Re: [RoboMower] Robomower Setup

  • Clint D
    Message 1 of 12 , Dec 10, 2005
      You're hooking the wire directly up to the charger? Or the base?

      ga2ia <bighawk@...> wrote: I am having problems setting up my new RL1000. I am using 500 ft. of
      perimeter wire with no breaks. When I hook it up directly to the
      charger the RL1000 can't find the wire signal.

      If I hook it up to a perimeter switch it works fine.

      I hooked up the wire to the charger then spliced in the perimeter
      switch. So long as the perimeter switch is on, it works fine.

      Now, how do I get it to work without the perimeter switch?

      Thanks!

      Robotic lawn mower Robot lawn mower Electric lawn mower Lawn mower Robotic mower

      ---------------------------------

      Message 2 of 12 , Dec 10, 2005
        Call us. We are in the office today. We can troubleshoot over the phone.
        Thanks

        Best Regards,

        M. Tyler Ramage
        Robo Direct Inc.
        Public Affairs
        Customer/Dealer Support Mgr.
        P: 502.742.ROBO (7626)
        F: 502.213.3177
        tyler@...

        Robo Direct, Inc.
        Office Hours 11am-9pm EST Weekdays
        www.robodirect.com

        In a message dated 12/10/2005 10:35:24 A.M. Eastern Standard Time,
        bighawk@... writes:

        I am having problems setting up my new RL1000. I am using 500 ft. of
        perimeter wire with no breaks. When I hook it up directly to the
        charger the RL1000 can't find the wire signal.

        If I hook it up to a perimeter switch it works fine.

        I hooked up the wire to the charger then spliced in the perimeter
        switch. So long as the perimeter switch is on, it works fine.

        Now, how do I get it to work without the perimeter switch?

        Thanks!

      • Bob and Barbara
        Message 3 of 12 , Dec 10, 2005
          Not sure if I understand you correctly... The two wires from the
          power supply (not charger) go to the black and white screw terminals
          on the middle of the perimeter circuit board. Your perimeter wire
          attaches to the little permeter wire connector and slides onto the
          circuit board at the bottom. Is this How you are trying to hook it
          up?

          "setting up my new RL1000" By the way, where do you live? The
          RL1000 has not been tested as a snowblower/snowplow yet or approved
          for that. LOL Mine almost did last month.. Was still on autoprogram
          and a surprise snowstorm. Maybe 2008 model will have that feature?

          Bob

          --- In RoboMower@yahoogroups.com, "ga2ia" <bighawk@b...> wrote:

          > I am having problems setting up my new RL1000. I am using 500 ft.
          of
          > perimeter wire with no breaks. When I hook it up directly to the
          > charger the RL1000 can't find the wire signal.
          >
          > If I hook it up to a perimeter switch it works fine.
          >
          > I hooked up the wire to the charger then spliced in the perimeter
          > switch. So long as the perimeter switch is on, it works fine.
          >
          > Now, how do I get it to work without the perimeter switch?
          >
          > Thanks!

        • ga2ia
          Message 4 of 12 , Dec 10, 2005
            Tyler thanks! I'll give you a call Wednesday. I will be out of
            town Monday and Tuesday. I just finished my Christmas shopping,
            fortuneately this year Lowe's had plenty of coal, the bear was
            wrapping those little chunks and putting on the bow.

            The electrical wires are both run to their corresponding white and
            black positions. I put the perimeter wire in the plot connector and
            plugged that up to the bottom of the board.

            Since the perimeter switch works with the wires attached inside the
            base unit I would say that there is a closed loop. The question is
            how do I get the base to send out the signal to the wire?

            As for the weather you are right, it is down right cold. Supposed
            to get down to 40 degrees tonight, geeze, thank goodness for long
            johns! So much for global warming.

            In my country (Deep, Deep South Alabama) we mow all year around.
            Well, those with push mowers mow all year 'round. Moe (the
            Evolution) decides to go out about every other day to mulch leaves.

            I have Tank (RL1000) go out twice a week, but only because I have to
            go turn on the perimeter switch, otherwise I would have him out
            there every other day as well.

            Thanks for all your concerns and help!

            --- In RoboMower@yahoogroups.com, "Bob and Barbara"

          • tysamigo@aol.com
            Message 5 of 12 , Dec 10, 2005
              Bighawk,

              You are very welcome. Please note that Wed is my flight out for our
              meeting. I will have my cell on me however if you can't get through, phone the
              office. Trey, Steve, or Misse should be able to assist. I will give you both
              numbers so you can try all angles. I look forward to getting your RL1000 back
              in proper working condition.

              Best Regards,

              M. Tyler Ramage
              Robo Direct Inc.
              Public Affairs
              Customer/Dealer Support Mgr.
              P: 502.742.ROBO (7626)
              F: 502.213.3177
              Cell: 502.593.1910
              tyler@...

