Re: Congratulations - Greetings from another excited new Robomower owner

  • markfromminnesota
    Message 1 of 7 , May 2, 2006
      Iggy and the gang,

      A few questions regarding the opening in the bushes that my Robo will go through:

      1) How wide does the opening need to be? Just a couple inches wider than the Robo unit
      itself? Or wider just in case? I don't have a lot of open space to work with.

      2) I assume I'd run the two parallel wires (right next to each other) in the exact center of
      the opening so that the mower will be centered when it goes through the opening?

      3) How tall does the opening need to be? Just tall enough for the mower to fit (give or take
      an inch or two?

      Thanks so much,
      ~'kito

      --- In RoboMower@yahoogroups.com, "IGGY & Svetlana" <iggyandsvetlana@...> wrote:

      > I just posted my suggestions for you - check it out - I created a folder for
      > you. Others may post their suggestions there too.
      >

      > Get thicker wire from Home Depot or Lowe's, get green one, it's more durable
      > than the one from FR - when it's time for you to locate broken wire or
      > you'll need to redo the wire you'll be glad you got thick one - it doesn't
      > break.
      >

      > I ignored trees assuming they do not have roots sticking out so you don't
      > have to island them.
      >

      > The wire is just a sketch - follow the installation instructions of about 1
      > ft off the property line - don't peg wire fully.
      >

      > The whole layout is ON ONE WIRE, put the docking station in the back for
      > safety and protection. I don't think it's a good idea to keep the mower in
      > the front on the docking station.
      >

      > Set up Entry Points for the Docking zone and Front zone for mowing, make a
      > tunnel between them 1 ft.
      >

      > The Front zone maybe a bit too big - 7,500 sq. ft. Don't' know, but I'd
      > leave it as one zone and would mow it twice a week - once on MAX and then on
      > 1-2 hours to just clean up the unmowed spots.
      >

      > For the top sidewalk zone make a parallel wire tunnel (wires touching but
      > not twisted). If you have additional cracks in the sidewalk somewhere 1 ft
      > apart you can have the same 1 ft wide tunnel as you'd have between back zone
      > and front zone. (you cannot cut a public sidewalk unless its private) or
      > you may want to see if there is a crack closer to the corner of the street.
      >

      > This way you have it all on one wire and never have to use the additional
      > switch.
      >

      > Use silicone to silicone the wires into the sidewalk crack.
      >
      > Sincerely,
      >
      > IGGY Dybal

    • IGGY & Svetlana
      Message 2 of 7 , May 2, 2006
        _____

        From: RoboMower@yahoogroups.com [mailto:RoboMower@yahoogroups.com] On Behalf
        Of markfromminnesota
        1) How wide does the opening need to be? Just a couple inches wider than the
        Robo unit
        itself? Or wider just in case? I don't have a lot of open space to work
        with.

        The wires for the mower to go through the tunnel need to be at least 1 ft
        from each other parallel. You may need to adjust it first. If you have them
        next to each other parallel, you close out the tunnel. The overall width of
        opening (not between wires - 1-1.5 ft) should be 1.5-2 times the width of
        the mower

        I would test temporarily without full set up of the wire the opening first -
        this is the most important thing if you want to achieve automation and
        jumping zones. If it works, then proceed with the further set up.

        2) I assume I'd run the two parallel wires (right next to each other) in the
        exact center of
        the opening so that the mower will be centered when it goes through the
        opening?

        1-1.5 ft between wires.

        Across the sidewalk both wires next to eh other.

        3) How tall does the opening need to be? Just tall enough for the mower to
        fit (give or take an inch or two?

        Test it, make sure the opening allows for free access and also some space
        around as the mower will be running into the tunnel on both sides but not
        mowing in it as there is not enough space. Leaves tend to grow, so do
        branches, leaves will not be a problem but bouncy branches can push the
        mower back or it will get stuck and the wheels will be digging in and you'll
        have an error or a mower that ends up in China :o)

        In spring trim bushes allow for growth of bushes, in summer trim them
        periodically, same in fall.

        IGGY

      • markfromminnesota
        Message 3 of 7 , May 2, 2006
          Thanks for the info Iggy, I plan to use stakes and ropes plus some trimming to guarantee
          that the opening stays open and accessible to the mower.