including two he's crazy about. International adoption isn't easy, especially with Tiny Blessings rocked by scandal - something we Harcourts unfortunately know all about. Eric wants a house full of kids, only I'm afraid my secret will keep us apart. Maybe with faith and a couple of matchmaking teens, the four of us can become a family!
20. "SUMMER HIDEAWAY" by Susan Wiggs (Lakeshore Chronicles #7) (A+) Never get attached - Private nurse and protected witness Clair Turner lives by this motto. Fleeing a treacherous past, she knows no other way. Never give up - In the twilight of his life, George Bellamy makes it his final wish to reconcile with an estranged brother. He and Claire journey to Willow Lake - where it all went wrong for him fifty years ago. Never let go - George's grandson Ross is ruled by a fierce devotion to family and a deep mistrust of the mysterious Clair, yet sparks fly whenever she's near. In the face of a wrenching loss, amid the enchantment of Willow Lake, Ross and Claire dare to risk everything for love.
21. "SUMMER ISLAND" by Kristin Hannah (unabridged Audio Cassette) (A+) Years ago, Nora Bridge walked out on her marriage and left her two daughters behind. Now she is a radio talk show host and nationally syndicated newspaper columnist famous for her straightforward, moral advice. Her daughter, Ruby, is a struggling comedienne who uses her famous mother as fuel for her bitter, cynical humor. The two haven't spoken in more than a decade. When the tabloids unearth a scandalous secret from Nora's past, everything changes. When the tabloids unearth a scandalous secret from Nora's past, everything changes. A magazine offers Ruby a fortune to write a tell-all about her mother, but first Ruby needs to know her well enough to write it. So Ruby returns to Summer Island, the small Washington State island where she grew up. There she is reunited with her first love, a man who once broke her heart, who she has never forgiven, or forgotten. But coming home is never simple. Nora is not the woman Ruby has imagined all these years. She is a wonderful, vulnerable, wise and funny woman who is desperate to reconcile with the daughter she once abandoned, a woman who has harbored terrible family secrets that will change forever Ruby's view of herself and her world.
22. "TATE" by Linda Lael Miller (McKettricks of Texas #1) (A) There are barely enough hours for divorced dad Tate McKettrick to run the Silver Spur ranch, do the suit-and-tie thing for his business and run herd on his beloved six-year-old twin daughters. But time stands still at the sight of Libby Remington. When they were high school sweethearts, the wealthy McKettrick couldn't convince Libby he loved her. But now they're both back in Blue River, Texas. And cattle rustlers, a manipulative ex-wife and a killer stallion can't keep him from trying again. Libby has her hands full taking care of her mother and running the Perk Up Coffee Shop. Caffeine, she needs. Tate McKettrick, with his blazing blue eyes and black hair? No. Oh, heck - yes. But can they really hope for a second chance?
23. "SIZZLE AND BURN" by Jayne Ann Krentz (Arcane Society #3) (abridged Audio CD) (B) Being called creepy can be hard on your self-esteem, even for an attractive, independent woman like Raine Tallentyre. That's what happened when she made the mistake of revealing her paranormal abilities, bringing her most recent romantic relationship to a hasty end. But when she journeys to Shelbyville, Washington, to clear out her aunt's house, Raine's highly developed sensitivity leads her to a horrifying discovery: a young woman, bound and terrified, in a basement storage locker. The victim has survived and the culprit is on the loose. Without warning, a new man enters Raine's life - investigator Zack Jones. Surprisingly, Zack isn't repelled by her powers: in fact, he has his own. While Raine hears voices, Zack sees visions, and within hours of their meeting, Raine experiences an intense, thrilling intimacy - mental, emotional, and physical - that she never dared to expect. There's just one complication, however: Zack Jones is working for the Arcane Society. The secret organization, dedicated to the study of paranormal phenomena, shattered Raine's family with an act of betrayal long ago, and she's not about to trust them now. As a killer makes her his target, and a cabal of physic criminals known as Nighthshade operates in the shadows surrounding them, Raine and Zack, must rely not only on their powerful abilities but on each other as well.
24. "HOUR OF THE HUNTER" by J.A. Jance (Brandon Walker #1) (A) The hunter is free to kill again and hour by hour, he draws closer. The brilliant psychopath Andrew Carlisle spent only six years in prison for the brutal torture-murder of a young girl of the Tohono O'otham tribe. The testimony of Diana Ladd, a teacher on the reservation, put Carlisle behind bars, and now she can't ignore the dark, mystical signs that say a predator has returned to prowl the Arizona desert. Because no matter where Diana and her young son hide...he will find them.
25. "XANTHE'S PYRAMID" by Ishbel Moore (C) When Xanthe is infatuated with the wrong kind of boy, her parents go ballistic. Grounded so she can think things over, Xanthe is shocked to discover that Colton is controlling and capable of jealous rages when he doesn't get his own way. Is that the sort of boyfriend she wants?
26. "HEART OF GOLD" by Tami Hoag (Rainbow Chasers #1) (A) In the charming seaside town of Anastasia, California, Faith Kincaid is looking to start over after her bruising divorce from powerful, corrupt senator William Gerard. But the past still haunts her. As she prepares to testify against her ex at his high-profile bribery trial, the federal government is watching her every move. They've even sent a special agent, Shane Callan, to protect her. Faith doesn't think she needs a bodyguard - especially one as physically formidable as Shane. But he refuses to take no for an answer. Soon the two are sharing secrets and the simmering attraction between them shows signs of sizzling out of control. But as Faith learns, Shane's not a forever kind of guy - unless she can convince him to undergo a major change of heart.
27. "IRRESISTIBLE" by Susan Mallery (Buchanan's #2) (A+) When former Marine Walker Buchanan stops to help Elissa Towers change a tire, he tells himself it's just the neighborly thing to do. And when Elissa finds herself baking him a thank-you pie, she's just returning the favor...right? Both of them have sworn off dating - Elissa's determined to protect her little girl, and that means ditching her taste for dangerous men, especially former Marines with dark secrets. Walker knows that he's not cut out for hearth and home - his own crazy family made sure of that. But the sparks won't stop flying between them. Now the two are struggling to keep their relationship "just friends," but with every kiss, their rules fly out the window.
- Oh boy. I needed more books to read like I need a hole in my head, but there are quite a few books on here that I want now! I ve already been a reading demonMessage 4 of 7 , Aug 3, 2010View SourceOh boy. I needed more books to read like I need a hole in my head, but there are quite a few books on here that I want now! I've already been a reading demon this month, inhaling a Kristin Higgins, Janet Evanovich, JD Robb, Rachel Gibson, Theresa Mederois and Christina Dodd. Whew. Jill, the newbie :)
- Jill, there are just not enough hours in the day to read.. I have loads of books and I have been so busy with one thing and another it takes me days to read aMessage 5 of 7 , Aug 4, 2010View SourceJill, there are just not enough hours in the day to read.. I have loads of books and I have been so busy with one thing and another it takes me days to read a book. I promised myself this month I would read like crazy, but guess what, not gonna happen... Too much LIFE getting in the way.Happy readingKathleen
Oh boy. I needed more books to read like I need a hole in my head, but there are quite a few books on here that I want now! I've already been a reading demon this month, inhaling a Kristin Higgins, Janet Evanovich, JD Robb, Rachel Gibson, Theresa Mederois and Christina Dodd. Whew. Jill, the newbie :)