Re: [RoboMower] Brand new from ebay...

  • Clint D
    Message 1 of 20 , Sep 8, 2003
      Yes you can use the same switch for all zones. I have
      4 zones and I transfer my switch from zone to zone.
      I'll probably merge 3 of my zones into one eventually.

      I think you're safe with 14 gauge wire. There's some
      discussion on it here. You probably can search for it.
      One day, I'll make a wire FAQ: from repairing it to
      buying from local stores.

      Message 2 of 20 , Sep 8, 2003
        So did you order it yet? Let us know when you get it!
        I hope all turns out well. You got a GREAT deal!

        --- Sammy <sammys3@...> wrote:
        > RL500
        > $280+62 for shipping
        > I am thinking that we will need more perimeter wire
        > than the 500' that is provided. Is there any
        > substitute that we could use or do you have to get
        > it from a dealer? Looks like we are going to have 3
        > zones...can you move the switch from zone to zone or
        > will we need 3 switches?
        >
        > Thanks!
        > Sammy

        http://sitebuilder.yahoo.com
      • Clint D
        Message 3 of 20 , Sep 8, 2003
          Silly me....I forgot to tell you, that you'll need
          stakes as well. Buying just the wire is no good if you
          cant hold it down. Plus the stakes they give you is
          just enough for the 500ft of wire included. There was
          some discussion on alternate substitutions for stakes
          as well but I dont think any of them turned up
          anything solid other than ordering them online from a
          Friendly Robotics Dealer.

          --- Clint D <clintd555@...> wrote:
          > So did you order it yet? Let us know when you get
          > it!
          > I hope all turns out well. You got a GREAT deal!
          >

          > --- Sammy <sammys3@...> wrote:
          > > RL500
          > > $280+62 for shipping
          > > I am thinking that we will need more perimeter
          > wire
          > > than the 500' that is provided. Is there any
          > > substitute that we could use or do you have to get
          > > it from a dealer? Looks like we are going to have
          > 3
          > > zones...can you move the switch from zone to zone
          > or
          > > will we need 3 switches?
          > >
          > > Thanks!
          > > Sammy

          > design software
          > http://sitebuilder.yahoo.com

          http://sitebuilder.yahoo.com
        • Iggy and Svetlana
          Message 4 of 20 , Sep 8, 2003
            Look up "wire" in archives. I posted about wire in "Home Depot" once.
            I think I found the answer to my wire question...14 gage/solid will work...right?
            I am thinking that we will need more perimeter wire than the 500' that is provided.  Is there any substitute that we could use or do you have to get it from a dealer?  Looks like we are going to have 3 zones...can you move the switch from zone to zone or will we need 3 switches?

            Thanks!
            Sammy

          • Robert H. Warnke
            Message 5 of 20 , Sep 8, 2003
              I use the 14 gauge solid and prefer it because it is
              stronger and easier to get a better splice when
              needed.

              > I think I found the answer to my wire question...14
              > gage/solid will work...right?

              http://sitebuilder.yahoo.com
            • SONJA FIEDLER
              Message 6 of 20 , Sep 9, 2003
                Great! I will get some today at lunch...I am also going
                to look at the invisible fence stuff that they have at my
                Lowes...they might have the plastic stakes. The company
                is shipping it this morning and the kids are already
                figuring out a name for gramps new 'pet'.

                Thanks for the suggestions of checking out the numberous
                sources of help for the elderly. You are right, there is
                so much out there that people do not know about. We had a
                lawn care place coming out for him but dad usually took
                care of it before they even get there. "Something needs
                to get done, you do it." Well, this way, he can be taking
                care of it himself without the strain...save a little
                face...and have the neatest thing on the block. He has
                already told everyone that his kids bought him a robot
                that will mow the lawn for him. LOL We will see what
                happens...Thanks for all the feedback and suggestions!

                Sammy
              • htperson
                Message 7 of 20 , Sep 10, 2003
                  Dear Robomow group,

                  Subject Newsflash Alternative Robomower Perimeter Wire and Pegs.

