Re: [RoboMower] Brand new from ebay...

  • Clint D
    Message 1 of 20 , Sep 8, 2003
      So did you order it yet? Let us know when you get it!
      I hope all turns out well. You got a GREAT deal!

      --- Sammy <sammys3@...> wrote:
      > RL500
      > $280+62 for shipping
      > I am thinking that we will need more perimeter wire
      > than the 500' that is provided. Is there any
      > substitute that we could use or do you have to get
      > it from a dealer? Looks like we are going to have 3
      > zones...can you move the switch from zone to zone or
      > will we need 3 switches?
      >
      > Thanks!
      > Sammy

      http://sitebuilder.yahoo.com
    • Clint D
      Message 2 of 20 , Sep 8, 2003
        Silly me....I forgot to tell you, that you'll need
        stakes as well. Buying just the wire is no good if you
        cant hold it down. Plus the stakes they give you is
        just enough for the 500ft of wire included. There was
        some discussion on alternate substitutions for stakes
        as well but I dont think any of them turned up
        anything solid other than ordering them online from a
        Friendly Robotics Dealer.

        --- Clint D <clintd555@...> wrote:
        > So did you order it yet? Let us know when you get
        > it!
        > I hope all turns out well. You got a GREAT deal!
        >

        > --- Sammy <sammys3@...> wrote:
        > > RL500
        > > $280+62 for shipping
        > > I am thinking that we will need more perimeter
        > wire
        > > than the 500' that is provided. Is there any
        > > substitute that we could use or do you have to get
        > > it from a dealer? Looks like we are going to have
        > 3
        > > zones...can you move the switch from zone to zone
        > or
        > > will we need 3 switches?
        > >
        > > Thanks!
        > > Sammy

        > design software
        > http://sitebuilder.yahoo.com

        http://sitebuilder.yahoo.com
      • Iggy and Svetlana
        Message 3 of 20 , Sep 8, 2003
          Look up "wire" in archives. I posted about wire in "Home Depot" once.
          I think I found the answer to my wire question...14 gage/solid will work...right?
          I am thinking that we will need more perimeter wire than the 500' that is provided.  Is there any substitute that we could use or do you have to get it from a dealer?  Looks like we are going to have 3 zones...can you move the switch from zone to zone or will we need 3 switches?

          Thanks!
          Sammy

        • Robert H. Warnke
          Message 4 of 20 , Sep 8, 2003
            I use the 14 gauge solid and prefer it because it is
            stronger and easier to get a better splice when
            needed.

            > I think I found the answer to my wire question...14
            > gage/solid will work...right?

            http://sitebuilder.yahoo.com
          • SONJA FIEDLER
            Message 5 of 20 , Sep 9, 2003
              Great! I will get some today at lunch...I am also going
              to look at the invisible fence stuff that they have at my
              Lowes...they might have the plastic stakes. The company
              is shipping it this morning and the kids are already
              figuring out a name for gramps new 'pet'.

              Thanks for the suggestions of checking out the numberous
              sources of help for the elderly. You are right, there is
              so much out there that people do not know about. We had a
              lawn care place coming out for him but dad usually took
              care of it before they even get there. "Something needs
              to get done, you do it." Well, this way, he can be taking
              care of it himself without the strain...save a little
              face...and have the neatest thing on the block. He has
              already told everyone that his kids bought him a robot
              that will mow the lawn for him. LOL We will see what
              happens...Thanks for all the feedback and suggestions!

              Sammy
            • htperson
              Message 6 of 20 , Sep 10, 2003
                Dear Robomow group,

                Subject Newsflash Alternative Robomower Perimeter Wire and Pegs.

