Increasing efficiency of RM - kind of easy :o) - start from right side of yard

  • IGGY & Svetlana
    Message 1 of 1 , May 1, 2006
      Just dawned on me that RM starts scanning in left direction scan mode - it
      moves from right to left side of the lawn at the start of the mowing - in
      manual start and after it's completed the edging.

      So if you programmed it on learn Edge in automatic mow or in regular manual
      edging you can increase the efficiency of the mower by starting it in the
      scan mode from the extreme right side of the yard or extreme left side so it
      can quickly finish the left directional scanning and move to the right scan
      mode.

      This way you do not duplicate the scan on the smaller portion of the yard
      where it starts scanning but rather hit the whole yard. I estimate that on
      my back yard in the same area of 1/4 left side where my RM starts mowing
      after edging I am losing about 5 minutes or so.

      Of course over time the mower will go over that area again and again, but
      this would be more efficient as far as potential coverage.

      The first scan normally in my front yard takes care of about 60% grass and
      in the back about 25-30% (it's a much larger lot - longer and wider) you can
      still increase the efficiency so the mower doesn't go over the same area
      unnecessarily twice (left and right) during the same time while it can cover
      the whole pass.

      I'd say that this alone can easily increase the mowing area or efficiency of
      mowing the same area by 5-10%.

      I have read the RL1000 manual and it is mentioned the right to left mowing
      scan.

      Would be nice if they added a "TRICK" section to that or maybe a total
      "TRICK" section to the manual including all little tricks like this and
      "tunneling" zone jumping.

      Zone Jumping is actually a great little trick that I think RL1000 owners
      would appreciate - if they can read the manual before carried away to set up
      the wire :o)

      Sincerely,

      IGGY