                  1. Alternative Perimeter Wire source:
                  14 gauge solid wire Green Insulated 500ft.roll for $10.00 at Home
                  Depot.
                  (this maybe the look up number if you call them 866-296)

                  2. Alternative Pegs: I did a little research and looked at the
                  husqvarna
                  automower...The "Cramps" look just like garden stakes!
                  http://international.husqvarna.com/node1573.asp?cid=283

                  I saw some at both Walmart and Meijer Stores garden section.
                  Bought from Walmart box of 40 for $3.47 the Receipt #001606900319
                  (think its the upc product label#)

                  Made in the USA by http://www.gardeneer.com (stock#GS-40) (Product
                  number 1023)

                  On the web page they have a box of 75 for $9.99
                  http://www.gardeneer.com/catalog/catalog1.html

                  I used both on a newly reworked zone and they work fine. Hope this
                  info is helpful for new and old members and the upcoming Robomower
                  FAQ.

                  as i see it everything is better with friendly machines RL series
                  compares to husqvarna machines.... except one thing. the perimeter
                  wire and its nails.. i strongly recommend all friendly friends to
                  look into the husqvarna spare part store and check up the acessories
                  for their machine. 100 nails for 15$ and 150 meters of cable for 25$.
                  i hope friendly get the same suplier...
                  kind regs allan wallan

                  --- In RoboMower@yahoogroups.com, "SONJA FIEDLER" <sammys3@c...>
                  wrote:
                  > Great! I will get some today at lunch...I am also going
                  > to look at the invisible fence stuff that they have at my
                  > Lowes...they might have the plastic stakes. The company
                  > is shipping it this morning and the kids are already
                  > figuring out a name for gramps new 'pet'.
                  >
                  > Thanks for the suggestions of checking out the numberous
                  > sources of help for the elderly. You are right, there is
                  > so much out there that people do not know about. We had a
                  > lawn care place coming out for him but dad usually took
                  > care of it before they even get there. "Something needs
                  > to get done, you do it." Well, this way, he can be taking
                  > care of it himself without the strain...save a little
                  > face...and have the neatest thing on the block. He has
                  > already told everyone that his kids bought him a robot
                  > that will mow the lawn for him. LOL We will see what
                  > happens...Thanks for all the feedback and suggestions!
                  >
                  > Sammy
                • Clint D
                  Message 8 of 20 , Sep 12, 2003
                    I cant help but notice a larger presence of leaves
                    falling on the ground. Also my grass has slowed its
                    growth! I probably wont need to run my mower at all
                    this weekend. FALL IS COMING!!!

                    I have a question for those who use the robomower to
                    chop up leaves...what do you do differently than
                    normal? Shall I run my mower more frequenlty now since
                    their are leaves on ground? Should I raise my wheel
                    heights? Or lower?

                    http://sitebuilder.yahoo.com
                  • Iggy and Svetlana
                    Message 9 of 20 , Sep 12, 2003
                      > I cant help but notice a larger presence of leaves
                      > falling on the ground. Also my grass has slowed its
                      > growth! I probably wont need to run my mower at all
                      > this weekend. FALL IS COMING!!!

                      Our grass is still growing in Kansas City, it's cooler and bold patches
                      scorched by heat are greeneing up. I have decided not to cut my grass for a
                      couple of weeks :o)

                      > I have a question for those who use the robomower to
                      > chop up leaves...what do you do differently than
                      > normal? Shall I run my mower more frequenlty now since
                      > their are leaves on ground? Should I raise my wheel
                      > heights? Or lower?

                      Nothing, just mow normally.
                    • tony_e_nc
                      Message 10 of 20 , Sep 13, 2003
                        --- In RoboMower@yahoogroups.com, Clint D <clintd555@y...> wrote:
                        > I cant help but notice a larger presence of leaves
                        > falling on the ground. Also my grass has slowed its
                        > growth! I probably wont need to run my mower at all
                        > this weekend. FALL IS COMING!!!
                        >
                        > I have a question for those who use the robomower to
                        > chop up leaves...what do you do differently than
                        > normal? Shall I run my mower more frequenlty now since
                        > their are leaves on ground? Should I raise my wheel
                        > heights? Or lower?