                1. Alternative Perimeter Wire source:
                14 gauge solid wire Green Insulated 500ft.roll for $10.00 at Home
                Depot.
                (this maybe the look up number if you call them 866-296)

                2. Alternative Pegs: I did a little research and looked at the
                husqvarna
                automower...The "Cramps" look just like garden stakes!
                http://international.husqvarna.com/node1573.asp?cid=283

                I saw some at both Walmart and Meijer Stores garden section.
                Bought from Walmart box of 40 for $3.47 the Receipt #001606900319
                (think its the upc product label#)

                Made in the USA by http://www.gardeneer.com (stock#GS-40) (Product
                number 1023)

                On the web page they have a box of 75 for $9.99
                http://www.gardeneer.com/catalog/catalog1.html

                I used both on a newly reworked zone and they work fine. Hope this
                info is helpful for new and old members and the upcoming Robomower
                FAQ.

                as i see it everything is better with friendly machines RL series
                compares to husqvarna machines.... except one thing. the perimeter
                wire and its nails.. i strongly recommend all friendly friends to
                look into the husqvarna spare part store and check up the acessories
                for their machine. 100 nails for 15$ and 150 meters of cable for 25$.
                i hope friendly get the same suplier...
                kind regs allan wallan

                --- In RoboMower@yahoogroups.com, "SONJA FIEDLER" <sammys3@c...>
                wrote:
                > Great! I will get some today at lunch...I am also going
                > to look at the invisible fence stuff that they have at my
                > Lowes...they might have the plastic stakes. The company
                > is shipping it this morning and the kids are already
                > figuring out a name for gramps new 'pet'.
                >
                > Thanks for the suggestions of checking out the numberous
                > sources of help for the elderly. You are right, there is
                > so much out there that people do not know about. We had a
                > lawn care place coming out for him but dad usually took
                > care of it before they even get there. "Something needs
                > to get done, you do it." Well, this way, he can be taking
                > care of it himself without the strain...save a little
                > face...and have the neatest thing on the block. He has
                > already told everyone that his kids bought him a robot
                > that will mow the lawn for him. LOL We will see what
                > happens...Thanks for all the feedback and suggestions!
                >
                > Sammy
              • Clint D
                Message 7 of 20 , Sep 12, 2003
                  I cant help but notice a larger presence of leaves
                  falling on the ground. Also my grass has slowed its
                  growth! I probably wont need to run my mower at all
                  this weekend. FALL IS COMING!!!

                  I have a question for those who use the robomower to
                  chop up leaves...what do you do differently than
                  normal? Shall I run my mower more frequenlty now since
                  their are leaves on ground? Should I raise my wheel
                  heights? Or lower?

                  http://sitebuilder.yahoo.com
                • Iggy and Svetlana
                  Message 8 of 20 , Sep 12, 2003
                    > I cant help but notice a larger presence of leaves
                    > falling on the ground. Also my grass has slowed its
                    > growth! I probably wont need to run my mower at all
                    > this weekend. FALL IS COMING!!!

                    Our grass is still growing in Kansas City, it's cooler and bold patches
                    scorched by heat are greeneing up. I have decided not to cut my grass for a
                    couple of weeks :o)

                    > I have a question for those who use the robomower to
                    > chop up leaves...what do you do differently than
                    > normal? Shall I run my mower more frequenlty now since
                    > their are leaves on ground? Should I raise my wheel
                    > heights? Or lower?

                    Nothing, just mow normally.
                  • tony_e_nc
                    Message 9 of 20 , Sep 13, 2003
                      --- In RoboMower@yahoogroups.com, Clint D <clintd555@y...> wrote:
                      > I cant help but notice a larger presence of leaves
                      > falling on the ground. Also my grass has slowed its
                      > growth! I probably wont need to run my mower at all
                      > this weekend. FALL IS COMING!!!
                      >
                      > I have a question for those who use the robomower to
                      > chop up leaves...what do you do differently than
                      > normal? Shall I run my mower more frequenlty now since
                      > their are leaves on ground? Should I raise my wheel
                      > heights? Or lower?

                      I started experimenting a few weeks back, when the leaves began
                      covering the areas under my larger trees. I methodically raised,
                      then lowered, both the front wheel and the rear ground clearance
                      settings, trying the full range of combinations.

