Grass strip between tree and sidewalk- Ambrogio vs Friendly

  • jeabraham
    Message 1 of 6 , Sep 19, 2005
      Hi all. I'm looking into these mowers, and have read some of the
      posts here and have spent some time with the manuals for the
      FR-RL-1000 and the Ambrogio Evolution.

      I have trees near the edge of my lawn, with 2-4 feet of grass between
      the tree and the sidewalk. I want these areas mowed. The FR-RL-1000
      manual tells me that this space is too narrow, that the maximum is 5
      feet, and I'd have to exclude these areas (turn them into flower/mulch
      beds or mow them by hand.)

      The Ambrogio has no such specific comment in it's manual about the
      distance between the edge and excluded islands. But it does say that
      narrow passages have to be at least 70cm wide, which is only 2 ft 4
      inches.

      I suppose since the Ambrosia is physically smaller (22x16.5 in vs
      35x26in http://www.robotshop.ca/PDF/Comparaison_chart.PDF), it could
      handle these areas better. And it seems from the manual that it might
      just be smarter about these.

      On the other hand, it could just be that the FR manual is more
      conservative than the Ambrogio's manual.

      Any comments/opinions? In my situation is it better to buy the
      Ambrosia because it is smaller and more agile?

      --
      John
    • Clint D
      Message 2 of 6 , Sep 19, 2005
        I've cut a 3 foot area between my brick flowerbed and
        driveway. The FR manual is conservative but I don't
        know if you can do 2 feet or not. Keep in mind that
        you could put the wire butt up with the sidewalk to
        give the mower clearance if needed. (The mower will
        cross the sidewalk if you do this.) I didn't need to
        butt my wire up to the drive way, in fact the actual
        distance between the wire and the flowerbed probably
        was under 3 feet.

        I would go out and measure the exact distance but I've
        moved since then and unable to measure it. I'm
        probably going to sell my RL500 and buy a RL850 soon.

        Clint

        http://mail.yahoo.com
      • tysamigo@aol.com
        Message 3 of 6 , Sep 19, 2005
          John,

          You were correct. The manual is VERY conservative. You can send me an
          email separately or even better, phone me and we can discuss the solution. Any
          550 and up model RM should be able to handle this. I have installed several
          hundred mowers to date and have been in this scenario many many times.

          Thank you
          Best Regards,

          Tyler Ramage
          Public Affairs
          Customer/Dealer Support Mgr.
          Robo Direct Inc.
          P: 502.742.ROBO (7626)
          F: 502.968.9109
          _tyler@..._ (mailto:tyler@...)
          _www.robodirect.com_ (http://www.robodirect.com)

          In a message dated 9/19/2005 5:08:34 P.M. Eastern Standard Time,
          jabraham@... writes:

          On the other hand, it could just be that the FR manual is more
          conservative than the Ambrogio's manual.

        • terry_veldhuizen
          Message 4 of 6 , Sep 19, 2005
            You do not say if what you intend to do at the trees. If they are
            larger than about 4", then you could let the mower bump into them.
            This would mean that you only need to run a wire near the sidewalk,
            and nothing by the trees. If the trees are smaller or the area is
            too uneven (usually caused by roots) and you need to create an
            island, then you may need to exclude the area between the trees and
            the sidewalk. This would only be necessary for the trees very close
            to the sidewalk, and for them, you might have to cut manually with a
            string trimmer. I have a stop sign about 2 feet away from the curb
            and the mower just fits between with the wire running down the curb.
            Unfortunately, trial and error may be your only way to determine
            this.