                        I started experimenting a few weeks back, when the leaves began
                        covering the areas under my larger trees. I methodically raised,
                        then lowered, both the front wheel and the rear ground clearance
                        settings, trying the full range of combinations.

                        Generally speaking, getting the robo closer to the ground produced
                        slightly better leaf eating performance, but overall, the mower did
                        not function too well as a leaf mulcher. It seems logical that the 3
                        smaller robo-blades have less surface area than the traditional large
                        single blade mowers, so they move less air when rotating. As a
                        result, the robo produces less vacuum, and apparently there simply is
                        not enough suction to lift the leaves off the ground, into the path
                        of the blades' cutting edge.

                        I am holding out a little hope that when the ground is covered with
                        leaves a little later in the season, there will be more of a tendency
                        for the leaves to get pushed up into the cutting area. After a
                        couple hours of experimenting though, I went out and picked up an
                        electric blower with the vac attachment, and a 20:1 mulching ratio.

                        For what it's worth, I must have mowed 27 out of the first 30 days I
                        owned the robo. Now that growth has slowed, it's been nearly *5
                        days* since I mowed. Regrettably, I must report an acute case of robo-
                        induced separation anxiety. It's going to be a long winter... <sigh>

                        - Tony
                      • Clint D
                        Message 11 of 20 , Sep 13, 2003
                          I'm experiencing the same problem Tony. Perhaps the others have different types of leaves/grass which make it easier for the mower to server as a leaf mulcher. Unfortunately my mower seems to ignore most of the leaves.

                          tony_e_nc <tony_e_nc@...> wrote:
                          --- In RoboMower@yahoogroups.com, Clint D <clintd555@y...> wrote:
                          > I cant help but notice a larger presence of leaves
                          > falling on the ground. Also my grass has slowed its
                          > growth! I probably wont need to run my mower at all
                          > this weekend. FALL IS COMING!!!
                          >
                          > I have a question for those who use the robomower to
                          > chop up leaves...what do you do differently than
                          > normal? Shall I run my mower more frequenlty now since
                          > their are leaves on ground? Should I raise my wheel
                          > heights? Or lower?

                          I started experimenting a few weeks back, when the leaves began
                          covering the areas under my larger trees.  I methodically raised,
                          then lowered, both the front wheel and the rear ground clearance
                          settings, trying the full range of combinations.

                          Generally speaking, getting the robo closer to the ground produced
                          slightly better leaf eating performance, but overall, the mower did
                          not function too well as a leaf mulcher.  It seems logical that the 3
                          smaller robo-blades have less surface area than the traditional large
                          single blade mowers, so they move less air when rotating.  As a
                          result, the robo produces less vacuum, and apparently there simply is
                          not enough suction to lift the leaves off the ground, into the path
                          of the blades' cutting edge.

                          I am holding out a little hope that when the ground is covered with
                          leaves a little later in the season, there will be more of a tendency
                          for the leaves to get pushed up into the cutting area.  After a
                          couple hours of experimenting though, I went out and picked up an
                          electric blower with the vac attachment, and a 20:1 mulching ratio.

                          For what it's worth, I must have mowed 27 out of the first 30 days I
                          owned the robo.  Now that growth has slowed, it's been nearly *5
                          days* since I mowed. Regrettably, I must report an acute case of robo-
                          induced separation anxiety.  It's going to be a long winter... <sigh>

                          - Tony

                          Do you Yahoo!?

                        • terry_veldhuizen
                          Message 12 of 20 , Sep 13, 2003
                            Actually, here is an opportunity for a simple new attachment. A leaf
                            mulching blade accessory. It will take more power and reduce the
                            mowing time available, but if anyone is up to the challenge....

                            Terry

                            --- In RoboMower@yahoogroups.com, Clint D <clintd555@y...> wrote:
                            > I cant help but notice a larger presence of leaves
                            > falling on the ground. Also my grass has slowed its
                            > growth! I probably wont need to run my mower at all
                            > this weekend. FALL IS COMING!!!
                            >
                            > I have a question for those who use the robomower to
                            > chop up leaves...what do you do differently than
                            > normal? Shall I run my mower more frequenlty now since
                            > their are leaves on ground? Should I raise my wheel
                            > heights? Or lower?

