RE: [RoboMower] Maximum wire length

  • Daryl Reece
    Message 1 of 13 , Oct 7, 2005
      I looked at the files and didn't see any details related to my problem. I
      might have not been clear enough. My perimeter unit indicates a cut wire
      when I attach 100m of wire to it. All 3 units display the same behavior.

      Did I miss some instructions about fixing that issue. It is not the wire
      sense calibration problem that the instructions I found seemed to deal with.

      From: "daryl_reece" <dsr14@...>
      Date: Fri, 07 Oct 2005 12:27:18
      To:RoboMower@yahoogroups.com
      Subject: [RoboMower] Maximum wire length

      I have an RL500. I have setup 3 of these units and each one indicates a
      broken wire when I use a full (500') spool of wire, yet if I bring out my
      multimeter the wire is clearly not broken. It appears to be a design
      defect. Is there a fix for this problem?

      Yahoo! Groups Links

      www.automatetools.com
      Lawn Care and Home Automation
      1-888-TOOLMATE

      Yahoo! Groups Links
    • Kent Hasenbohler
      Message 2 of 13 , Oct 7, 2005
        I have seen this happen when the wire is coiled up (ie has not yet been unrolled).

        If you are trying to test by using just the two ends of the wire and leaving the rest in the box there appears to be some electromagnetic interference happening in the coiled wire which affects the signal. Once the wire is uncoiled everything works fine.

        Hope that helps,

        Kent.

      • tysamigo@aol.com
        Message 3 of 13 , Oct 7, 2005
          If the battery light flashes once and then the cut wire light flashes after
          that it means one of the following:

          1. The length of wire is longer than the Perimeter Switch is designed for
          and should be shortened. Each model P.Switch is designed for different "max
          lengths of wire".

          2. Continuity Problem-Loose connection in lawn at some point that you have
          connected the wires.

          Tyler

          Message 4 of 13 , Oct 7, 2005
            Do you know how to determine the maximum wire length that my unit is
            designed for?

            When I installed a shorter loop, the cut indicator light did not activate so
            I assumed that was a problem. The issue that confuses me is the RL500
            instructions indicate it can support 1000' and the boxes of wire included
            with my unit are 100m. Both appear to be longer than the length for which
            the unit is designed.

            Thanks,
            Daryl

            Message 5 of 13 , Oct 7, 2005
              Daryl,

              Yes. It is a bit confusing and I will briefly explain. The RL500 was
              released in 3 specific models (A, B, and C). The P.Switch that accompanied all
              models support up to 1000ft of wire length however if you have an A or B model
              mower it is likely the P.Switch may have developed a fault. There is a
              deeper explanation with the "A & B" model mowers (currently being distributed by
              non authorized dealers such as woot.com, American Heritage, Overstock.com, and
              others). I would attach a small loop of wire (1 or so ft of length) to the
              Switch and confirm that all works ok. When the switch is plugged back into
              the lawn and you see the bat light blink once and cut wire blink after that,
              then there is a "loose connection". If just the cut wire light blinks then
              that is simply a cut in the wire. If you are experiencing something other than
              what is noted, I would include to the list of "possible problems" that the
              switch itself is faulty. Try another switch on the same zone if possible.

              Tyler

              In a message dated 10/7/2005 12:51:58 P.M. Eastern Standard Time,
              dsr14@... writes:

              Do you know how to determine the maximum wire length that my unit is
              designed for?

              When I installed a shorter loop, the cut indicator light did not activate so
              I assumed that was a problem. The issue that confuses me is the RL500
              instructions indicate it can support 1000' and the boxes of wire included
              with my unit are 100m. Both appear to be longer than the length for which
              the unit is designed.

              Thanks,
              Daryl

            • Matt
              Message 6 of 13 , Oct 7, 2005
                I'm sorry....my error by reading too fast... Look at
                Tyler's last directions and follow them in order - -
                they perfectly match what you need to do to verify
                your problem...

                Let us all know your trouble shooting results using
                those instructions...

                Good luck,

                Matt

                http://us.click.yahoo.com/kHgT2A/lbOLAA/a8ILAA/X8NolB/TM

              • Daryl Reece
                Message 7 of 13 , Oct 7, 2005
                  Bizarre. I did have them all coiled up.

                  I did have another guy tell me that it depended upon the release letter of
                  the perimeter switch. Earlier revisions wouldn't support 1000'.

                  Thanks for the information.

                  Message 8 of 13 , Oct 7, 2005
                    The length of wire supported does vary by different perimeter switches however a 500 foot roll of wire (still coiled up) would not work for me even using the RL1000 docking station which is more powerful than any perimeter switch I believe. I have also tried the separate perimeter switch that comes with the RL1000 and it gives the same results if the wire is not uncoiled.

                    Kent.

                    > I did have another guy tell me that it depended upon the release
                    > letter of
                    > the perimeter switch. Earlier revisions wouldn't support 1000'.
                    >
                    > Thanks for the information.

                  • IGGY & Svetlana

                      > I have an RL500. I have setup 3 of these units and each one indicates
                      > a broken wire when I use a full (500') spool of wire, yet if I bring
                      > out my multimeter the wire is clearly not broken. It appears to
                      > be a
                      > design defect. Is there a fix for this problem?

                      > ~-->
                      > Need Help? Get Help! Tools and Strategies for Healthy Drug-Free
                      > Living.http://us.click.yahoo.com/jcM4OD/dbOLAA/a8ILAA/X8NolB/TM

                    • wild_bill_howell
                      Message 10 of 13 , Oct 8, 2005
                        Appartantly the circuit doesn't like the additional inductance.

                        WB

                        --- In RoboMower@yahoogroups.com, Kent Hasenbohler