              Robo Direct, Inc.
              Office Hours 11am-9pm EST Weekdays
              www.robodirect.com

              Message 6 of 12 , Dec 12, 2005
                Hype is building up on the Roomba user group. The
                Scooba will be in the US in a matter of weeks now.
                Those who pre-ordered and paid air frieght will
                receive theirs before Christmas.

                Anyone on this list getting a Scooba?

                Robomower Forums
                http://forum.robomower.biz

                http://mail.yahoo.com
              • tysamigo@aol.com
                Message 7 of 12 , Dec 12, 2005
                  Of course we will as we try to purchase one of each bot available however we
                  intentionally are waiting until spring for our order. We have a special
                  budget for purchases like this. Recently we acquired a few "no longer made"
                  products to add to "the collection". We will likely "acquire" the Scooba in the
                  coming spring. Anyone who obtains one earlier we sure would like to hear
                  your experience.

                  Tyler

                  Message 8 of 12 , Dec 12, 2005
                    Glad you're buying one. I can't wait to read your
                    opinions about it as well. Hopefully someone on this
                    group will post a review shortly after it comes it.

                    --- tysamigo@... wrote:

                    > Of course we will as we try to purchase one of each
                    > bot available however we
                    > intentionally are waiting until spring for our
                    > order. We have a special
                    > budget for purchases like this. Recently we
                    > acquired a few "no longer made"
                    > products to add to "the collection". We will likely
                    > "acquire" the Scooba in the
                    > coming spring. Anyone who obtains one earlier we
                    > sure would like to hear
                    > your experience.
                    >
                    > Tyler

                    > Standard Time,
                    > clintd555@... writes:
                    >
                    > Hype is building up on the Roomba user group. The
                    > Scooba will be in the US in a matter of weeks now.
                    > Those who pre-ordered and paid air frieght will
                    > receive theirs before Christmas.
                    >
                    > Anyone on this list getting a Scooba?
                    >

                    > Robomower Forums
                    > http://forum.robomower.biz

                    > removed]

                    http://mail.yahoo.com
                  • IGGY & Svetlana
                    Message 9 of 12 , Dec 12, 2005
                      Clint:

                      What are you hearing about Roomba, any improvements on quality?

                      _____

                      Message 10 of 12 , Dec 13, 2005
                        There were some improvement on the latest model...
                        Aware 2.1 regarding both hardware and software. But I
                        can't say that there's a reduction in reliability with
                        Roombas. I'm still seeing a great number of people who
                        are experieincing problems from brush roller motors
                        burning out to batteries, and the all so famous circle
                        dance routine. It does seem that the batteries die
                        after 1 year of use... after the warranty in most
                        cases.

                        iRobot is still very good at supporing and replacing
                        their Roombas... people are happy overall even though
                        they are averaging 3-5 Roombas per user over the
                        course of 1-2 years! The current trend is to buy it
                        from Sears along with a 2 year extended warranty...
                        apparantly if your Roomba breaks within 2 years,
                        they'll replace it free of charge and reset your
                        warranty period! This plan has been labeled "Free
                        Roombas for Life" by the group! Your Roomba is
                        guaranteed to break within the first year. In most
                        cases it only last several months. iRobot has in
                        turned started selling refurbished models. Big Lots
                        had them earlier and we'll see more of those in the
                        market soon. They only carry at 90 day warranty
                        though.

                        Lots of people there are very excited about the
                        Scooba. Many people have placed pre-orders and those
                        who haven't will get it when it comes out. iRobot has
                        a very good loyal customer base in which they will
                        continue to buy their products as long as iRobot
                        stands behind them. There was a little mix up about
                        the pre-orderes in which made a couple people angry,
                        but that's just how it goes. :-)

                        Overall, people are very satisfied with their Roombas
                        and can't imagine life without them. When they are
                        functioning, they seem to vacuum well enough to keep
                        people happy and spoiled...especially with the newer
                        models.

                        Robomower Forums
                        http://forums.robomower.biz

                        --- IGGY & Svetlana <iggyandsvetlana@...>
                        wrote:

                        > Clint:
                        >
                        > What are you hearing about Roomba, any improvements
                        > on quality?
                        >

                        > _____

                        http://mail.yahoo.com
                      • beekilher
                        Message 11 of 12 , Dec 13, 2005
                          Call IRobot they have a fix for the circle dance, and battery life.
                          The batteries are designed to last two years that's all. They have
                          new software and hardware on models made after June 1, 2005. The
                          Scheduler has all the updates. The other models may or may not since
                          the box does not have any markings as to when it was made. The middle
                          6 numbers of the serial number should read 050601 or greater to have
                          the new updates. The serial number is located in the battery
                          compartment. Life time warranty from Hammacher-Schlemmer, also bed,
                          bath and beyond has a verbal life time warranty. Also a hacking kit
                          is to be released soon I don't know by who or when.
                          BeeKilher