                            > http://sitebuilder.yahoo.com
                          • Iggy and Svetlana
                            Message 13 of 20 , Sep 13, 2003
                              Don't waste your time on the attachment - the mower will much the leaves as
                              the grass grows longer and you'll be OK. I for one stopped mowing my grass
                              and will only mow it next week when we come back from Chicago. When the
                              grass longer it's easier to muclh the leaves as the blad will get them
                              better. Also, tall grass is good for the grass :o)

                              > Actually, here is an opportunity for a simple new attachment. A leaf
                              > mulching blade accessory. It will take more power and reduce the
                              > mowing time available, but if anyone is up to the challenge....
                              >
                              > Terry
                              >

                              > --- In RoboMower@yahoogroups.com, Clint D <clintd555@y...> wrote:
                              > > I cant help but notice a larger presence of leaves
                              > > falling on the ground. Also my grass has slowed its
                              > > growth! I probably wont need to run my mower at all
                              > > this weekend. FALL IS COMING!!!
                              > >
                              > > I have a question for those who use the robomower to
                              > > chop up leaves...what do you do differently than
                              > > normal? Shall I run my mower more frequenlty now since
                              > > their are leaves on ground? Should I raise my wheel
                              > > heights? Or lower?

                            • Clint D

                                > Actually, here is an opportunity for a simple new attachment. A leaf
                                > mulching blade accessory. It will take more power and reduce the
                                > mowing time available, but if anyone is up to the challenge....
                                >
                                > Terry
                                >

                                > --- In RoboMower@yahoogroups.com, Clint D <clintd555@y...> wrote:
                                > > I cant help but notice a larger presence of leaves
                                > > falling on the ground. Also my grass has slowed its
                                > > growth! I probably wont need to run my mower at all
                                > > this weekend. FALL IS COMING!!!
                                > >
                                > > I have a question for those who use the robomower to
                                > > chop up leaves...what do you do differently than
                                > > normal? Shall I run my mower more frequenlty now since
                                > > their are leaves on ground? Should I raise my wheel
                                > > heights? Or lower?

                                Do you Yahoo!?
                              • Iggy and Svetlana
                                Message 15 of 20 , Sep 14, 2003
                                  Next year I plan to grow the grass tall. But for now, I dont think my grass will grow tall enough to raise the level of leaves.

                                  Just don't mow - it'll grow :o) Boy, I am becoming a poet :o) Two weeks will be plenty.
                                  -----
                                • Clint D

                                    Message 17 of 20 , Sep 16, 2003
                                      Well, we are expecting our Robomower to be delivered today!  We are going to Dad's to set it up...but...I do believe that we have to let it charge for at least 24 hours...right?  Well, we are in lovely Virginia and may not be able to run it for quite a few days due to Isabel's untimely arrival...MAN!

                                      We will keep you posted...

                                      Sammy

                                      Message 18 of 20 , Sep 16, 2003
                                        --- In RoboMower@yahoogroups.com, "Sammy" <sammys3@c...> wrote:
                                        > Well, we are expecting our Robomower to be delivered today! We are
                                        going to Dad's to set it up...but...I do believe that we have to let
                                        it charge for at least 24 hours...right? Well, we are in lovely
                                        Virginia and may not be able to run it for quite a few days due to
                                        Isabel's untimely arrival...MAN!

                                        > We will keep you posted...
                                        >
                                        > Sammy

                                        Reading the manual and planning your zones (if you've not already
                                        done so) is a good way to ride it out. As soon as she passes though,
                                        it's time to start running your wire Pal! :-)

                                        Doing so when the ground is a little damp may not be a bad idea
                                        anyway. It beats pounding plastic pegs into the rock hard ground.

                                        Here's hoping your far enough inland to miss the brunt of it.
                                        There's not a battery on the shelf, or loaf of bread for sale, within
                                        100 miles here.

                                        - Tony