Re: A new RL1000 owner - initial thoughts/experiences

  • markfromminnesota
    Message 1 of 17 , May 2, 2006
      --- In RoboMower@yahoogroups.com, "pelagicpaul" <pmagwene@...> wrote:

      > > The one area that I'll likely never mow with the RM is the grassy
      > strips immediately adjacent (and level with) the road by our house.
      > Too many potentially careless drivers! (my mailbox has been hit more
      > than once).

      Paul, just duct tape one of those bright/reflective road construction vests on top of the
      mower. LOL!!! :0)

      Actually, that would look really cute!

      ~'kito
    • Clint D
      Message 2 of 17 , May 2, 2006
        The clock will retain it's memory in the '06 model. In
        the previous year's model the clock will reset. That's
        a new feature for '06 :-)

        Robomower-Lawnbott Sales, Support & Forums
        http://www.robomower.biz

        --- IGGY & Svetlana <iggyandsvetlana@...>
        wrote:

        > Does removal of the battery in RL1000 still reset
        > the clock to zero and it
        > needs to be set up? This used to be the case before?
        >
        > I know it doesn't delete zone and entry point info,
        > but would be useful if
        > the clock remained.
        >
        > Sincerely,
        >
        > IGGY Dybal

        > removed]

      • Austin Morgan
        Message 3 of 17 , May 2, 2006
          I have not tried it with the 2006 software, but I know that the 2005 software
          did. Due to the fact that changing the battery backup would be a hardware mod
          I don't think so.

          Austin Morgan

          IGGY & Svetlana (iggyandsvetlana@...) wrote:

          > Does removal of the battery in RL1000 still reset the clock to zero and it
          > needs to be set up? This used to be the case before?
          >
          > I know it doesn't delete zone and entry point info, but would be useful if
          > the clock remained.
          >
          > Sincerely,
          >
          > IGGY Dybal

        • Clint D
          Message 4 of 17 , May 2, 2006
            Roomba does not suck as good as a dyson or any upright
            vacuum for that matter. That's one of the main reasons
            I refunded mine. I mistakely thought the suction power
            will be near or equal to that of an upright... thus to
            use it as a replacement to my upright that broke.

            After a couple of months, I saw my carpet getting
            darker and upon close examination, I saw that the
            Roomba only does surface cleaning. Therefore I had to
            purchase an upright vacuum to compliment it - hence
            one of the reasons I returned Roomba.

            But don't take my word for it. The Roomba is so cheap,
            you can easily buy one and try it for a month or two
            then return it if needed. I've heard it does WONDERS
            for pet hair. From my experience, it does EXCELLENT
            for hard floors and GOOD for carpet as a maintenance
            vacuum. POOR as an only vacuum.

            Mind you the Roomba I tried was the older model.
            They've made numerous improvements when they made the
            Discovery model. They improved the suction, made the
            dust bin larger, improved hardware, and software...
            it's all listed on their site. I'm tempted to buy
            another one in the future. But if I do, I'll keep my
            upright to do deep cleanings.

            If you have a pet hair problem, you'll probably love
            having the Roomba around as many others do in the user
            group. Apparently it does very well for pet hair. :-)

            Robomower Sales, Support & Forums
            http://www.robomower.biz
          • Austin Morgan
            Message 5 of 17 , May 2, 2006
              Just a note, but both on their website and the documentation that comes with
              the Roomba it states that you should still use your upright periodically
              because of the additional suction. We currently run the roomba daily and the
              upright once a month seems to work out great.

              Austin Morgan

              Clint D (clintd555@...) wrote:

              > Roomba does not suck as good as a dyson or any upright
              > vacuum for that matter. That's one of the main reasons
              > I refunded mine. I mistakely thought the suction power
              > will be near or equal to that of an upright... thus to
              > use it as a replacement to my upright that broke.
              >
              > After a couple of months, I saw my carpet getting
              > darker and upon close examination, I saw that the
              > Roomba only does surface cleaning. Therefore I had to
              > purchase an upright vacuum to compliment it - hence
              > one of the reasons I returned Roomba.
              >
              > But don't take my word for it. The Roomba is so cheap,
              > you can easily buy one and try it for a month or two
              > then return it if needed. I've heard it does WONDERS
              > for pet hair. From my experience, it does EXCELLENT
              > for hard floors and GOOD for carpet as a maintenance
              > vacuum. POOR as an only vacuum.
              >
              > Mind you the Roomba I tried was the older model.
              > They've made numerous improvements when they made the
              > Discovery model. They improved the suction, made the
              > dust bin larger, improved hardware, and software...
              > it's all listed on their site. I'm tempted to buy
              > another one in the future. But if I do, I'll keep my
              > upright to do deep cleanings.
              >
              > If you have a pet hair problem, you'll probably love
              > having the Roomba around as many others do in the user
              > group. Apparently it does very well for pet hair. :-)
              >

              > Robomower Sales, Support & Forums
              > http://www.robomower.biz
              >

              > Yahoo! Groups Links

            • Falcon4
              Message 6 of 17 , May 2, 2006
                Yeah, that's what I have, a (as they call it on Roomba-users) Disco.
                What I did to test it was I ran it around the living room on a full
                cleaning cycle, then I put it away and ran our freshly-cleaned,
                maximum-uber-suckage upright all over the same room. There was barely
                anything in the can, if anything at all! So that's how I figured the
                Roomba did just as good a job. ;-)

                Clint D wrote:

                >I mistakely thought the suction power will be near or equal to that of an upright... thus to use it as a replacement to my upright that broke.

                >Mind you the Roomba I tried was the older model.
                >They've made numerous improvements when they made the
                >Discovery model. They improved the suction, made the
                >dust bin larger, improved hardware, and software...
                >it's all listed on their site.

              • Clint D
                Message 7 of 17 , May 2, 2006
                  Try this... don't use your upright for 3 months. Make
                  sure the upright is cleaned and is working properly,
                  then try that test again.