            Terry

            --- In RoboMower@yahoogroups.com, "jeabraham" <jabraham@u...> wrote:
            > Hi all. I'm looking into these mowers, and have read some of the
            > posts here and have spent some time with the manuals for the
            > FR-RL-1000 and the Ambrogio Evolution.
            >
            > I have trees near the edge of my lawn, with 2-4 feet of grass
            between
            > the tree and the sidewalk. I want these areas mowed. The FR-RL-
            1000
            > manual tells me that this space is too narrow, that the maximum is
            5
            > feet, and I'd have to exclude these areas (turn them into
            flower/mulch
            > beds or mow them by hand.)
            >
            > The Ambrogio has no such specific comment in it's manual about the
            > distance between the edge and excluded islands. But it does say
            that
            > narrow passages have to be at least 70cm wide, which is only 2 ft 4
            > inches.
            >
            > I suppose since the Ambrosia is physically smaller (22x16.5 in vs
            > 35x26in http://www.robotshop.ca/PDF/Comparaison_chart.PDF), it
            could
            > handle these areas better. And it seems from the manual that it
            might
            > just be smarter about these.
            >
            > On the other hand, it could just be that the FR manual is more
            > conservative than the Ambrogio's manual.
            >
            > Any comments/opinions? In my situation is it better to buy the
            > Ambrosia because it is smaller and more agile?
            >
            > --
            > John
          • IGGY & Svetlana
            Message 5 of 6 , Sep 19, 2005
              It's possible the mower can get stuck at the tree with the rear or front bumper if it hits it at the right (sharp) angle and you may have the wheels rotating and digging two holes. This can burn the motors although newer mower have built in anti-burning protection.
              You do not say if what you intend to do at the trees. If they are
              larger than about 4", then you could let the mower bump into them.
              This would mean that you only need to run a wire near the sidewalk,
              and nothing by the trees. If the trees are smaller or the area is
              too uneven (usually caused by roots) and you need to create an
              island, then you may need to exclude the area between the trees and
              the sidewalk. This would only be necessary for the trees very close
              to the sidewalk, and for them, you might have to cut manually with a
              string trimmer. I have a stop sign about 2 feet away from the curb
              and the mower just fits between with the wire running down the curb.
              Unfortunately, trial and error may be your only way to determine
              this.

              Terry

              --- In RoboMower@yahoogroups.com, "jeabraham" <jabraham@u...> wrote:
              > Hi all. I'm looking into these mowers, and have read some of the
              > posts here and have spent some time with the manuals for the
              > FR-RL-1000 and the Ambrogio Evolution.
              >
              > I have trees near the edge of my lawn, with 2-4 feet of grass
              between
              > the tree and the sidewalk. I want these areas mowed. The FR-RL-
              1000
              > manual tells me that this space is too narrow, that the maximum is
              5
              > feet, and I'd have to exclude these areas (turn them into
              flower/mulch
              > beds or mow them by hand.)
              >
              > The Ambrogio has no such specific comment in it's manual about the
              > distance between the edge and excluded islands. But it does say
              that
              > narrow passages have to be at least 70cm wide, which is only 2 ft 4
              > inches.
              >
              > I suppose since the Ambrosia is physically smaller (22x16.5 in vs
              > 35x26in http://www.robotshop.ca/PDF/Comparaison_chart.PDF), it
              could
              > handle these areas better. And it seems from the manual that it
              might
              > just be smarter about these.
              >
              > On the other hand, it could just be that the FR manual is more
              > conservative than the Ambrogio's manual.
              >
              > Any comments/opinions? In my situation is it better to buy the
              > Ambrosia because it is smaller and more agile?
              >
              > --
              > John

            • jeabraham
              Message 6 of 6 , Sep 20, 2005
                --- In RoboMower@yahoogroups.com, "terry_veldhuizen"
                <terry_veldhuizen@y...> wrote:
                > You do not say if what you intend to do at the trees.

                They need to be looped out with the perimeter wire. Some of them are
                actually bushes (cottoneasters) with deep wells. Others are big trees
                with cedar bark mulch that needs to be protected from mowing.

                > Unfortunately, trial and error may be your only way to determine
                > this.

                Seems to me, though, that a smaller machine like the Ambrogio
                Evolution should be able to get into (and out of) smaller spots.
                (Right?)

                Thanks for the help, guys. It's nice to know that the 5 foot width in
                the Friendly manual is overly cautious.

                --
                John