                      Generally speaking, getting the robo closer to the ground produced
                      slightly better leaf eating performance, but overall, the mower did
                      not function too well as a leaf mulcher. It seems logical that the 3
                      smaller robo-blades have less surface area than the traditional large
                      single blade mowers, so they move less air when rotating. As a
                      result, the robo produces less vacuum, and apparently there simply is
                      not enough suction to lift the leaves off the ground, into the path
                      of the blades' cutting edge.

                      I am holding out a little hope that when the ground is covered with
                      leaves a little later in the season, there will be more of a tendency
                      for the leaves to get pushed up into the cutting area. After a
                      couple hours of experimenting though, I went out and picked up an
                      electric blower with the vac attachment, and a 20:1 mulching ratio.

                      For what it's worth, I must have mowed 27 out of the first 30 days I
                      owned the robo. Now that growth has slowed, it's been nearly *5
                      days* since I mowed. Regrettably, I must report an acute case of robo-
                      induced separation anxiety. It's going to be a long winter... <sigh>

                      - Tony
                    • Clint D
                      Message 10 of 20 , Sep 13, 2003
                        I'm experiencing the same problem Tony. Perhaps the others have different types of leaves/grass which make it easier for the mower to server as a leaf mulcher. Unfortunately my mower seems to ignore most of the leaves.

                        tony_e_nc <tony_e_nc@...> wrote:
                        --- In RoboMower@yahoogroups.com, Clint D <clintd555@y...> wrote:
                        > I cant help but notice a larger presence of leaves
                        > falling on the ground. Also my grass has slowed its
                        > growth! I probably wont need to run my mower at all
                        > this weekend. FALL IS COMING!!!
                        >
                        > I have a question for those who use the robomower to
                        > chop up leaves...what do you do differently than
                        > normal? Shall I run my mower more frequenlty now since
                        > their are leaves on ground? Should I raise my wheel
                        > heights? Or lower?

                        I started experimenting a few weeks back, when the leaves began
                        covering the areas under my larger trees.  I methodically raised,
                        then lowered, both the front wheel and the rear ground clearance
                        settings, trying the full range of combinations.

                        Generally speaking, getting the robo closer to the ground produced
                        slightly better leaf eating performance, but overall, the mower did
                        not function too well as a leaf mulcher.  It seems logical that the 3
                        smaller robo-blades have less surface area than the traditional large
                        single blade mowers, so they move less air when rotating.  As a
                        result, the robo produces less vacuum, and apparently there simply is
                        not enough suction to lift the leaves off the ground, into the path
                        of the blades' cutting edge.

                        I am holding out a little hope that when the ground is covered with
                        leaves a little later in the season, there will be more of a tendency
                        for the leaves to get pushed up into the cutting area.  After a
                        couple hours of experimenting though, I went out and picked up an
                        electric blower with the vac attachment, and a 20:1 mulching ratio.

                        For what it's worth, I must have mowed 27 out of the first 30 days I
                        owned the robo.  Now that growth has slowed, it's been nearly *5
                        days* since I mowed. Regrettably, I must report an acute case of robo-
                        induced separation anxiety.  It's going to be a long winter... <sigh>

                        - Tony

                        Do you Yahoo!?

                      • terry_veldhuizen
                        Message 11 of 20 , Sep 13, 2003
                          Actually, here is an opportunity for a simple new attachment. A leaf
                          mulching blade accessory. It will take more power and reduce the
                          mowing time available, but if anyone is up to the challenge....

                          Terry

                          --- In RoboMower@yahoogroups.com, Clint D <clintd555@y...> wrote:
                          > I cant help but notice a larger presence of leaves
                          > falling on the ground. Also my grass has slowed its
                          > growth! I probably wont need to run my mower at all
                          > this weekend. FALL IS COMING!!!
                          >
                          > I have a question for those who use the robomower to
                          > chop up leaves...what do you do differently than
                          > normal? Shall I run my mower more frequenlty now since
                          > their are leaves on ground? Should I raise my wheel
                          > heights? Or lower?

