which is the best bet

  • Gordon Wojda
    Message 1 of 5 , Mar 7, 2006
      What are the benefits of the RL 550 over the RL 800, Speedway Sales says the RL 800 has upgraded software over the RL 550, is the RL 550 a new model for 2006 I looked for these models on Friendly Robotics website but don't see them.
      I don't need the RL 850 or RL1100 because I will not be using the docking station, also how do you tell what has old or new software.
      I bought an i mow that had never been sold, it has a software version of 3.2 can it be upgraded or would there be any benefit of trying to upgrade.
      Thanks, Gordon

    • IGGY & Svetlana
      Message 2 of 5 , Mar 7, 2006
        On a scale of 1-3

        500/550 - rated 1 in my opinion, very close to 2
        800 - rated 2, about 10-15% higher efficiency than #1
        850/100 - rated 3, about 5-10% higher than #2

        For normal lots you are OK with #1 or 2 - 90-99% of the people will be OK
        with it.

        Sincerely,

        IGGY Dybal - RE/MAX - Kansas City
        Phone: 913-894-4024 Toll-free: 1-877-550-4449
        Fax toll-free: 1-800-596-4449
        E-mail: iggykc@...

        _____

        What are the benefits of the RL 550 over the RL 800, Speedway Sales says the
        RL 800 has upgraded software over the RL 550, is the RL 550 a new model for
        2006 I looked for these models on Friendly Robotics website but don't see
        them.
        I don't need the RL 850 or RL1100 because I will not be using the docking
        station, also how do you tell what has old or new software.
        I bought an i mow that had never been sold, it has a software version of
        3.2 can it be upgraded or would there be any benefit of trying to upgrade.
        Thanks, Gordon

        _____

        YAHOO! GROUPS LINKS

        * Visit your group "RoboMower
        <http://groups.yahoo.com/group/RoboMower> " on the web.

        <http://docs.yahoo.com/info/terms/> .

        _____

      • ga2ia
        Message 3 of 5 , Mar 8, 2006
          Hi!
          The RL550 and RL800 have been long out of production and carries no
          warranty from the manufacturer. One of the most common complaints
          about Robomower performance is it getting stuck, if the RL550 has
          the old slick tires it is best to upgrade it to the knobby tires.
          The RL550 was designed for about 5,000 sq. ft. while the RL850 can
          handle about 10,500 sq. ft.
          The yellow RL850's are approaching the end of their warranty limit.
          In both cases check on the age of the battery. Batteries start to
          deteriorate the moment they leave the manufacturing line. Even a
          never before used battery will have a shortened life span.
          The RL850 has quite a number of hardware and software improvements
          to extend the useful life.
          Do not be surprised by the repair bill if your RL550 breaks. Just
          because you got a good deal on it doesn't mean fixing it is going to
          be cheap.
          In theory, the RL850 with the added internal protections, should
          give you a longer life expectancy between repairs.
          What ever way you choose, welcome to the Robomower family!

          Kerry
          www.bamabots.com
          877-383-6054

        • tysamigo@aol.com
          Message 4 of 5 , Mar 8, 2006
            The RL800 is better than the RL550 although they are very near in quality
            and "class". The RL550 and RL800 were new models in 2003. The models for 2006
            are RL850 and RL1000. The RL850 is essentially an RL1000 w/out a docking
            station. This is the model I recommend for you.

            The SW on the Toro can be upgraded one class. It will give you new A.I. but
            on the menu you will not gain any new "features".

            Tyler

            Message 5 of 5 , Mar 8, 2006
              There were later 500 series with knobby tires at the end of the 500
              production cycle with older software - this is what I have. Don't know the
              series #, I had mine updated by FR for software when it was making circles
              in the front yard. I guess it made it 550 :o)

              I was not aware that 550 had flat tires. I always thought it was only 500?

              My 2 batteries will be 5.5 years this spring I think. I'll test them shortly
              and will see how they last. Last fall one of them was giving in at 30-45
              min. Another one was still going strong about 3 hrs and on hot days about
              3.5 hrs I think.

              Sincerely,

              IGGY Dybal
              _____

              From: RoboMower@yahoogroups.com [mailto:RoboMower@yahoogroups.com] On Behalf
              Of ga2ia
              Hi!
              The RL550 and RL800 have been long out of production and carries no
              warranty from the manufacturer. One of the most common complaints
              about Robomower performance is it getting stuck, if the RL550 has
              the old slick tires it is best to upgrade it to the knobby tires.
              The RL550 was designed for about 5,000 sq. ft. while the RL850 can
              handle about 10,500 sq. ft.
              The yellow RL850's are approaching the end of their warranty limit.
              In both cases check on the age of the battery. Batteries start to
              deteriorate the moment they leave the manufacturing line. Even a
              never before used battery will have a shortened life span.
              The RL850 has quite a number of hardware and software improvements
              to extend the useful life.
              Do not be surprised by the repair bill if your RL550 breaks. Just
              because you got a good deal on it doesn't mean fixing it is going to
              be cheap.
              In theory, the RL850 with the added internal protections, should
              give you a longer life expectancy between repairs.
              What ever way you choose, welcome to the Robomower family!

              Kerry
              www.bamabots.com
              877-383-6054

              --- In RoboMower@yahoogroups.com, Gordon Wojda <gjwojda@...> wrote:

              > What are the benefits of the RL 550 over the RL 800, Speedway
              Sales says the RL 800 has upgraded software over the RL 550, is the
              RL 550 a new model for 2006 I looked for these models on Friendly
              Robotics website but don't see them.
              > I don't need the RL 850 or RL1100 because I will not be using
              the docking station, also how do you tell what has old or new
              software.
              > I bought an i mow that had never been sold, it has a software
              version of 3.2 can it be upgraded or would there be any benefit of
              trying to upgrade.
              > Thanks, Gordon

              Robotic
              <http://groups.yahoo.com/gads?t=ms&k=Robotic+lawn+mower&w1=Robotic+lawn+mowe
              r&w2=Robot+lawn+mower&w3=Electric+lawn+mower&w4=Lawn+mower&w5=Robotic+mower&
              c=5&s=106&.sig=XOAuXwtjPvIxrmpL8DjfAA> lawn mower Robot
              <http://groups.yahoo.com/gads?t=ms&k=Robot+lawn+mower&w1=Robotic+lawn+mower&
              w2=Robot+lawn+mower&w3=Electric+lawn+mower&w4=Lawn+mower&w5=Robotic+mower&c=
              5&s=106&.sig=dYh5hRQEfyekbYbZdPrcNA> lawn mower Electric
              <http://groups.yahoo.com/gads?t=ms&k=Electric+lawn+mower&w1=Robotic+lawn+mow
              er&w2=Robot+lawn+mower&w3=Electric+lawn+mower&w4=Lawn+mower&w5=Robotic+mower
              &c=5&s=106&.sig=X8p3rnvHl9zokGEszxGz6w> lawn mower
              Lawn
              <http://groups.yahoo.com/gads?t=ms&k=Lawn+mower&w1=Robotic+lawn+mower&w2=Rob
              ot+lawn+mower&w3=Electric+lawn+mower&w4=Lawn+mower&w5=Robotic+mower&c=5&s=10
              6&.sig=weatqvEqNQ_9OQY9hHfgwQ> mower Robotic
              <http://groups.yahoo.com/gads?t=ms&k=Robotic+mower&w1=Robotic+lawn+mower&w2=
              Robot+lawn+mower&w3=Electric+lawn+mower&w4=Lawn+mower&w5=Robotic+mower&c=5&s
              =106&.sig=skhn0zq8yOVQqFappPbaAA> mower

              _____