                          > http://sitebuilder.yahoo.com
                        • Iggy and Svetlana
                          Message 12 of 20 , Sep 13, 2003
                            Don't waste your time on the attachment - the mower will much the leaves as
                            the grass grows longer and you'll be OK. I for one stopped mowing my grass
                            and will only mow it next week when we come back from Chicago. When the
                            grass longer it's easier to muclh the leaves as the blad will get them
                            better. Also, tall grass is good for the grass :o)

                            > Actually, here is an opportunity for a simple new attachment. A leaf
                            > mulching blade accessory. It will take more power and reduce the
                            > mowing time available, but if anyone is up to the challenge....
                            >
                            > Terry
                            >

                            > --- In RoboMower@yahoogroups.com, Clint D <clintd555@y...> wrote:
                            > > I cant help but notice a larger presence of leaves
                            > > falling on the ground. Also my grass has slowed its
                            > > growth! I probably wont need to run my mower at all
                            > > this weekend. FALL IS COMING!!!
                            > >
                            > > I have a question for those who use the robomower to
                            > > chop up leaves...what do you do differently than
                            > > normal? Shall I run my mower more frequenlty now since
                            > > their are leaves on ground? Should I raise my wheel
                            > > heights? Or lower?

                          • Clint D

                              > Actually, here is an opportunity for a simple new attachment. A leaf
                              > mulching blade accessory. It will take more power and reduce the
                              > mowing time available, but if anyone is up to the challenge....
                              >
                              > Terry
                              >

                              > --- In RoboMower@yahoogroups.com, Clint D <clintd555@y...> wrote:
                              > > I cant help but notice a larger presence of leaves
                              > > falling on the ground. Also my grass has slowed its
                              > > growth! I probably wont need to run my mower at all
                              > > this weekend. FALL IS COMING!!!
                              > >
                              > > I have a question for those who use the robomower to
                              > > chop up leaves...what do you do differently than
                              > > normal? Shall I run my mower more frequenlty now since
                              > > their are leaves on ground? Should I raise my wheel
                              > > heights? Or lower?

                              Do you Yahoo!?
                            • Iggy and Svetlana
                              Message 14 of 20 , Sep 14, 2003
                                Next year I plan to grow the grass tall. But for now, I dont think my grass will grow tall enough to raise the level of leaves.

                                Just don't mow - it'll grow :o) Boy, I am becoming a poet :o) Two weeks will be plenty.
                                -----
                              • Clint D

                                  Message 16 of 20 , Sep 16, 2003
                                    Well, we are expecting our Robomower to be delivered today!  We are going to Dad's to set it up...but...I do believe that we have to let it charge for at least 24 hours...right?  Well, we are in lovely Virginia and may not be able to run it for quite a few days due to Isabel's untimely arrival...MAN!

                                    We will keep you posted...

                                    Sammy

                                    Message 17 of 20 , Sep 16, 2003
                                      --- In RoboMower@yahoogroups.com, "Sammy" <sammys3@c...> wrote:
                                      > Well, we are expecting our Robomower to be delivered today! We are
                                      going to Dad's to set it up...but...I do believe that we have to let
                                      it charge for at least 24 hours...right? Well, we are in lovely
                                      Virginia and may not be able to run it for quite a few days due to
                                      Isabel's untimely arrival...MAN!

                                      > We will keep you posted...
                                      >
                                      > Sammy

                                      Reading the manual and planning your zones (if you've not already
                                      done so) is a good way to ride it out. As soon as she passes though,
                                      it's time to start running your wire Pal! :-)

                                      Doing so when the ground is a little damp may not be a bad idea
                                      anyway. It beats pounding plastic pegs into the rock hard ground.

                                      Here's hoping your far enough inland to miss the brunt of it.
                                      There's not a battery on the shelf, or loaf of bread for sale, within
                                      100 miles here.

                                      - Tony